Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my first post is going to be a problem. I got my P3AT about 3 weeks ago. Brought it home, polished, cleaned, and lubed it. Took it to the range, and had a couple FTE in the first 50 rounds, and then things worked great for the next 75. I was a pretty happy camper. Went to the range again today, and we had another good 50 rounds. Well, I made it about 25 more, and when I set the gun down to reload the magazine, I noticed the small recoil spring hanging out the end. Took it apart, and put the spring back where it was supposed to be. Made it about 30 more rounds, and it was hanging out the end again. I'm a little disappointed, but I knew there could be problems when I bought the pistol. I think, at this time, I will call Kel-Tec tomorrow, and see about exchanging the slide. When I get it back, I might think about the recoil rod washer modification to keep it from happening again. I want this little gun to work. My keys make a bigger buldge than this gun does.

Dave

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Muddflap said:
...I noticed the small recoil spring hanging out the end.  
Definately need a new slide. Call Kel-tec service. :(

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Muddflap said:
I noticed the small recoil spring hanging out the end.
Call 1-800-515-9983 Customer Service. Maybe they have setup expedited slide replacement routine. At onetime you could do the credit card thing but that may have been too much paper work.

Wilson – who’s surprised me hasn’t been able to pick up one of those babies for $100 yet ::)

G

·

Muddflap said:
... I noticed the small recoil spring hanging out the end.  Took it apart, and put the spring back where it was supposed to be. Made it about 30 more rounds, and it was hanging out the end again....Dave

I would not suggest you try shooting it again. No telling what it may do, but I can not see how shooting a gun with the re-coil spring hanging out the slide would be anything but bad.

Send the SLIDE back, and consider sending for the washers before you shoot the new slide.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2503;action=display;num=1175020076
(Did I say wahshers?)

Sorry you are off to a slow start, but glad you are here Dave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:

I would not suggest you try shooting it again.  No telling what it may do, but I can not see how shooting a gun with the re-coil spring hanging out the slide would be anything but bad.

Send the SLIDE back, and consider sending for the washers before you shoot the new slide.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2503;action=display;num=1175020076  
(Did I say wahshers?)

Sorry you are off to a slow start, but glad you are here Dave.
That picture sure does look familiar. As of yesterday, the gun is parked. I called Kel-Tec this morning, and they told me to send the slide in, and they would take care of it. I think I will order the washers, just for peace of mind. It might be a good idea, even if the new slide is thicker in the area supporting the spring. I'm really looking forward to getting this gun working properly, and becoming confident in it. I have been carrying a PM9, but compared to the P3AT, it feels huge.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Muddflap said:
I have been carrying a PM9, but compared to the P3AT, it feels huge.
That's the beauty of the P3. Plus, for less than the price of a PM9 you can buy two P3's and extra mags. Once you get yours running smoothly, you'll need to go out and get a second one, just so your first one doesn't get lonely. Plus the P3 makes an excellent back up for the PM9.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
They probably spent more sending out free recoil spring catches, not to mention that people complained about that part and wondered why the P3 wasn't designed w/o one like the P11. Besides, anyone who has been around here a few years can tell you that KT made probably75,000 2nd gen P3ATs before we ever saw one peen. Certainly peening is not a necessary byproduct of the 2nd gen guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a P3AT about a month ago, went to shoot it for first time this weeked. Put 150 rounds through it.

Two FTEs, both with Remington ammo (one was so hard I couldn't rack the slide and I had to disassemble the gun to remove the empty shell). Both Federal and Winchester were fine.

After those 150 rounds the gun has developed a noticeable peen. Bummer.

Serial#: JBS**.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.