Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my fantasy gun build.

I'm not all that interested in a short barreled .223/5.56. I don't own a PLR16, but I recently came across a part that makes it a very attractive firearm. But at this point it's just a fantasy firearm since the base gun in 300BLK doesn't exist (yet).

FWIW, I have no connection of any sort to the manufacturer.

Not so much the binary trigger, but the stripped lower to turn it into either an arm braced handgun or a SBR. Oh, and in 300BLK it would really shine because 300BLK was designed to work best in a short barrel. My fantasy PLR16 must be in 300BLK.

Anyway, I think it would make a really neat little, lightweight, PDW, bug out gun, heck, it could even be used for up to medium sized game.

One potential fly in the ointment, it's threaded and KT suggests that it doesn't get suppressed. Does anyone know why? Subsonic 300BLK really cries out for a can on the end. Still in my fantasy, If I got one and did what I suggest above to it I'd be very tempted to suppress it.

Of course "my" base gun isn't made at this time, so the above, for me at least, is just a fantasy.

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
There was some talk of getting a 300BLK barrel blank and machining a PLR barrel, but to my knowledge nobody has done it. I agree that a 300BLK PLR with subsonic ammo would excel for a PDW. I think when Kel-Tec first envisioned the PLR-16, it was imagined as a long range pistol, as in, Pistol Long Range or PLR, but that's not how must of us use the PLR-16. The design doesn't look like a long range pistol. If it was, it would have a bipod. Maybe there are some jurisdictions where long range features would legally make it not a pistol, so it might revert to some sort of NFA item?

When 300BLK was the latest hotness, Kel-Tec teased at a SHOT Show that they'd soon be releasing a 300BLK SU-16, but that never happened, which is a shame. It would be a short hop to a 300BLK PLR. We never got the promised 6.5 Grendel SU-16 either. But we do have a 50 round 5.7 P50, if that's your PDW cup of tea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts