What ammo for a P3AT?  

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Carmen, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I've never owned a Kel Tec before, and after much deliberation, decided to jump in and try one. I was told by the person I bought my gun from to not use WWB ammo..which is what I use and love in my Glock 26. But after a search on here, it seems people love WWB for their guns.

I bought a box of Remington which I'll have to use up since it's non returnable, but is it a general consensus that WWB works well for range shooting with a P3AT?

What would you recommend to carry in it? For the best protection?

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Re: What ammo for a P3AT?  

Check here .... -->> .380 AMMO TESTS

3. ptk

ptk New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Carmen,

Do not be afraid to try any standard pressure .380 ammo (aka 9x17) in your P-3AT. Mine does not have a problem with Winchester white box ammo. Occasional minor problems (FTEs, FTFs, etc) are fine in practice (you should know and practice the drill for malfunctions). But please run at least 200 rounds for break-in through your P-3AT before you start to judge carry ammo.

For carry ammo (after break-in!), run at least two boxes through the gun without failures to qualify it. I have found Winchester silvertips to function well, but velocity is only around 800 fps out of my P-3AT. Much harder hitting out of my P-3AT have been the Remington Golden Sabers, reliable and slightly over 900 fps (feet/second). The latter is now my carry ammo, after checking on the chronograph, and accepting other people's terminal ballistics results.

For practice, I contine to use anything, but favor magazine loads of Golden Saber that have been carried a while, and my lead reloads that are close in ballistic performance. After break-in, it has been hard to find ammo that gives me malfunction drill practice!

Regards,
    Paul

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

For everyday shooting and for interleaving with carry ammo - AE FMJ. Cheap, good, reliable and an awesome penetrator. Mix it up with Corbon DPX and you have the best of both worlds. Of course after extensive testing to make sure it works well in your pistol.

-Scott

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

WWB works fine for range work for me. I can usually get American Eagle FMJ cheaper though, and it feeds and fires in all of my KTs.

Carry ammo in all weapons in the house is Corbon DPX.

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

After doing a complete fluff and buff I just ran 50 rounds each of Magtech and American Eagle FMJ's and several mags of Speer Gold Dot JHP's through my new P-3AT. Every round cycled and shot flawlessly! No data to back this up but the way my hand felt those Gold Dots are a pretty hot round.

7. clint1948

clint1948 New Member

Mar 5, 2008

+1 on the Remington Golden Sabers,  I purchased about $200.00 worth of 380 in the last two years :'(.  Trying to find something besides HB that would feed reliably in my P3AT.  It happens to be the Rem GS. It works well in my pistol and has good terminal ballistics for a short BBL gun.

Clint  

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

Shot several mags of Golden Sabers through my P3AT today. Every round cycled perfect like everything else I've shot through it. The Golden Sabers seemed a little milder than the Speer Gold Dots I shot a couple days ago.