Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my P3AT some time now, I've put more than 1000 rounds through it at a rough guess. Today on my second magazine the inner recoil spring came snaking almost all the way out of the frames recoil rod hole! After some adjustments it worked fine again but then did it again a magazine later. Once more I fixed it and it worked perfectly for another 50+ rounds. I figure it's just fatigue, those springs look real thin.

So my question, I'm obviously gonna order a new set of springs BUT is this error indicative of a more serious issue, has anyone else experienced this?

G

·
check your front of the slide to see if the hole has enlarged.  Kt when they counterbored the recoil spring hole in the back of the front of the slide hole went to deep on alot of them,  Yours might have finally worked its way to eating out that slide hole.  Not sure new springs will solve ur problem...

does anyone know if this slide peening problem is only in the 380 or has there been an 32's with that issue also...

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
besides a new slide, look at the end of the recoil guide.  If the end is tappered and the tapper extends into the slide, I would want a new rod too. ...A rod that has full diameter, fully through the slide.

Here is a way to check the clearance between the rod and the hole

cut a piece of paper in a small triangle, one sides 1 1/2" long and the other 3"

Wrap paper around the rod so that a point is at the end and the paper overlaps toward the middle

now start the rod from the front of the slide and carefully start the tip of paper. I can get mine to slide paper through but it stops just before the paper overlaps.

this indicates I only have 0.005" clearance. the inner spring wire diameter is 0.019"

If you can get 4 wraps of paper (0.020" clearance) or more, the inner spring can go through

I would worry if I got 3 wraps though

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Yep! If that spring is coming out the front of the slide--You need a new slide.

Packer.
YES!!!!!!

This is a slide problem, hole bored too deep!

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1169328150;start=0

First you will see the peening on the outside of the slide around the GR hole. After more rounds you will see the GR hole enlarge. After more rounds the recoil springs will fly out of the GR hole.

Again, BAD SLIDE, spring pocket drilled too deep. I have 2 3at's, close sn#s, one has had no problems, other had a bad slide which has been replaced.

After 50 rds, the new slide is peening, "pooched" out around the GR hole. Gonna have to take it back and get another slide. Comparing good gun to bad gun, it is obvious the metal thickness at the GR hole is much thinner on the bad slide.

The recoil springs are causing the peening on the inside of the spring pocket where the metal is too thin.

I've seen comments about tapered guide rods. I have old and new guide rods and they measure .132" dia the entire length. Tina gave me a new guide rod to try, it is "unfinished" not radiused on the end, it is 2.155" long compared to 2.120" for the old GR. I haven't tried it , but doubt if it makes any difference.

Follow rc's suggestion, call KT, order new slide and return old one for credit. I'm lucky, I live only 4 miles from KT. so I can go over there and pester them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a problem maybe similar to yours. O"n Sunday I was shooting my 1st gen 3AT and the whole gluide rod, spring assembly and the guide rod holder at the end of the slide went down range. Could not find any of the pieces. This is the 2nd time it has happened to me. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, i called KT and they sent me the replacement parts as I asked. But this time it's opn it's way to KT to find out what the heck is going on. This is the first time I've had any hiccups with the 3AT in just about 2000 rounds. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
eme said:
I had a problem maybe similar to yours. O"n Sunday I was shooting my 1st gen 3AT and the whole gluide rod, spring assembly and the guide rod holder at the end of the slide went down range. Could not find any of the pieces. This  is the 2nd time it has happened to me. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, i called KT and they sent me the replacement parts as I asked. But this time it's opn it's way to KT to find out what the heck is going on. This  is the first time I've had any hiccups with the 3AT in just about 2000 rounds. Time will tell.
This is going to continue to happen until all of the bad slides gone. Looks like we have all the luck--bad that is ???

Jim

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
jimwiggs said:
eme, I just reread your post and noticed you said your problem was with a 1st gen p3at.  I haven't heard reports of 1st gens having this prob

Different but similar problem. His whole guide rod assembly including the plate at the front end came out. The plate is replaced with the front of the slide in the 2Gs.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
eme said:
I had a problem maybe similar to yours. O"n Sunday I was shooting my 1st gen 3AT and the whole gluide rod, spring assembly and the guide rod holder at the end of the slide went down range. Could not find any of the pieces. This  is the 2nd time it has happened to me. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, i called KT and they sent me the replacement parts as I asked. But this time it's opn it's way to KT to find out what the heck is going on. This  is the first time I've had any hiccups with the 3AT in just about 2000 rounds. Time will tell.
  It doesn't happen very often, but there is a distinct possibility that what you get back will be a SG with your old serial number stamped on it.

Surely in that event, the slide you get back will NOT be one of the new bust-out-the-front ones--That would be just too ironic!

Packer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Weird recoil spring issue and Hard Chrome

Do you suppose a Hard Chrome job when almost new but broken in would help alleviate wear problems in the slide guide rod hole, especially those drilled to deep?

My APW after market hard chromed slide shows absolutely no sign of wear in the hole. My guide rod shows some 'polishing'. I would much rather occasionally replace a worn rod and springs than the slide. ;D

G

·
RAT76 said:
I think I'd rather have a good slide and then plate it.
yup, I didn't hc plate any of my slides until I had at least a 1000 rounds through it. I never knew about the peening back then as it wasn't happening but I was concenred about spending the money for a hc job and then having problems with a defective slide and kt would have replaced me back with a blued slide. Just be sure your slide is good to go, from peening, and also functioning on your frame etc, then hc away and port away if that floats ur boat..

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Re: Weird recoil spring issue and Hard Chrome

FWM said:
Do you suppose a Hard Chrome job when almost new but broken in would help alleviate wear problems in the slide guide rod hole, especially those drilled to deep?
No!
If the hole is too big, or counterbored to deep, the slide is junque.

Hard Chrome won't fix Junque!
It will just make it nice looking Junque.

Silk Purse & Sows Ear type thing, ya'know!

rcmodel

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
JerryO said:
It sounds like the inside spring is to long. ...
JFB said:
...Another measurement I just made

I measured the spring space available when the slide goes all the way back till it hits the frame
lenght in the slide's hole 0.250"
length of the frame's spring groove 0.470"
less the thichness of guide rod head 0.040"
space = 0.680"

my inner spring wire is 0.020"
there are 32 turns
solid lenght = 0.640"

my outer spring wire is 0.028" (maybe 0.029)
there are 26 turns
solid lenght is 0.728 :eek:

Thus the outer spring goes solid under recoil ...
If the wire diameter and/or the number of coils increased for the inner OR decreased for the outer, the inner would then go solid first.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.