Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up from the same guy I bought that nib 30 year old NEF 92. Used but not much. From what I found out it's a Marlin 80. No serial# but micro groove barrel. This puts it between early 50's and 1967. Has peep sight holes on the left rear of receiver but no peep. The rifle case is a vintage Brauer Bros. He was not going to include it and I was going to take it home in a garbage bag and he said keep the case. Paid 100 bucks. Wadda think? The case pic didn't come out.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Brown Material property Shotgun

·
Registered
574 Posts
Picked this up from the same guy I bought that nib 30 year old NEF 92. Used but not much. From what I found out it's a Marlin 80. No serial# but micro groove barrel. This puts it between early 50's and 1967. Has peep sight holes on the left rear of receiver but no peep. The rifle case is a vintage Brauer Bros. He was not going to include it and I was going to take it home in a garbage and he said keep the case. Paid 100 bucks. Wadda think? The case pic didn't come out.

Looks like a nice clean weapon. For $100 bucks you can't go wrong.
View attachment 32400 View attachment 32401 View attachment 32402

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a magnum. It shoots 22s-22l-22lr. Which I prefer. A lot cheaper. LOL>

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to show the case. I'm almost as impressed with it as the rifle. Real leather with a soft pile lining. Brauer Bros made it. I wonder how old it is?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The rifle looks in beautiful condition for its age. The Blue Book gives these dates for the Marlin models.

Model 80 - 1934-1939.
Model 80E - 1934-1940.
Model 80C - 1940-1970.
Model 80DL - 1940-1965.
Model 80G - 1960-1965, Marlin Glenfield.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rifle looks in beautiful condition for its age. The Blue Book gives these dates for the Marlin models.

Model 80 - 1934-1939.
Model 80E - 1934-1940.
Model 80C - 1940-1970.
Model 80DL - 1940-1965.
Model 80G - 1960-1965, Marlin Glenfield.
According to what I found out early 50's and down had Ballard rifling. Less grooves and lands. Before 1968(gun control act) serial numbers were not required. So I figured as mine has the micro groove rifling and no ser# it falls between early 50's and 1967. Or 1965 as your list seems to indicate. I guess no way to really nail it down.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gun control act of 1968 REQUIRED manufactures to use serial numbers. Previous to 1968 is was not required. Manufactures did use serial# before 1968 but some did not. Probably Marlin did not serial numbers to guns they made for companies like Western Auto. Just a guess.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's Nov 1967. Got it off Marlin Collectors Forum. Unserialized 22 rimfires between 62-67 had a 2 letter date code on the barrel near the receive. Mine is kk.
From 1962 thru 1968 Marlins rimfire rifles (other than the 39 series lever actions) used a two letter date code that was stamped on the barrel. This date code is different than the one already listed, as Marlin rimfire rifles (other than the model 39 series) did not have a serial numbers until required to by Law after 1968. The first letter of the date code represented the month of manufacture while the second letter indicated the year. This date code was usually stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. The first letter of the date code is as follows:

A = Jan.
B = Feb.
C = Mar.
D = Apr.
E = May
F = June
G = July
H = Aug.
I = Sep.
J = Oct.
K = Nov.
L = Dec.

The second letter of the date code is as follows:

F = 1962
G = 1963
H = 1964
I = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968

So a date code of "JK" would indicate that rifle was made in October of 1967.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I had it disassembled if you call it that. Hold trigger. Pull out bolt. One screw that holds stock to receiver/barrel and that's it. Very simple mechanics inside as compared to my semi auto Marlin 995. Except maybe the bolt which I'm not going to fiddle with. Spraying out with brake clean did it. Wiped the outside of the bolt with Balistol and a drop in the cocking part. The bore looked like it had a few rounds more then test firing but not much. Put a few drops of Balistol down muzzle and from breech end and rotated it so the bore was covered. Ran the bore snake thru it a few times and it's as bight as new. The rest just dusty and dry. A few drops of hardened lube or grease here and there. Just cleaned it up and relube. The mag had a base plate I slid off and cleaned it out. This was in the group of guns the guy bought thru an estate sale. I'm thinking that just like that never used Nef 92 from the same estate the orig owner just wanted it but it never got shot much if at all.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I like it! These days I would say that any, working gun in even decent condition for $100 or less is a steal - and that one looks to be in much better than just 'decent' condition.

Reactions: fez

·
Banned
38 Posts
Picked this up from the same guy I bought that nib 30 year old NEF 92. Used but not much. From what I found out it's a Marlin 80. No serial# but micro groove barrel. This puts it between early 50's and 1967. Has peep sight holes on the left rear of receiver but no peep. The rifle case is a vintage Brauer Bros. He was not going to include it and I was going to take it home in a garbage bag and he said keep the case. Paid 100 bucks. Wadda think? The case pic didn't come out.

View attachment 32400 View attachment 32401 View attachment 32402
just traded my 1959 Marlin 60 with scope ($100) at Shoot Straight in Plm Bch FL for a keltec 2000 and a bit o cash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.