What Are You Doing During The Pre-AWB Gun/Ammo Panic?

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by Liberty4Ever, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Buying all of the guns/ammo I can get!

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Buying guns

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Buying ammo

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Keeping an eye open for any decent buys that might occur

31 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. Posting in online gun forums and/or emailing my gun buddies

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  6. Nothing

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. Telling my congressional representatives NO NEW FIREARMS RESTRICTIONS

53 vote(s)
    61.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I've been reading a lot of comments in KTOG threads concerning the current gun and ammo panic buying in advance of another possible so-called assault weapons ban, and I've also been getting calls and emails from friends. I figure we might be hearing from the vocal minority, so I was just wondering what you guys were doing?

Most multiple choice questions are accompanied by a disclaimer that there are no right or wrong answers, and I think that's mostly true in this case as well, however, I do think that some of these multiple choice answers aren't quite as right as others. :)

2. phideaux

phideaux Fido for short Supporter

Feb 8, 2011
    West Ky
    Hey L4E,
    Besides emailing State and Fed reps and congressmen,

Im already prepped :cool:

So I am also working with some others to get a great "get together event" together TO SHOOT ALL WE CAN AND WANT TO this October.:D:cool:

Jim

3. Skeeter

Skeeter Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Mid-South
    I need the Beans & Rice.

4. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    You bought them in the wrong order! :)

That's a common problem on gun forums. :)

Oh well. Go buy some beans and rice! And flour, and canned soup, and canned vegetables, and pasta.... Before the prices on those go sky high too.

[​IMG]

5. Deadmannumberone

Deadmannumberone New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    You forgot to include "selling for a huge profit."

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's what makes sense.

All the scaremongering and panic does is contribute to the problem. We are our own worst enemy. :(

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Based on th Ar-10 243 thread that just started in Other Guns, my buddy okriii needs to check "Buying guns".

I may need to check "Buying guns" too. I'm still deep in the NAA .22 LR mini revolver pon farr. I think I'll stop by Bud's Gun Shop (my LGS) and see if they have one, but I'm not paying $5 more for it, out of general principles. :D

8. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    That is the other half of the equation. Nobody can be buying, even at highly inflated prices, if someone wasn't willing to sell at those prices. I saw some prices that made me want to sell, and I NEVER sell guns. :cool:

I also didn't include "Sitting on my cases of freeze dried food in my SHTF bunker and listening to Alex Jones on my solar powered shortwave radio", although that's a viable option, too.

Yeah. I'm not feeling too optimistic about 2013. :eek: I have low expectations. I'm just hoping this year is better than 1913, which got us the income tax, Federal Reserve and the run-up to the first world war. Not a good year.

9. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I did buy a gun, but it wasn't one that was in the panic category yet. Although it does fit the description. It's actually based on the gun that inspired Hitler to coin the phrase "Assault Rifle". Mine is just in .22lr.

Attached Files:

10. Littlegirl07

Littlegirl07 New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    North Georgia
    Ammo up every chance you get. Add extra mags as well. Keep it in a sealed box away from moisture and corrosion. I suggest a backup high capacity 12 guage shot gun. Include deer slugs if you can find them.

11. Skeeter

Skeeter Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Mid-South
    Check .

Sell ( low end ) AW for Big $ and Buy Grub.
    * how much will 2 K buy ?

12. Hoosierboy

Hoosierboy New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I am shooting less. I go to the range at least once a month. Having seen all the current talk, I am abstaining because I hate shooting in a packed-to-the-gills range. Also having witnessed the bare shelves at my local Gander, Dicks and Wally World, I know that people are scurrying for anything right now. And if they are smart, most of these noobs will try to get some trigger time with thier shiny new gun. I'll sit this one out, and get back to the range when some legislation is enacted or (hopefully) killed in committee. Hopefully by then, cooler heads will prevail. Also, I'm not loving the idea of trotting out my beloved sub2k into the public for fear of scaring others with my "Black Assault Rifle".

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Observe the tags for this thread: 2013 awb, ammo, buying, gun, panic, shortage

Don't be part of the problem. Be part of the solution. Make your voice heard to government at all levels, but do not contribute to the frenzied panic like the gun community brought upon itself 4 years ago. All that does is increase prices... again. :rolleyes:

Aside from contacting representatives, senators, etc, whatever anyone decides to to do, if anything, should be done privately and quietly. Threads like this that induce hand wringing and panic buying only make matters worse. People who normally would not engage join into the frenzy and it snowballs. Before long, you won't be able to buy a bb gun.

Please do not post more of the same. :(

14. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I checked the box third up from the bottom. Besides that I have been very vocal on FB, trying to get as many people as I can to wake up and see what's being done in our names. If anybody wants to post a link that has the email addresses of our elected officials on it that would be great.

Also, Mitch McConell struck a deal with VP Biden regarding this fiscal cliff issue and I haven't quite read up on it yet so I don't know how good of a deal it actually was. Mitch has been pretty good about defending the 2A too.

15. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    There are many sites like that. Here's a good one. It also has voting records.
    http://votesmart.org

Tax hikes for everyone! Happy New Year!

IMO, the so-called fiscal cliff is the least of our economic worries.

I'm not getting you guys down, am I?

16. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I have not gotten around to emailing my representatives yet, due to out of town company and a funeral, but I plan to do that tomorrow morning.

I also picked up some more primers and powder a while back, but that was more of a normal restocking than a panic. Also because the price was still good at the time I bought, and I expect it to skyrocket. Ditto for a few more rounds of 7.62 (both x39 and x54R). Been meaning to pick up more of those for a while, and the thought of a potential price increase pushed me over the edge to go ahead and order while the prices were still good.

All that stuff I bought is out of stock now. I kringe to see the prices once it comes back in stock.

17. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Something that wasn't mentioned—made an additional contribution to the NRA so they can provide complimentary new memberships to people in the military. Some of these new members will stay in. Although not above criticism, the NRA is by far the most visible and powerful gun rights organization, and the more members it has, the better.

Bought Spike's Tactical .22 lr AR15 uppers with Lothar Walther barrels, (on sale, 20% off during December. They use the same magazines as my PLR-22 and SU-22.:))

Being glad that I have been steadily purchasing firearms, ammo and accessories for years. The last AWB made me appreciate what we could lose in the future, and since its expiration, I have weighted my purchases accordingly. The ban actually piqued my interest. When it expired, I was sitting at my computer, watching the official NIST clock, and the second it became legal, I converted a couple of my P-11 mags to hold 12 rounds (Bwah-ha-ha).

Thanks, President Clinton, for introducing me to the enjoyable pastimes of building and shooting modern sporting rifles, and helping me become an enthusiast. Without the ban, I would have never had an interest in "assault weapons" and would have continued to think that those who did had some kind of problem. Now, I have several AR15's myself, have helped friends choose and set up theirs, and can give several reasons why nearly everybody should have at least one.

buzzsaw

18. WILSONCOMBATCQB

WILSONCOMBATCQB New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    that is funny right there. dont forget the 50# bags of rice... its a must on the check list. also renewed my nra membership

19. :cool::eek::D

20. Electroshot

Electroshot Well-Known Member Supporter

May 9, 2012
    You left out load more ammo and buy reloading supplies.