Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many have experienced a crack above the assembly pin on the rt side? I may change to a p11 if they are not prone to crack there. any input would br appreciated, stan

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
While it has apparently happened a couple times (as evidenced by previous posts), it is pretty rare. There is no inherent weakness in the the PF-9 frame, and I suspect that in those cases where cracks did occur around the assembly pin, it was more likely due to the pin being a bit loose, or backing out a bit during heavy recoil.

Jim R

·
Registered
527 Posts
The PF-9 is not "prone to crack there". With many tens-(hundreds?)-of-thousands of them out there, I've seen one picture of a crack and that's the only one I've ever heard about.

It's not a common failure point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loose?

While it has apparently happened a couple times (as evidenced by previous posts), it is pretty rare. There is no inherent weakness in the the PF-9 frame, and I suspect that in those cases where cracks did occur around the assembly pin, it was more likely due to the pin being a bit loose, or backing out a bit during heavy recoil.

Jim R
do you think there is a diameter issue or are you leaning toward a latteral movement issue, I gueess I can check that diameter when I receive the gun back from the mother ship. sounds like a rare deal though, thank you Stan

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm guessing there may have been other parts out of tolerance to stress the frame in that direction. That may be what has taken them longer to fix.

Hopefully you never have to send it back again (like most of us).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes mine is older ser# r1cxx, hopefully its replacement will be better, however I don't have over 500 rnds down the pipe yet, and they are all std pressure no plus p, thanks Stan

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I've only read about it a couple times in the last few years and as PF9Newbie mentioned, it was in conjunction with the pin backing out during firing and the far end of the pin being torqued in the hole of the frame (so I guess that would possibly be a lateral movement issue?).

The amount of force transferred to the frame from the slide slamming into the Take-down pin would be about the same as removing the slide and smacking the pin itself with a hammer. When that kind of force is transferred, Something has to give.

I don't believe there's any diameter issue. If you sent the entire pistol in for service, they'll give it a good once-over. If they see any signs of problems there, they'll either take care of it automatically, or notify you.

Of course... If it's not already in the mail, on its way back to you... You could call and ask to talk with the tech who's working on your pistol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts