What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Johnny_Reb, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I just picked up my first KT this past Sunday. Tonight I finally got a chance to clean/fluff and buff. I can't get the slide to rack after I reasmbel it, what am I doing wrong? I'm sure it's something stupid. Thatnks for your help.

Scott

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Take it back apart, when you reassemble make sure the assembly pin is through the cut out in the barrel lug. Just a guess.

3. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I took it back apart, still no good. Everything looks right. When I put the slide back on the frame it'll move maybe a half inch, that's it.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Put ONLY the slide on the frame and see if that will go all the way back

If you can't put the slide on far enough to put the pin back in, that is the hammer needs to be reset

If it only goes back 1/8", that is when the barrel starts to cam down, did the barrel start to go down or go down. it could be the interface between the slide and the upper barrel lug needs lube.

try just the slide, no barrel no spring and get back

5. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I tried just the slide, still won't go back. How do I reset the hammer?

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Take thumb and push it back like the slide would during recoil.  
    Like cocking a revolver
    It will click and stay

when it is reset, you will see the striking face

7. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    the hammer is sticking up out of the frame at about a 45 degree angle. When I push it back with my thumb it does not stay, it returns to the 45 degree angle.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    That is the reset position.

You said  you can push it down with thumb, so the slide going over should not be a problem there.

Now even with just the slide it takes a good amount of pull to go past the slide back 1/2"

Agin with just the slide, it should be easy to the normal battery position, then be easy for a 1/4", then it will require a hard pull to press the hammer down for about 3/4", then be easy for the remaining 1 1/4" travel

Put a dab of grease on thaat hammer face

9. Johnny_Reb

Johnny_Reb New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I got it. I guess I must be REALLY weak tonight. I'd better get in bed and get some rest. Thanks again.

Scott

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm sure glad
    Talladaga Nights just come on ;)

"Shake and Bake"