We're looking for Writers!

Discussion in 'Articles' started by KTOG, Aug 9, 2017.

1. KTOG

KTOG Administrator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Hey guys, Austin here,

I would really like to restart our articles section. It was a great way to have people find us, and I know you writers had some fun too.

As always I'm offering one year in our supporting membership program per article, so if you have something Kel-Tec or 2nd amendment based that you would like to share with the world please start a conversation with me, or post to this thread and I'll start one with you.

If you're what to write about but want to write, contact me anyway, I'd be happy to talk it out with you.

Thanks for considering and I hope to hear from you soon!

lklawson, SHOOTER13 and haugrdr like this.
  2. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Come on guys, someone has got to be interested? A picture article on how to break down your _____ Kel-Tec would be good. Anyone interested in shooting some photos?

Really we need writers, but we can start there.

Austin

3. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Before the forum software change, I had several TekWorks articles from the old KTOG.org that I'd refurbed and put in the articles submission section. They weren't "Kirk Originals" but I think they qualified for repub.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Thanks for offering to help @lklawson.

They aren't published anywhere else, but were originally published here correct? I just want to clarify to make sure. I just got told today that we can't republish. If it's nowhere on the net though I wouldn't see it as an issue. Let me know and I'll check.

Does anyone else want to help?

5. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    They are/were published at KTOG.org.

(mobile)

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    He's asking if they were also published anywhere else, on the internet, etc...

7. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Great! I'm sure I could republish those since they are gone now.

Does anyone else have an interest in writing for us? Even if it's just a review of a gun or accessory you already own that would be great. Modifications are great too.

I'm hoping I'll have a list of topics by the end of the week which should help some of you hold outs that don't know what to write about.

8. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    I'm still looking for writers, so if you're interested, or think you know somebody that might be please contact me so I can get them started. I really think articles will take us over the top so I implore you all to put thought into who you would want to write for the community?

Not that good at writing? That's fine, I can work with you to get it up to publication standards.

Austin

9. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161113013311/http://www.ktog.org:80/tecwerks.htm

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015

You're suggesting I republish all those correct?

Come on guys, I need original articles. It can be how to field strip, care, and maintenance, your favorite Ket-Tec, you name it, but we need original articles to help get our articles page started.

Please help us out.

11. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Some or all.

I can provide a list of potential subjects, some shorter/easier, others less so, if that would help.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    Here's some article ideas:
    • What is gun powder, is there a difference between "black powder," and smokeless, rifle/pistol?
    • What are the 3 major parts of a gun? (Lock, Stock, and Barrel?)
    • Reloader's perspective: Why do some powder's measure/meter better than some others?
    • Reloader's perspective: This one simple life hack to my press cut hours off my reloading time!
    • Which Kel Tec pistols can I dry-fire without a snap cap and why?
    • This one simple tool you can make in 5 min. lets you dry fire your PF9 without re-racking the slide!
    • White's Trigger Stop on Kel Tec pistols.
    • Why you don't really need a trigger stop on a defensive pistol.
    • Sig's new gun isn't actually Drop Safe, but is my Kel Tec?
    • How many shells can I put in my KSG (along with a pictures and short introduction/history of KSG).
    • Should I shoot with one eye or both eyes open?
    • Trigger Discipline doesn't mean black leather, whips, and guns.
    • Reloader's perspective: What is the difference between primers, Large Pistol, Small Pistol, Large Rifle, Small Rifle, and "Magnum"?
    • Light Strikes? I didn't know the Sun was unionized! - What are light strikes and why is it happening?
    • My Gun Went "Click" : What is a dud round and what do I do about it?
    • What is a Snap Cap and why do I want one?
    • Maintenance: How do I keep my gun from rusting?
    • Maintenance: Should I use oil or grease (and can I use automotive grease)?
    • What is a B.U.G. and do I need a flyswatter?
    • "Tap, Rack, Bang" isn't sexual but you need to know how to do it anyway.

And about a zillion others. I know that a lot of these ideas are basic but the "gun community" needs lots of info on basics because there are lots and lots of new shooters and new owners out there who don't know what things like trigger discipline means, if they can use that cheap tube of axle grease instead of the expensive (and small) tube of RIG, or what dry fire practice is or how it could help them.

On a plus side, a lot of these articles are one-pagers. Would take as much space/words as this post and all of you are experienced enough to write a few of them.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Admin, SavageGuy and phideaux like this.
  13. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Those are great ideas! Does anyone feel like writing on them? We do need writers guys.

14. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I'll give a short one a try. Let me get my head around this.

15. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    The problem is the extensive mountain of info already in posts on the board available with a simple search.gif . Almost every thing you can do to every model of KT gun is already there. (that's a kudo:))
    Most people that want to know how to field-strip a gun, hit youtube first. It's easier watching it being done than reading pages trying to describe the procedure.
    If I were to offer a how-to to the masses, it would be How to take difficult pictures of gun parts. Black parts with detail, close-up pictures that aren't uselessly fuzzy:wall:, etc.

Or how to make sense of all of the lubes, and why one is perfect for something but none is perfect for everything. What are the trade-offs using the wrong one on which parts.
    The guns don't need that many, but just one won't do.

haugrdr likes this.
  16. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    I can appreciate that, but we need it here, so anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

Kirk, I spoke with y boss and he says we can't republish your articles. Sorry. I'm glad I asked before I proceeded with it.

17. Alex88

Alex88 Member

Jul 12, 2016
    California
    Now that I've had my KSG for at least half a year with a few rounds through it, and have taken it apart enough times, I'm thinking to do a KSG beginner's/maintenance guide - I know I'm far from experienced relative to most of the regulars here and would gladly defer to someone more experienced if wanted, but I think I could get some of the basics together with time (and hopefully figure out how to get usable photos with my camera).

For my experience so far, that's what I feel would be most useful - a condensed summary of the main safety/workings/maintenance/troubleshooting of the gun (maybe a separate guide per common Kel-Tec model), something to answer the question of 'now I bought my gun - how does it work?'.

One thing I could incorporate for the KSG guide is the KSG serial number converter that I updated: https://goo.gl/UoZ3W8 (original converter by danger355)
    Definitely agree with that - an example with myself, even after having a 1000+ rounds through my KSG I know I'm far from being fully comfortable with the KSG (smooth sight acquisition, shooting from various positions, accounting for various ranges and loads, etc.) - so now I know the basics of safety with it and what to do for various failures (have known general firearms practices over the years from previous experience, but here more so for getting to know the KSG specifically).

lklawson likes this.
  18. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Great! I'd be happy to see what you come up with. When you're done start a conversation with me and send it my way. Thanks for your interest!

Is anyone else interested? It can be a simple break down the article with some photos. You don't have to be a kel-tec expert to write for us.

19. KTOG

Dec 17, 2015
    Great! I'd be happy to see what you come up with. When you're done start a conversation with me and send it my way. Thanks for your interest!

Is anyone else interested? It can be a simple break down the article with some photos. You don't have to be a kel-tec expert to write for us.

20. lklawson

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    A review and some discussion about maintenance or whatever would be welcome.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

21. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Active Member

Jul 17, 2017
    If i can find the time, I'm thinking about writing a KSG enhanced "fluff and buff" article from a gunsmiths perspective.

Alex88 and lklawson like this.