Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shall I wax eloquently, or poetically? Or not at all?
I have kept a blue S&W 36-8 pristine for a number of years. Its probably my favorite J frame. Its like a mini model 10 Police with a 3" bull barrel and fixed sights and case hardened hammer and trigger. Pretty little thing and an ounce lighter than my M60 3". Ive carried 2" Js for years but lately I've found I can IWB appendix a 3" well as long as the serrated ramp doesn't rub too much. The M60 is slightly irritating at times with its high blade. I will eventually be giving the Js a rest when I can ever find a Taurus Defender 3".
Which brings me back to the M36. Ive decided to put it into CC duty to take advantage of the smaller ramp and rest the M60. I just want to try to protect the beautifu dark blue finish from rubbing.
Im considering what I can use to prevent surface wear? So far, I am considering using some kind of wax because no oil will stay in place. I often will go appendix holster-less with Desantis Clip-Grips. I know, I know! This is what works for me so you holster experts just zip it. I carry low, deep and close with zero print and can be out and on point very fast. Grip clips give me a lot of versatility for different situations.
But back to the topic, protection for my finish. Any other ideas?
20201004_153018.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Nothing will prevent finish wear, long-term. If you don't want the finish rubbed off, don't carry it.

That said, as strange as it sounds, leather seems to wear finishes quicker than kydex. Apparently leather picks up and holds fine particular matter far easier than kydex. Think of it like an old leather strop for the razor. Leather will also attract and hold moisture. Even outside of the potential for rust that moisture can also catch and hold particulate matter.

If you're thinking of wax, the best I've found so far for this purpose is Johnson's paste floor wax.

It's a pretty gun. If you want to keep it pretty, don't carry it or pay to have it reblued periodically.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shall I wax eloquently, or poetically? Or not at all?
I have kept a blue S&W 36-8 pristine for a number of years. Its probably my favorite J frame. Its like a mini model 10 Police with a 3" bull barrel and fixed sights and case hardened hammer and trigger. Pretty little thing and an ounce lighter than my M60 3". Ive carried 2" Js for years but lately I've found I can IWB appendix a 3" well as long as the serrated ramp doesn't rub too much. The M60 is slightly irritating at times with its high blade. I will eventually be giving the Js a rest when I can ever find a Taurus Defender 3".
Which brings me back to the M36. Ive decided to put it into CC duty to take advantage of the smaller ramp and rest the M60. I just want to try to protect the beautifu dark blue finish from rubbing.
Im considering what I can use to prevent surface wear? So far, I am considering using some kind of wax because no oil will stay in place. I often will go appendix holster-less with Desantis Clip-Grips. I know, I know! This is what works for me so you holster experts just zip it. I carry low, deep and close with zero print and can be out and on point very fast. Grip clips give me a lot of versatility for different situations.
But back to the topic, protection for my finish. Any other ideas?
View attachment 51894
I sympathize with you, brother. I have kept my bought-new S&W Chiefs Special pristine since the day i bought it many decades ago. It still looks factory new. I would hate to mar that deep lustrous blue by carrying it daily. Fortunatly, I had alternatives to carrying that one. If I felt that an EDC revolver was called for, I still have my old EDC revolver - a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. I carried it with 200 Silvertip hp's. I still have some of that ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I wonder if you could use something like the scratch-guard clear plastic stickys that are put on device screens etc to protect them at the high-wear areas?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although I would like to protect it, fact is, unless its going to be a safe queen investment piece, might as well use it and get it dirty. I could try some waxes as a maintenance measure, but there are other nicks and scrapes its bound to get in the course of EDC.
Perhaps I will slick it and bob the hammer.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well Rat, will this piece ever be very valuable?
The way I see it, a FA has a purpose, not sitting in a safe.
Its a 25 year old gun only worth $500, Im reaching my mid-50s.
It will only be worth slightly more when Im 70.
I wont care by then.
I may not even have guns by then.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
It's not the carrying its the slicking & bobbing I object to.

If it were mine & I wanted to carry it I would. Maybe not on those crawl~around~under~~the~car days, that's what KelTecs & Tauri are for.

I've got a fairly rare gun or two. I've got others that are out of production & collectible/desirable. I figure I have custody of them now & a responsibility, to myself, to pass them on in good working condition. I feel the same way about a couple of my Harleys.

Finish? Holster wear? Nicks & scrapes? Meh, that's just patina & history, you know...character.

In other words "shoot it like you stole it". Just, please, don't mutilate the poor thing.

Just my 75 cents worth.

JMNSHO & YMMV of course.

PS, If it were 32 mag I'd be making a pest of myself trying to talk you out of it. ;):likey:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I wont alter it.
I have a can of FW1 wax, Ill start with that.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I know that many of the waxes are modified to make it easier to apply and polish off. Straight old Carnuba wax is the hardest of natural waxes and therefore gives a lot of life and protection. It has a little bit of self healing capacity to small abrasions. There are some synthetic waxes that offer longer life, but they are typically formulated to bond to paint (they are engineered for automotive finishes) and I don't know if they would give the same, worse or better protection than Carnuba. Carnuba is relatively cheap. If you use wax, it probably would make sense to routinely reapply it to keep the surface up.

My two cents.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Although I would like to protect it, fact is, unless its going to be a safe queen investment piece, might as well use it and get it dirty. I could try some waxes as a maintenance measure, but there are other nicks and scrapes its bound to get in the course of EDC.
Perhaps I will slick it and bob the hammer.
I don't believe in safe queen guns either. I do have a select few that I keep in virtually new unfired condition for my son to have one day. For every one of these select few, I already have an everyday firearm that fills the same purpose. If I did not, I would use the one I have, pristine or not. I also have ammo for every single firearm I own, in case I ever need to press a particular firearm into service. With the exception of .32 acp and 9mm, I also have reloading dies for every firearm I own. With the new scarcity of .32 acp and 9mm lately, Ive been thinking about aquiring dies for these 2 calibers as well.

edit - BTW, getting a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press is a good idea to supplement a full bench mounted reloading press. The Lee Hand Press is cheap, portable, and uses the very same dies as your bench press. Ive done quite a few quick loading sessions with my Lee in the den when the garage was too cold or hot to load on my bench mounted RCBS Rock Chucker. The Lee will also fit in a small bag with bullets, powder, primers, and a few dies. I think most people can read between the lines here......

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know that many of the waxes are modified to make it easier to apply and polish off. Straight old Carnuba wax is the hardest of natural waxes and therefore gives a lot of life and protection. It has a little bit of self healing capacity to small abrasions. There are some synthetic waxes that offer longer life, but they are typically formulated to bond to paint (they are engineered for automotive finishes) and I don't know if they would give the same, worse or better protection than Carnuba. Carnuba is relatively cheap. If you use wax, it probably would make sense to routinely reapply it to keep the surface up.

My two cents.
Carnuba wax is very good stuff! It is my all time favorite for any wax application. A month ago, I tried the new Turtle Wax Ceramic Hybrid on my two vehicles. I rubbed on 2 coats on each vehicle - 2 coats are supposed to last for 12 months, yeah, we'll see about that. Trouble is the damned Mullen Fire has been blazing to the west of Cheyenne for so long, spreading a fine layer of ash on everything and smoking up the air ( with no rain to wash the ash and smoke away ) that I can't tell I waxed the vehicles at all. Smoke got so thick one day, the streetlights came on in my neighborhood. That fire is about 80 miles away!! And it is still burning because I can see the smoke in the air looking out the window as I type this. Normally, the Cheyenne sky is the bluest and clearest you can find anywhere. Sick of these fires!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Rat, will this piece ever be very valuable?
The way I see it, a FA has a purpose, not sitting in a safe.
Its a 25 year old gun only worth $500, Im reaching my mid-50s.
It will only be worth slightly more when Im 70.
I wont care by then.
I may not even have guns by then.
You will/should have guns by 70 and you will/should care about guns, I do and 70 is in the rear view. Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't believe in safe queen guns either. I do have a select few that I keep in virtually new unfired condition for my son to have one day. For every one of these select few, I already have an everyday firearm that fills the same purpose. If I did not, I would use the one I have, pristine or not. I also have ammo for every single firearm I own, in case I ever need to press a particular firearm into service. With the exception of .32 acp and 9mm, I also have reloading dies for every firearm I own. With the new scarcity of .32 acp and 9mm lately, Ive been thinking about aquiring dies for these 2 calibers as well.

edit - BTW, getting a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press is a good idea to supplement a full bench mounted reloading press. The Lee Hand Press is cheap, portable, and uses the very same dies as your bench press. Ive done quite a few quick loading sessions with my Lee in the den when the garage was too cold or hot to load on my bench mounted RCBS Rock Chucker. The Lee will also fit in a small bag with bullets, powder, primers, and a few dies. I think most people can read between the lines here......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tex, I have been stopping and looking in every gun store and mom and pop hardware store in a 150 radius for 9mm dies. They are not to be found. I’ve ordered them from Dillon, but it is a 5 to 6 month backorder. That being said, I did see a set of .32 acp dies last night at a Bass Pro Shop in Cary, NC. I was not interested, but with the scarcity of most handgun reloading equipment, I thought you might want to get them while you can.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Tex, I have been stopping and looking in every gun store and mom and pop hardware store in a 150 radius for 9mm dies. They are not to be found. I’ve ordered them from Dillon, but it is a 5 to 6 month backorder. That being said, I did see a set of .32 acp dies last night at a Bass Pro Shop in Cary, NC. I was not interested, but with the scarcity of most handgun reloading equipment, I thought you might want to get them while you can.
Doesn't matter. You can't find primers anyway.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have air rifles for backup. In case you haven't noticed, there is some impressive power coming out of air rifles lately. I have three Benjamin PCPs: .22 Discovery, .25 Armada & .357 Bulldog modified by Pitbull (the first carbine mod). What I don't have is a SCBA tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts