What ankle holster?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xMirage2kx, Feb 3, 2009.

1. xMirage2kx

xMirage2kx New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I am trying to decide what ankle holster to get. I already have a pocket holster and an IWB holster, but there are times when they dont work. One of these places I can't afford to have a slipup and be caught and the risk of a shirt pullup is to great, Smartcarry wont work, and pocket carry is not an option. This leaves me with little option other than ankle carry (better on the ankle then in the car). I dont care what it costs (within reason) as long as it is comfortable (18hr days), not bulky, and holds the gun tight.

I am thinking about the Fobus ankle holster or the Galco ankle lite holster.
    But I dont know anyone (or any local store) that has them to try, so I am limited to user reviews but can't find any. Does anyone here have any experience with either (or both) of these?

2. randall

randall New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    I got an Uncle Mike's SIDEKICK size 10. It is velcro adjustable everywhere, It has a calf strap to hold it in place but is removable, velcro again. It has a snap down that holds the weapone tightly in the holster and is again velcro adjustable. I cant remember what I payed for it but I'm tight as bark on a tree so I know it wasn't too much. Consider it, I dont think you will be dissapointed  :cool:

3. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I have the Uncle Mike sidekick as well. I used it with my S&W .380. It's lightweight and works well. I'm planning on using it fairly often with my new kel-tec.

4. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    My first recommendation is NEVER use a ankle holster.
    This is based on a personal hostile experience while off duty.
    Some of the reasons are:
    When you bend over someone will knee in the face
    Lifting your leg you have minimal balance
    At most you have one arm, one leg to hold off an attacker while you get your gun.
    Along with never say never the only exception is if your in deep cover with back up observing.
    Change your wardrobe to bigger pockets. Put your wallet in a front pocket put the P3 behind it. Use a fanny pack, wear a jacket.
    Also, ankle holsters can be spotted,
    Norton

5. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Jolie uses a thigh holster that looks pretty good. You might try that.

6. randall

randall New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    I also would not carry an ankle holster as a primary form of carry, but having said that I would use it rather than go un-armed any time. I like to use a inside the waistband carry with the 3AT belt clip but sometimes ya just cant do it. :cool:

7. xMirage2kx

xMirage2kx New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    My problem is I am in a Chem suit much of the day bending down working on different systems, and Driving to these locations the other times. More often than not my little .380 is a backup to something else, but there are times where it is my sole weapon. with no access to pockets or belts ankle really is my quickest option. Until they make a good concealed wrist carry option I am kinda out of luck for good places to keep my gun. I ended up ordering the Fobus holster, and I will let you know how it works. A gun on my ankle is better than one in the golvebox.

8. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Please let us know how you like it! I was concerned that it would be too bulky.....

9. icepic

icepic New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    I was looking into this ankle holster but opted for the pocket holster for now. But it's only good for 16 hrs. ;D Good luck & happy hunting.

http://www.taurisholsters.com/ankle.cfm