What ammo does P-3AT hate??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gatorguy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Have you found any specific kinds of ammo that your P-3AT just doesn't like??

It seems like I am having ejection problems and feeding problems with just about any ammo I try. CCI Blazers, Hydra-Shock, Gold Dots, etc. I've shot 200-300 rounds and have a failure to feed or eject with about every single mag. I'm not limpwristing either.

I'm thinking I may need to send it in to the factory to have them do one over on it. I noticed the warranty said you must provide a reciept when you send the gun back. Have you found this to be the case?? I bought it brand new from a dealer at a gun show, but I either didn't get a receipt or lost it. I have the original box/paperwork though.

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    .50 Caliber BMG? ;D

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    They don't worry about the receipt. If you can't get it running right, send it back with a note describing what you tried and what is happening. You can ship it UPS Ground as "machine parts" (don't ask-don't tell) for $10 insured for $300.

BTW, does it function with FMJ? Regarding ejection... Is it extracting? Is the button head screw snug?

Polished the feed ramp? Proper lube, etc...

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/keltec.htm

4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Make sure that the button head screw on the ejection spring is tight. I have not used lock tight on mine yet, and I should. I need to tighten mine about every 30-40 rounds. That plus not limp wristing will help a lot. Good Luck, Tom

5. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    I must be one of the lucky ones.
    I run a bore snake though in barrel every range trip.
    About two mags of 90gr or 95gr FMJ.
    I made a wooden mag, to hold the slide back.
    I field strip and clean every box (50 rounds).
    No problems.
    Charlie.

6. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Gatorguy you have to get a new name.

7. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Oddly, mine liked most hollow points over FMJ's. Don't go trying to figure that as it will only lead to hurt. I now rarely have a problem with FMJ's. Yes, there was a break in period of about 300 rounds. HOWEVER, after I stopped being cheap and spent the money on gun grease (Shooters Choice) my feeding problems were reduced to almost non-existent. OK, occasionally the Remingtons, green and white box, will fail to feed. However, I always had problems with them as the gun became dirty. When the gun is clean then I have no problems Remington ammo. I noticed the Over-All-Length (OAL) is much shorter than the Winchester White Box ammo. That could be a factor. I also shot groups about 1" higher with the Remington than other brands. I still buy Remington ammo.

So for FMJ's: the WWB is good, Sellier and Bellot work, Blazer Brass is awesome!

Big warning follows: Magtech ammo is not to be used in MY P3AT, ever. Maybe ok in your gun but never to be used in my P3AT. It will only fire one round and then jam. It does this every time. I tried a different box several months later and the same dang problems occur. Sure I could work through the boxes but then Kel Tec looks bad on the range. So I feed the Magtech to a very hungry Bersa Thunder 380.

For hollow points I recommend Remington Golden Sabers and Corbon DPX. The latter is harder to find. The GS are nickel plated to protect against corrosion, the rounded bullet helps with the feeding, the mass (102gr) is more than most 380 hp's and this may improve penetration. Lastly, the Golden Sabers are made made with low flash powder!

8. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Mine's never choked on anything but Wolf.

9. gooseabuse

gooseabuse New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    ++++++++++++1000000000000 on the WOLF

32 of 50 rounds FTE using Wolf FMJ.  I think the steel cases aren't recommended and the extraction groove on the case should be a little taller than what it is.

3 FTE with WWB FMJ in 300 rounds.  Not bad, relatively.  1 FTE in 100 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ.

10. Barnetmill

Barnetmill New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    I have also had problems with russian steel case ammo.

11. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008

I'm glad they don't worry about the receipt. I did look at the button head screw and I might have gotten a quarter turn on it. I have been lurking here for a while and have read all of the fluff and buff stuff, but I haven't done any of it. I am thinking I'd rather the factory do it than me. I guess I'm worried about voiding the warranty or something.

I keep it clean and lubed up with Lucas gun oil. I will say that I have not used any grease on it like that website advises. Does the grease make that much difference?

I used to carry my Kel-Tec alot, but I got to where I don't trust it at all to function properly. I know I can count on the first round, and that's it. I'd like to change my thoughts by getting it working like I've read it can.

Kel-Tec's factory is about 1.5 hours from me in Central Fl. I think I've read about people dropping their guns off directly to them, but I would probably still UPS it.

12. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Why would I ever want to do that? :-? :-?

13. tkc

tkc New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    When I got mine I cleaned it good and put plenty of CLP on it.  I run  a boresnake through it after each session and make sure it has a light coating of CLP in all the right places.  I have run 5 different types of ammo through it an have yet to have a problem of any kind but it is the chrome model and that may help.  

14. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    If it's at all possible to find that dealer again I would ask him for a duplicate receipt. I would even bribe him with $10 just to have a receipt, you never know when a cop may ask you for proof of ownership. Or, God forbid, if the gun ever gets stolen you will be asked for proof you have the correct serial number. I make it a point to save all my receipts and I memorize all the serial numbers.

It was posted here that someone called KT and asked what kinds of ammo to AVOID. They were told Wolf, Glaser, and MagSafe. I assume the G and M are because of the fragmenting design. Several people have had problems with the lacquered Wolf as I described in another thread.

If the gun is new to you I would first do a throrough clean and lube, then test it with a solid 200 rounds of round nose FMJ before trying HPs like the Gold Dot.

15. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Mine don't like Winchester Clean . I'v had very good luck with Golden Saber 102 gr

16. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    mine likes Monarch brand FMJ from Academy...and does not like WWB FMJ (flat nose) ...but it's not a range hog...I just shoot a mag or two at the range (close up) for fun and to remind me how it feels every couple of weeks...and clean everything (Sig 228, PF9, AR, 3AT etc) the next day. :cool:

17. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    I forgot to mention in my first post that I have also had several failures to fire.  I'll look at the primer and it has a little dimple in it, but no bang.  If I "try again", it goes bang.  Is this a known issue?

It was mostly CCI Blazers, I believe (I bought a case). I'm thinking I've had it happen with some "premium" ammo also.

18. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Yes, it's caused by short stroking the trigger. That is, the trigger isn't allowed to reset all the way (both clicks) and the hammer just falls forward off the hammer block. It will cause a light strike every time.

To hear the effect, make sure your P3-AT is unloaded, then while holding the slide back, pull the trigger (it will be limp). Allow the slide to return to battery, then slowly release the trigger. Note the clicking sounds. If you were to only release it far enough to hear the first click and then pull it again (don't try this without a snap cap), that would be short stroking.

19. Gatorguy

Gatorguy New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    So what you are saying is that I didn't allow the trigger to come all the way back forward before I pulled it again for the next shot?  That's interesting.  I do have some snap caps, so I'll go play with that in a few minutes.  I don't think I've ever had to worry about letting the trigger come all the way back before with any other firearm I've owned.  The motion seems a bit inefficient to allow the extra travel, but if it is necessary, then it is necessary. Hmm.

20. forestranger

forestranger Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    It's like shooting DA revolver. If you don't let trigger release all the way, you'll short stroke it too.