Went shooting today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by learfxr, Dec 29, 2007.

1. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Went to the indoor range today with my P3AT and my Glock 22. I installed the trigger shoe and belt clip on the P3AT. The trigger shoe didn't last 5 rounds. I thought I had it tight, it left marks on the trigger from the set screws, but it tilted off to the side and I easy slipped it off after that. I took it all apart last week and did some light sanding on parts to help with a jamming issue. It jammed once tonight during 25 rds. It was shooting to the right. Last time I shot it I was surprised how accurate I was with the tiny sites, now I'm shooting half my rounds way right. Prob just me, but it did not make me happy. I shot 50 rds through the Glock and realize just how much I love my Glock. I want to pocket carry the P3AT, but I'm loosing faith in it. :'(

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Once you lose faith, do you plan to just put it in the safe or try and sell it?

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Do I hear, oh, $100.00 on the table?

-Scott

4. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    If it goes that far, I'll sell it or trade it. I would like to add a revolver to my collection, so it may get replaced. The instructor at the range told me to try another 200rds through it and see if it comes around. He thinks it may still need some breaking in. I usually only run 50rds at a time in it since it hurts my fingers on the right hand. My skin was dry today and it tore up my skin a little.

I really fell in love with the size of the gun when I bought it, but it's been pretty disappointing to shoot. Only one trip to the range didn't have jamming issues. I usually have 3/50rds. Today, after some buff work last week, I had 1jam/25-30rds. It loaded better on the first round, but still jammed on ejection.

5. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I'd leave it in my nightstand drawer for that.

If it doesn't start acting better it will find it's way back to KT I'm sure. Then we'll see how it acts.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Can you help a little with what you mean by "jam?" Is it failing to feed, failing to eject, failing to fire or ??? Generally a few rounds in 50 means limpwristing... There is no extra mass in this weapon at all to hold it still (unlike your glock). If you let it move at all during fire you will have fails to eject and/or fails to feed. If you have not shot this little of a gun before - and you have not since you just fell in love with its size - there might be some breaking in for both of you to do. I have taken more than one P3AT that the owner thought was a POS because it "always jammed" and fired several hundred perfect rounds through it. Like I said, it could be that both of you need some breaking in or it could be that there is a small problem that can be worked on if you let us know what is happening.

-Scott

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Wouldn't this be the ONLY gun this little ;) weight to recoil that is

8. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    The most common is fail to eject. I wish I had taken a pic with my blackberry while at the range, but the only thing in my mind was to clear it and make it safe. The spent round was kicked up in the rear and sticking out. It was directly above the round in the magazine. That's what normally happens. It fails to eject a casing and it jams the slide. It had a few issues with wanting the first round to load. I did some buffing work to hopefully help that and started loading the 1st round more aggresively. I really want to shoot again and see if I still pull right. The last time I shot I had very good scoring. It was the day before my CHL class and I tested the 380 and my G22 that day. I shot better that day with the 380 than my .40. Now I'm way off. If I took 5 head shots at least 4 of them were straight to the right above the shoulder. I'd say at least 4-5in to the right. Prob my technique, but it was not a good day at the range.

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Just curious...  You didn't loose part 115 (ejector) by chance?  It will fall out and hide when you field strip the gun.  When you pull off the slide, it sits in a gap on top of the frame rail on the rear, left side. You might want to check that. If you just have an empty gap in the rail, you wouldn't be the first... or the hundredth. ;)
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

10. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Didn't know what that little sucker was for. It kept falling out the other day. I put it in with a touch of gun grease to help it stay in place a little better. It's there. Wondered why that peice just seemed to do nothing more than fill that hole. It seemed odd. I'm getting ready to tear it down for it's cleaning. I clean after every trip.

11. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Is part #183 snug? If it comes loose parts #181 and #182 also come loose and it won't pull the spent casing out correctly. I used a drop of Blue Locktite when I snugged mine up and never had another problem.

12. jocko

jocko Guest

these are definitely 7 yards and under pocket guns, sites on them are useless, u don't need them either Point and shoot, get used to that and you will be able to hit COM at 7 yards and under. Accuracy will never equal a glock for numerous reasons that u are well aware of. If you are consisitently getting FTE, be it limpwristing or not; of which we also don't know for sure if it is limpwristing or gun issue, never the less if you can't solve that issue, then you do not have a dependable handgun for you, AND IMO you need to get something else. It is easy for us to say "u are limpwristing it" and we don't know either, but what we do know is that these little guns are notorious for this issue. That is why there are so many different variations of handguns out there. different strokes for different folks. Some people can naturally shoot them with zero issues, some have to go through mental steps to do it right and in that case I do feel in a threatening situation, that having to go through mental steps is a NO-NO.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    +1

14. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I'm going to give it some more trips to the range and see what it does. I stripped it all the way down last week for the first time. Don't plan to doing that again. The trigger spring and the little latch in there is a total pain. I was inspecting it for any issues and lightly sanding a few places with 600 grit wet/dry style paper. Did some of the areas talked about in the Fluff & Buff. Guess I'm just spoiled by my G22. I was hoping this little 380 would shoot like it does out of the box. I'm new to handguns and didn't realize some of them have these issues. As long as I can feel confident in it's ability to rapid fire, say 3rds, then I'll be ok with it as a carry gun. I can't honestly imagine needing more firepower than that. I think the 15rds in my G22 is a bit much. Maybe great for a cop, but way more than I see a need for. In the future I want a Taurus .38 in satin stainless. Always liked revolvers, so maybe that will replace the P3AT, hard to say. I don't see selling it though, I still think its a sweet little gun. Kicks like a mule though

15. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    For me, the P3 is more difficult to shoot than my Kahr PM40 or S&W 357. But, after learning to squeeze it right and tune my finger tip movement, my marksmanship has improved on all 3 guns. I feel that learning to shoot this little beast has required me to make improvements to my shooting technique that benefit all my weapons. Never fail to hit COM in monthly training, but still have some trouble with head shots. That'll improve with practice too, I suspect. Also, my eyes combined with the sites are useless, so I use a laser site. I wouldn't be able to hit on paper at 7 yards without it  :)