Warranty Turn Around

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by keninaz, Mar 18, 2008.

1. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I sent my P3AT in for a 15% or more failure to remove the brass from the barrel and a defective screw from the factory that could not be removed to work on the gun.
    When I sent it in I was told about 3 weeks to have it shipped back from the time the got it.
    Then I heard here that it was 4 weeks, then 6.
    So I just called them. They say it does not matter what is wrong with it I have to wait my turn for repairs and it will be some 6-8 weeks and maybe more.
    Lifetime warranty means nothing here when you don't have what you paid for. >:(

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sure it does.  With some makers, you wait 6 to 8 weeks and even longer for the privilege of paying for repairs.  Usually, KT over-estimates turn-around time.  Hopefully, it won't take that long.  You might be interested in this post:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204572651/19#19

3. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I sent mine in 2 weeks ago, I'm assuming 6 more even though I was quoted 4-6 to start with.

Good news is that I hear they keep their value pretty well as trade-in's. Lotsa competition coming soon!

4. idahoglock36

idahoglock36 New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I have a P3AT and a PF-9 into them right know.....I'll be at 8 weeks the end of this week...still nothing.

I will report when they come back....Looks like the factory is jammed up with warranty repairs.

5. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I guess the good news is that they work well when they come back.
    Hopefully this will be the only repair at the factory.

6. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    When I sent in my P3AT I was told 5 weeks. On week 6 I called and was told 1-2 more weeks. Now week 8 and still no gun in my hand. They have never sent me an email, or bothered to reply to them. Whole lot of good that gun is doing me. I have since replaced it with a S&W 637 for daily carry, and plan to get the new Ruger and prob sell the KT. The KT's fate will be determined when it finally arrives and has been tested. I have 300rds waiting for it. Have new mag extensions, grip pads etc. I will try what I can to make it work, but that will be the end if it still fails.

Don't expect to hear from them. They never let you know they received your gun and don't answer emails. You have to call them if you want answers. And they close at 4pm Eastern, so I always forget to call til it's too late.

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Looks like they've made a few changes:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204572651;start=all

8. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I waited a week after the day mine was scheduled to arrive at KT and then called them. I asked if it was there and they asked for the ship date. All she told me was plan for 5 weeks, not yes it's here or no it's not. On week 6 I called and was told, plan for another week or 2. Now it's been more than that. I've sent messages through thier website and never hear back. I've yet to be impressed.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You're not impressed? ::)

Is this really necessary?  
    It's hardly going to get your gun back sooner.

P.S.

Kel-tec Owner's Group
    www.ktog.org

Kel-tec Complaint Dept
    ktcustserv2@kel-tec-cnc.com
    Toll free 1-800-515-9983

There IS a difference.  :-/

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Look I don't want to be negative, but it seem obvious that KT has slowed down their legendary service.
    It is now in line with most other manufacturers, which is to be expected. They sell a lot of guns.
    You send a gun back to Ruger or Taurus, expect 8 weeks.
    Not a great thing sure, but it was bound to happen.
    Quit whining about your wait time folks, your gun broke, it happens and they will repair it for free.
    Now I can see griping about multiple trips back, that is a legit complaint but I just don't understand this attitude that a major gun factory is going to have your gun back in a month. It's unrealistic.

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I totally understand being disappointed.  In truth, over the long haul, Kel-tec's turn-around time has been exceptional and  probably averages 4 weeks.  In the past, it has often been less than that and seldom more.  I only ever sent one gun back to them.  That was a few yars ago and it was returned in 19 days, IIRC.  Occasionally, they do get backed up and if you get caught up in that, it seems even longer.  It may be because of parts availability as they make different guns in batches, I don't know.  But it is true that many manufactures routinely have 8 week turn-around times and even longer.  While not the norm, I have heard of 6 and 8 months... no kidding.  And here's a shocker...  they don't all have life-time warranties.  Kahr, for instance, which cost 2 - 3 times what a KT pistol sells for, has a 3 year warranty.  Lots of folks send firearms back to the factory and pay for the privilege of waiting a couple of months.  :-/

12. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

http://www.kahr.com/DL/kahrmanual.pdf

According to this document, KAHR is warranted for five years (scroll to very bottom, read page 22-24 and the "back cover").
    The warranty on my P9 is "lifetime" according to the owners manual I received.
    KAHR has had a similar policy to many gun manufacturers, that is "don't ask, don't tell" regarding original ownership vs purchased used.
    No one but KAHR could say how long that policy might remain in effect. So far, they've been very generous in that regard.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't mean to pick on Kahr and just cited them as one of many examples.  They used to have a lifetime warranty like KT.  That was changed in the past year or so (I could have sworn 3 years).  There was a lot of complaining on gun boards, etc.  Maybe they recently increased it to 5 years because of the bad press - maybe it was 5 years and when I did the research that follows, I typed it in the wrong column.  At any rate, I just checked their site and they now list 5 years.

On the subject of firearms warranties, here is a comparison I did a while back:

Probably not any of these.  Some may do better than their written warranty implies but several have a service charge associated with warranty work or require you to pay for shipping both ways, or require that  you send it in for evaluation BEFORE you find out if the problem is covered by the warranty.  Of course most of these manufactures have a disclaimer similar to this one from Beretta:
    Although they have a similar disclaimer, we know that Kel-tec doesn't play this game.  They fix the gun and return it, free for life.

1 year warranty
    Ithica
    Beretta
    Walther
    Glock
    S&W
    Uberti
    Stoeger
    Kimber

2 year warranty
    Remington

3 year warranty
    CZ
    Kahr

5 year warranty
    Marlin
    Benelli

Others?
    Charter Arms = contact them and ask?
    Ruger = no written warranty but a good reputation for service.
    Browning = no stated warranty?  According to serveral reports, they are not very good...  You bought it - it's yours.

Again, a few of these, unlike Kel-tec, require shipping the gun in to find out if it is covered or have an associated charge for warranty work.  

Lifetime Warranty
    Kel-tec
    Hi Point
    Taurus
    Bersa
    Colt
    Charles Daly
    H&K
    Sig Sauer
    S&W

There are a few makers with a warranty as good as Kel-tec, but IMO, none are any better.  Most have a lesser warranty, have some associated charge, are strict about what is covered, and many have slower turn-around times.  Try calling some other makers and ask them to send you a free set of recoil springs, or any other part, for that matter.  
    This is what you're likely to get.  ;D [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=huh.gif][/quote]

14. Buck

Buck New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Personally I think it sucks. If you say what you will do then you should do what you say, or dont promise it. Customer Service has become a lost art in this country and I think it is one of our greatest downfalls, automated answering, directories, etc. It seems like companies are like dealing with the government, they just want you to go away.

If I tell somebody I will do something I will do it, period.

Hey I like my Keltec, but if the company lets me down, I'm gone! Sell it and forget it.

Maybe Keltec should hire me to do this stuff. It would be done.

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Generally speaking, I operate the same way.  However, I bet that sometimes circumstances develop that are beyond even your control.   ;)

16. Buck

Buck New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    There are always "exceptions" to the rule, but I dont see that in customer service in America these days including Keltec. Its just one of my pet peeves. I was one of the ones that couldnt wait for the new pf9 to come out. I waited , and waited, and waited. New customers should come from old customers. I think the Ruger LCP is a perfect example, no one would switch unless there is a reason to.

I'm not so brand loyal that I will stay with anything if quality, customer service, or a fair price isnt a factor. I will pay extra for quality and customer service, and I consider myself to be very loyal even to a fault, however every man has his breakin point.

17. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Well TX I guess you don't like hearing truth about what it's like to have a KT that has issues.

Everyone tells you that it's your fault for limp wristing it. That it's your fault your a man with normal size hands and not little sissy hands that tend to shoot them better. I shot the gun for months with problems on all buy one trip. I've talked to many people online and at the various ranges around me about what to do. I did the fluff and buff only to have KT service tell me it would not fix my problems. Most people like to preach that the 2nd Gen are the best, well mine was just purchased last Oct. I had people tell me to shoot 200rds in it to break it in, and some tell me that would pretty much be the life of the gun before rebuild. I shot several hundred rds before sending mine in. I am on other gun boards as well, and get the same stuff there also. The KT loyal always point the finger at the shooter. I've bought everything suggested to help me shoot this gun since it seems I must have issues, don't know why I can shoot my others so well.

I really like the gun for it's size and intended purpose. I shot really well with it, even though it was a major pain in the hand. But if making them this small is part of the problem with them, I'll shop for a little larger gun. I've been at shops with P3AT's in stock and thought long and hard about trying another new one and ending up with 2 when the other arrives. Just can't bring myself to do it. I found a hard chrome one day for the same $ I payed for my blued and had to think long on that one.

Not too sorry if you don't like my side of the story and my opinions. It's the internet, we can speak freely.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Just to clarify, KTOG is not "the internet" nor is it the government. NONE of us have any free-speech right in this private place.

But that said, you could have had a weapon with problems. Limpwristing could very well be an issue as how you shoot all those other guns has nothing to do with this one. In fact in my experience people who have never shot a gun before have fewer limpwristing problems with the P3AT (and P40 for that matter) than do "experts." Hopefully yours will come back perfect for you. If not let some others shoot it and see if they have the same "problems."

-Scott

PS - anyone who told you it would be worn out after a few hundred rounds doesn't know their a$$ from the hole in the barrel.

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Not at all.  A large part of what we do here is to help each other out.  It is, of course, entirely possible that your gun had an issue that required service.  No one is knocking you for that.  I just don't see why you have to constantly post about your admittedly long turnaround time and punctuate your repetitive posts with comments like:

We get the point.  We got it the first few times.  If this is the worse thing that has ever happened to you I can only assume that you are young and have led a charmed if not sheltered life.  Stuff happens.  I know you are disappointed, frustrated and long out of patience.  Hopefully, your gun will be back very soon and work perfectly well. Meanwhile, you need some stress relief. I suggest you go put some rounds through that nice revolver. It always works for me. ;)

20. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    You may have a lemon. I don't want to be a smart alec, but seriously when it comes back fromKT, I will buy it for $125. You can start fresh with a new company and use the money as a down payment on another gun. Think about it. I will work on it and try to get it going.