Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Washers?

1K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Nu_Agin_Shooter 
#1 ·
Do the nylon washers really work? Why not steel washers? Thoughts.... :-/

#2 ·
Why not steel 1911 recoil buffers too?
They should last forever!

Actually, I should let JFB answer this, as he invented it.
But I think it had something to do with "easily shaped to fit", and "offer some impact absorbing qualities" as well.

And by all accounts, they work very very well!

rcmodel

#4 ·
It all started when KT changed from a flat spring pocket milled in the slide to a tapered one cut with what appears to be a drill bit.

That leaves a thin almost knife edge on the hole.
The washer provides spring support to keep the edge from rolling outward.

I don't think the poly rod would help all that much as the stacked springs are doing most of the beating.

Hopefully JFB will be along soon and provide much more valid info.
He has it down to a science.

rcmodel

#5 ·
I think that the nonsteel washer also provides a nonwearing/lubricated surface for the steel guide rod to run thru. Any wear occurs in the washer not the rod. May even be some cushioning effect.

#8 ·
rcmodel said:
...as he invented it...
More like an extensive search through all my parts catoluges looking for a CHEAP drop in.

The choice for the one I made available to KTOG members was a lot more than the "first one that fits", However, I'm not going to go thru all the things I considered.

When some one has to ASK how to install one or how it works, I recomend you don't install them, and I would not provide them

Now N_A_S was gractious enough to take on the responsibilty to distrubute them to the group. But he requires a signed waiver that you are knowledable enough to understand the risk and consiquences

If you don't SEE the benifit of a nylon washer, DON'T put one in your gun

BTW, my P32 has the drilled slide so it has one fitted too.

#9 ·
kb61751 said:
.. if a stronger 1/4" od spring, instead of the two on there now would work better. ....
The KT springs are some of the most well engineered I have seen.  The springs have been something I work on quite often.  It seems the space available requires a rather exotic spring.  the material KT uses allows a very high working stress.

#11 ·
no offense at all. i know i sounded rather coarse.

encouraging experimentation and sharing that knowlede is the big draw to KTOG.

having just written that, and recalling my above response, i need to apoligise.

G
#13 ·
Can you tell me who has the washers for sale? Went to the range Tuesday and after about 150 rounds the 380 shows definate signs of peening. I can see a little of the spring thru the hole. On a happy note, only had one failure to eject.

#14 ·
Click HERE to go to a post in the "Trading Section"

N_A_S is the distributor of the nylon washers and has a disclaimer before he sends them out.

If you want you might need to search for the past post that gives more detail in how they came about .

However if you have Any questions, please ask

#17 ·
The recoil guide hole for the 1G is a metal insert into the slide. thus there is no 1/4 hole that could be drilled too deep.
if this insert (square washer) was to peen, it could easily be changed. A nylon washer could still be used as a buffer though

#19 ·
Motor56 said:
Thanks for the info.  I've had a 1st gen for about 2 years and it got lost in the safe and I just found it and now I'm wanting to do stuff to it.
How about..................................................................................................................shoot it ;D

Welcome to KTOG

If you have any problems, there is a lot of knowledge here on getting a 1G correct (not me though ;))

G
#20 ·
Motor56 said:
... it got lost in the safe ...
Gun lost in the safe?....

Seems to me that is gun abuse and you should there fore put it up for adoption....

adamsesq can work up the papers for us!

Oh wait..... I too have neglected to play with a few of my guns for extended periods of time and am always pleased with the fun of "finding" them again.

As JFB said.... go shoot the thing ;D

#21 ·
Did someone say Adoption????? My ears were burning.

I can relate to lost guns in the safe. My P40's (and/or conversion kit) collection has grown a bit but I had to really search yesterday to find a P11 in the safe when 2pp wanted some measurements yesterday. I thought I had one, really I did, but somehow it got burried in its box in the back of the safe and never made it out to the pistol rack.

-Scott

#22 ·
Just bought a new 3AT at the gun show with black grip and hard chrome slide. Slid a finger extension on the clip and put on a Pachmayr Slip-On # 4 rubber grip. [Put small strips of doubled sided carpet tape on the front and back edges of the guns grip, trimmed a little off at an angle on the top front of the Pachmayr grip, sprayed a little window cleaner on the tape, turned it upside down and slid the grip on and let it dry over night. Fits great and tight] I disassembled the 3AT and did a little cleaning and lub - gun grease on the rails and breakfree on everything else - buffed the ramp and checked it over for any burrs. All in all it looked pretty smooth. While I was at it I looked at the depth of the drilling in the slide and thought it may be a little thin. Looked about the thickness of a dime or possibly a little thicker.

Do you think I need to get washers as preventative medicine? Haven't made it to the range yet. Hope to this week.

G
#23 ·
Wolf74 said:
...While I was at it I looked at the depth of the drilling in the slide and thought it may be a little thin. Looked about the thickness of a dime or possibly a little thicker.  

Do you think I need to get washers as preventative medicine? Haven't made it to the range yet. Hope to this week.
First.... Welcome to KTOH Wolf...
Glad to hear you did a bit of the fluff and buff.

I sell the washers here, and don't usually try to persuade any one to buy them. I sell them as educational products.

Many here will come along and tell you what they have seen with them, or you can use the search functions to read a bit more.

You can also click the link below to read a bit more about them.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175020076

If you decide you want the washers, just PM me with your e-mail address and a statement that you want the washers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.