What about moisture?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Conner2, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Conner2

Conner2 New Member

May 7, 2009
    I have the ability to carry at work, and usually do. However, I work outside, and when it rains, well, I get wet. Sometimes everything I have (keys, wallet, etc.) get pretty soaked. Short of not carrying, how can I keep my 3AT dry, or what should I do if it gets wet? (or damp)

I usually carry in my front cargo pocket with a #7 Action Holster by Ramsey (Wallet Holster)

2. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    When mine gets soaked I field strip it as soon as possible and blow it out with compressed air, then proceed to clean and re-oil and grease the rails and barrel lug.

3. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I'd think of getting another "tool for the job"  :).
    I'd feel more secure of going bang when I need it with a revolver if you plan on or expect to get wet any more than humidity.
    Just another reason to buy another tool, you need it  ;)

4. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    +1 to JB. If extreme wetness is a concern, I'd be carrying a revolver. They aren't dependent on lube to run right, and will go bang just about ANYTIME.

When I'm doing extended camping or we're on a hike with a good chance of getting wet, I'll plan ahead and carry the SP-101.

5. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
  6. nighthawk80

nighthawk80 New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    You could always put it in a plastic ziplock sandwich bag. You should be able to still pull the trigger with it on?

7. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have not had any corrosion issues with my P3AT since I started using Militec-1 oil. I baked it onto all the steel components to make it bond with the metal. If it were to get wet I would clean it as soon as possible and re-apply.

8. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Desantis Nemesis is pretty good at keeping the moisture off even when I have been totally soaked. I also had my slide refinished and keep it oiled up well.

+1 For the baggy though, I have done the small one on my NAA mini at the pool before. :)

9. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Freezer baggie keeps my P3AT dry in the hot tub and pool. May not be tough enough for all-day work activity, though.

Ammo is another thing to consider. I have soaked several brands of 380 ammo in water, and found that only the Federal HydraShok is sealed well enough to be unaffected. Take that round apart and you can see why - they seal the bullet to the case with tar/pitch. At the other end of the spectrum - Corbon - relatively loose bullet in case = most likely to fail if soaked.

If you get your ammo wet, it might be best to discard it, or maybe shoot it off at the range (watch for "squib" loads, though!), and carry fresh ammo. Here is what various 380 rounds look like after being soaked...
    [​IMG]

10. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Wow, excellent info and good pics! how long did they soak?

11. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Glad you like it. I have tried varying times from 5 minutes to 1 week (trying to break the HydraShok ammo - I couldn't). If I remember correctly, the above pic is after 1 day - but a more detailed report should still be around the P3AT section somewhere.

Better still, try your own test - damp rag, in a glass of water, whatever is meaningful to you. Just beware of shooting such test ammo - a squib load could blow up in your hand.

12. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

You might also want to consider EEZ X it is suppose to be some of the best stuff you can use for rust protection.

Tom j.

13. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I'm a firm beliver in testing for myself. Not only is if useful, it is fun. Wheelguy, I want to clairfy sompfin you said, if only to make sure I understood you. You said "a squib load could blow up in your hand". Is that because the load might 'over fire', or are you refering to a really light ignition that only sends the bullet partway up the barrel, then the next shot fired is firing into an obstructed barrel? Also, with regards to the original thread, If I fall into water, head under, totally wet, do I need to pull the side plate of a revolver to dry/clean it? My p3 would of course get pulled down to piece parts and dried, lubed, and generally pampered, would a revolver need anything other than a wipe down? (any submerged ammo would become range ammo).

Thanks guys,
    lop

14. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    LOP - to clarify - I did mean that a water soak test would render some rounds very light, so light that you may get a bullet stuck in the barrel (I did on 2 of my tests), and the followup shot would hit the stuck bullet causing a kaboom. Thanks for pointing that out.

If my J-Frame wheel gun got dunked, I probably would take off the cover plate and clean/dry/lube everything in there. I'd like to think that the lube in there would protect it, but why take a chance?