Wetpack test: Fiocchi XTP JHP, etc.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DT_Willy, Aug 26, 2007.

1. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I was intrigued by this new .380acp offering from Fiocchi, a 90g. HP topped by the Hornady XTP bullet. I prepared my wetpack as usual, in this case, supersaturated with water for about 10 hours. I shot 3 rounds of the Fiocchi into the wetpack from a distance of about 10 feet. For comparison, I also shot a couple rounds of the highly regarded Corbon DPX, and the new Doubletap Gold Dot HP. Here are the expansion/penetration results. Remember that penetration in wetpack is approximately 2/3 of what it would be in ballistic gelatin.

1. Fiocchi: Penetration: 6.5-6.75". Expansion: .45"
    2. Corbon DPX: Penet.: 5.5-6.0". Exp: .68"
    3. Doubletap Gold Dot: Penet: 5.5-5.75". Exp: .52"

Clearly, the Hornady XTP bullet has minimal expansion out of the short-barreled P3AT, getting a bit more penetration with its near-FMJ profile. This test is consistent with other tests I've seen, where the Hornady XTP bullet shows some failings as an expander. The Corbon DPX still shows the premier expansion in .380acp HP ammo, as well as excellent (for this caliber) penetration. The Doubletap Gold Dot is an outstanding alternative, with its proven Speer bullet, and does well in both test criteria. It's cost ($24 for 50) compared to the DPX (over $20 for 20) makes it especially appealing.

2. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hay great work!! going to pick up some of the Gold Dot stuff right away I like the DPX stuff but as pointed out it is expensive, say where can you pick the Gold Dot stuff? Wonder if Cheaper Then Dirt carries it?

Tom j

3. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Great info. Thanks for the effort. I think that I have decided to keep FMJ in mine but wonder all the time if I shouldn't go with JHP.

4. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  5. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I have never tested BH ammo, but it is supposed to be excellent stuff, quite accurate and quite hot. Someday....

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Think I'll pickup a box of both! say whats the accuracy like with the Gold Dot?

Tom j

7. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks for the very informative test!! :)

8. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Can you tell me what distance you shot the wet pack at. It appears that your results go along with my own regarding the Hornady penetrating more and expanding less. Even in my 9mm, the bullet penetrated but did not expand.

My best penetration at 21 feet was with Fiocchi FMJ which penetrated to 6.5 inches. Gold dot penetrated to 4.5 but expanded well.

John from MD

9. johnfrommd

johnfrommd Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Disregard the distance question. I somehow missed your 10 foot statement.

John from MD

10. DT_Willy

DT_Willy New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    There are many fans of the Doubletap ammo, especially in the larger calibers. There's just so much you can do with a hollowpoint in .380acp, and I think Corbon DPX, Doubletap/ Gold Dot, and perhaps Remington Golden Saber are about the best choices out there at this time. Other HPs seem to be a step below in performance, from the testing I have done. Of course, the whole question of whether a HP is the best choice in .380acp is a whole other question, one that has been argued to death for years on this forum and elsewhere.

11. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I feel the best way to make that determination would be to look at the size and depth of the wound channels, here's a quote from another forum where the writer questions the necessity of the larger calibers. If you look at the size of the wound channels in the link below I think it answers that question.

Tom j

Here are the ballistic gelatin results for DoubleTap 9mm and .40. Note the similarities in penetration and final expanded size of the bullet. This data certainly calls into question whether there was ever really a "need" for the .40 to be developed.

First measruement is penetration into the "four layers of demin and some cloth" FBI test and the last measurement is how much the recovered bullet had expanded to in inches.

9mm+P
    115gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1415fps - 12.00" / .70"
    124gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1310fps - 13.25" / .70"
    147gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.00" / .66"

.40 S&W
    135gr. Nosler JHP @ 1375fps - 12.10" / .72"
    155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1275fps - 13.00" / .76"
    165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1200fps - 14.0" / .70"
    180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1100fps - 14.75" / .68"
    200gr XTP @ 1050fps - 17.75" / .59"

The general "word on the street" is that the Double Tap ammo is quality stuff at a fair price.
    I've liked what I have purhcased so far (he is the best source of "hot" 10mm hand-phaser ammo). Delivery is pretty quick too - if I order on Monday I generally have it before the end of the week.

Now, supposedly, Winchester has come out with a new second-generation Ranger-T bullet that also expands impressively with those wonderfuly sinister starfish "talons" extended (rather than curled back along the side of the bullet). Just don't call them "talons". That spooks the sheeple into stampede mode. Winchester calls them "petals" .

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964