Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a used P3-AT for sale online but local. No pics yet. Seller represents he's fired 20 no-problem rounds through the gun but wants to sell. Doesn't like it for whatever reason. I have some experience with this seller and trust him to be accurate in his representations.

1.) I've asked for the manufactured date so I can figure out whether it's a FG or SG. (After reading the sticky here, I now realize that I can tell this just by looking at the gun.) But, is there a date and/or serial number on which the SGs began and for which everything thereafter is an SG? I'm going to have to inspect the gun before purchase as I've learned from this site what to look for for later models, but I am still hoping that everything after a certain date or serial number might have the factory flycut, etc.????? I don't see any prior posts here that answer this specific question, although some have appeared to try.

2.) Will KT honor warranty to a person who purchases the gun FTF? Or does warranty only apply to first purchaser from KT authorized dealer?

3.) Asked for price is $220. No idea yet if gun is blued or parkerized, OD green or black, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
1) I don't know of a firm cutoff date for the switch between 1g and 2g

2) The official answer is that the warranty is for original owner only. KT has never asked me if I was the original owner when I had to send a gun in for repair. The certainly don't ask when you call service for parts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go ahead and order a new extractor, because at around HP****, they changed. I had the old style, and had all sors of FTE problems, when I got the newer one, 100%.

BTW- My local dealer has plenty of NIB P3's for $239.00. I personally, would pay the extra $20 for a brand new gun w/ all upgrades. Or pay less. ;)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
$229 NIB (blued) here.  As for serial #s, they made both versions at the same time for a short while continuing the serial sequence.  The very newest ones (last few months) seem to be the best of the lot.  While prices do vary regionally, I'd never pay that for a used one that someone "didn't like".  If it is hard chrome, it might be worth that much, but not blued, IMO.  FWIW, you would not have warranty issues.  Don't ask - don't tell.   8)

P.S.  With the serial #, you can call Kel-tec for the manufacture date.  If it's recent, and prices are considerably higher in your area, or availability is not good, and you trust the seller, then OK.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Would you'all clarify the KT serial numbering system...I thought I understood it till now.

My 380 is HZE** purchased in late Sept for 225 and manufactured in May 06. It is clearly a 2 gen and has shot 100% to 300 rounds.

I assumed my number is earlier than the justfish380 noted number HP****  but maybe not.  How does the sequence go.

Is mine likely to have 'all' the latest improvements?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone.

Seller isn't sure of manufacture date. He bought gun NIB a month ago from a local big box retailer. He says he's done his own fluff and buff on the slide and ramp.

Price is now 195. Best price in town I've see is 259 plus tax. Internet prices are better obviously, but then I have to add shipping and an FFL transfer fee. I believe the difference between 195 and 280 (with tax) is worth any risk in buying this. I don't like buying something had their fingers in, but again, based on my experiences with this guy on various forums, I think I can trust him.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I'd probably buy it for $195. I question his only having put 20 rounds through it. Who does that? Call me cautious but that sounds like a good excuse for him to pull if you find a problem with the gun. "Well, I only shot 20 rounds and it never did that to me."

None the less, even if it has an issue (probably not, especialy if it is that recent), Kel-tec would fix it. If it is that new, the serial # should start with a J or at least H. Compared to your local market, that is a good price. If there are no other costs involved (local purchae, etc), I'd go for it. Any chance he'd meet you at a local range and let you shoot a mag or two before handing over the cash? That would cinche the deal for me. 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To close the loop on this thread, the gun turned out to be a fairly new version with an HZEXXX serial number. Has the factory flycut /curve in the feed ramp. We agreed on $195. I should have it in my possession today.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Can't go wrong. Even if the gun has problems it's a short stay at the factory and it's back to being right. My P3 just got back. Bought it new but now I am thinking it was shot, developed a problem and resold at the gun show as new.

My point is with a Kel-Tec it don't matter if there is a problem with it. That just brings the price down and it gets fixed for free.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
onebohemian said:
To close the loop on this thread, the gun turned out to be a fairly new version with an HZEXXX serial number.  Has the factory flycut /curve in the feed ramp.  We agreed on $195.  I should have it in my possession today.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
No closed loop just yet. Clean... lube.. shoot... report. 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another follow-up. I got the gun earlier today. The guy actually had two with him for sale, one that he F&B'd (his) and one not (his wife's). Serial numbers were only two apart: HZEXXs. I took the wife's as it hadn't been F&B'd yet and I want to do that myself. The guy had added the accessory side belt clip for IWB to it and left this extra part on the gun. It also came with the rest of the standard stuff, including pouch, lock, carton, and two manuals.

There's always a hitch though, isn't there? The gun is missing the infamous ejector, part no. 115. Maybe I'm being naive, but I suspect he lost it during a field strip and probably never even noticed.

I dropped an email to Kel-Tec to order a couple and I'm hoping they don't cost too much. KT's online store for parts isn't running so I sent an email to customer service. Will follow-up with a phone call Monday when they open after the holiday. Anybody know what the ejectors are running these days? Are there other sources for these parts? Anything else I should just order right away to have on hand?

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase. I've learned that buying used lends itself to these types of little hiccups. Price and rest of gun with IWB clip was too good to pass up even though I now have to order an ejector.

Thanks again, everyone. Your answers to my questions in this chain, as well as the rest of KTOG, are great. (TxCajun, you're going to have to wait a little longer for a post from me with the gun's range report.)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I have a parts - price list in TX but am in LA now. They cost a buck or three. KT is the only source. Order two. FWIW, the gun will usually work pretty well w/o the ejector. The upcoming round will ususally kick out the empty... maybe not on the last round in the mag. You might shoot it before you get the part if you want to. I once lost one at the range as I was changing to my 32NAA conversion. I didn't notice until I got home and cleaned it. :-/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I might try firing it this weekend without the ejector. I'd read somewhere else in this forum that someone shot their gun without having noticed the ejector missing and it didn't hurt anything. Wasn't sure whether the guy saying he did that could be relied upon for advice though. I'm not usually one to use a tool without all the parts neatly in their proper places. The lawyer in me always has me thinking I should follow the directions so there's somebody for the family to sue if all hell breaks loose.

Anyway, I appreciate your input, TxCajun. You seem to be all over this forum and nothing I've read seems to indicate you've steered anyone wrong. It would be great to get to the range this weekend. I'd convinced myself before you posted that I wasn't going to let my eagerness get the best of me and make matters worse by firing the gun without the ejector. I'd decided that waiting the 10 or more days for KT to get me the parts wouldn't kill me. Am rethinking that now though.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Kel-tec will get you the parts in very few days. Call Friday if they are open, or Monday morning (they are Eastern Time) and you should have them in your hand by mid-week. If you go to the range this weekend, bring other guns, if possible (just in case).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are closed friday after thanksgiving. I will call first thing monday to followup on the email I sent last night. Any suggestions for additional parts I should order just to have on hand (and as long as I'm paying shipping anyway)? Thanks.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
If you call service and NOT parts, they may not charge you.

Recoil springs are dirt cheap. They should last 1000 rounds, but what the heck. The mag catch may eventually wear if you slam the mags in without depressing the button, and there is a spring for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.