Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never ending quest to find cheap 7.62x51 ammo to feed my RFB I ran across some FNM Portugal 1982-1983 FMJ, NC/BE brass case ammo for .35 cents/round. Not a bad price I thought even considering the sellers condition of ***Ammo may be slightly corroded***. I won't mention the seller. This ammo is easy to find on the internet.

Now I can imagine slightly corroded but never imaged what I found in the picture below. About 30 percent of the 1000 rounds purchased are in this condition. I can clean most of it up but it takes a bit of work. Some of the rounds I just won't take a chance and will dispose.

I took some of the ammo apart to see just how far the corrosion went as you can see in the last picture. It looks shootable but like I said it's going to take some work to smooth out the roughness.

Do you consider this slightly corroded? Should I raise a stink with the seller? Or, just suck it up and get to work?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
You know if the powder was still good and not clumped up i'd clean them off and shoot them through a old $60 mauser, but nothing like that would get close to my $400 rimmie.

Bought some 303 that looked like than, maybe it was gave to me. Shot a couple and heard a squib, i pull the bullets out of the rest of them!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was this from a large seller that perhaps just looked at a sample of a pallet? It could be possible that what they thought was in the whole lot was based off of one good box. So, maybe don't raise a stink but just send them the above pic and ask if this really fits their definition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The powder is in great shape. I pulled about 20 bullets and the powder rolled right out. I've cut a few more cases looking for corosion on the inside but haven't found any. I just think this is more than slightly corroded.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Corroded, yes. Slightly, No. To me slightly means it has some very light basically cosmetic corrosion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To me, slight corrosion would be something you could wipe off with a 3M green scrubber pad. Any pitting on the case or the bullet would not fit my definition of "slightly" :eek:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I put down my guns for 'a while' when my dad died. Some of the ammo and such sat for 5 years or so just as I had left it. My .44 mag ammo was stored in a leather pouch, and when I pulled it out, it was as bad or worse than that; rounds were stuck together with a greenish goo.

I cleaned each round, one by one (thankfully there were only around 30 or so in my case) and they all cleaned up fine. The brass and bullets were undamaged underneath, and every round fired without trouble. But it was not easy to clean it off, had to actually scrape at it sometimes.

So, I will bet that your ammo is safe to use and works fine once the gunk is off. However, what a pain that is going to be...

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
"Slighty corroded" is like "a little rust" in a sellers description. Both mean "buyer beware". You are taking a chance. If I took a gamble on "slightly corroded" and received ammo like that, I would be mad at myself, not the seller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts