Warm weather carry options?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DoubleTap, Sep 29, 2007.

1. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    No doubt this is an old topic, but I’ll bring it up anyway, mostly out of curiosity and in the hopes that I might pick up a couple of good ideas along the way. The question is simply this: how do you carry? As a new CCW licensee, I’ve struggled with this issue, particular during these past summer months. My original carry ‘method’ was to simply throw the thing in my pocket. Well beyond the fact that you could never predict which way the gun would be pointing when you reached in your pocket, it had the more glaring problem of actually looking like you had a gun in your pocket. :eek: Since those early experiments, I’ve moved on to the DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster. So far so good. It does a good job of breaking up the gun’s outline, and I always know how the gun will be oriented when I reach in my pocket. I’d tried a small of the back - inside the waistband holster briefly, but I always felt like it was printing. Now that light jacket weather is almost upon us (at least here in Ohio), my carry options should open up considerably. Anyone else come up with any good warm weather carry options?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    DT - welcome. There are as many answers to your question as there are KTOG members. Pocket carry is common and nice as you are finding. Another that I fall back on alot and can do it with only underwear on (without is a little scratchy) and that is the www.smartcarry.com. I wear it with everything from nothing around the house to running shorts and a t-shirt all the way up to a suit with a P3AT or a P40.

-Scott

3. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Welcome DT,

Pocket carry is great as well as IWB and OWB for larger guns.
    When I started carrying it felt as if I was printing and everyone knew it.
    The next time you are out pay attention to how much attention you pay to others waist line :eek:
    IMO it's newbie fear, you'll get over it.

Good job on the Nemisis, because without it as far as vehicle carry you would have been breaking the Ohio law.
    As a Ohioan you may want to book mark this if you don't already have a hard copy.
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/cc_booklet20070314.pdf

From page 17

The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is
    permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you
    and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants.
    These obligations do not apply if you are not transporting a loaded,
    concealed handgun inside the vehicle.
    You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the
    influence of drugs or alcohol. You may not transport a loaded, concealed
    handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways:
    The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law
    previously required carrying firearms in holsters in plain sight. The
    “plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

Again welcome to KTOG

4. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Thank you both! Rubb, you’re probably right about it being a newbie fear. In fact, I’d say the more self-conscious you are about being made, the more likely it is that you will be made! Even in the brief amount of time I’ve been carrying, I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable about it. At least no one’s pointed at me and started yelling, “Gun! GUN!” at the top of their lungs! ::)

Scott, that SmartCarry holster looks very intriguing! Price doesn’t look bad either, considering what a good holster goes for these days.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Rubb is so right about being self-conscious. I think the reality is that most of us could carry OWB with no cover and not catch attention from about 85% (statistic pulled from nowhere) of the people out there. If you keep your mouth shut and don't tell people you might be carrying, no one will notice.

As to smartcarry - it is one more great option to have.

-Scott

6. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    IMO IF someone notices, chances are they too are CCW

7. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    DoubleTapp,

I use a IWB nylon (manufacturers name with held - there all about the same except price) for my P32 and P3AT.  I too have had the feeling that it might be noticed, but not to date.  I might help that I have a bit of a paunch to help in that area.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Glen - unless you have some particular embarassment about it there is no reason to withhold brand names around here. It is a common courtesy that you disclose it if you have some particular interest in something you are discussing but short of that please DO give complete details as it helps KTOG readers a whole lot more than without them. In fact we strongly encourage prices, places to purchase, etc. etc.

-Scott

9. Dan-O

Dan-O Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    Belt clip.  Although I find it a bit uncomfortable wearing it this way with a shirt untucked.  

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]
    If you decide to do this please do so only after thoroughly thinking it through and realizing that some very educated, very experienced people believe it to be entirely unsafe.  Some other just as educated, just as experienced people do not believe it to be unsafe.  There are literally hundreds of posts on this topic over the last year - look 'em up.

-Scott

11. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    TMI........................................... :eek:
    My eyes! My eyes! ;D

Welcome DoubleTap. FYI there was an informal poll recently that indicated pocket carry was the preferred method of carry.

wyo-man

12. old_ironsights

old_ironsights New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Fully loaded weapon & holster = 12.1 oz. (A bit of deerskin and closed-cell foam.)

Carry in your hip pocket and it 'prints' as a wallet, if at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Silly question perhaps, but what would potentially make a belt clip so much more unsafe than any other method? The fact that the trigger isn't covered by a holster? Just curious.

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    PM sent. Let's not revive this argument in yet another thread. If we want to do so its time to revive one of those threads.

-Scott

15. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Double Tap: I wear Wrangler Cargo pants.  I bought 6 pairs for daily wear, changing my wardrobe to fit my CCW. Like you living here in Ohio, I've looked for the best warm weather option. I like the Cargo's either in long leg or shorts. When I'm walking the P3AT in the Nemisis is in the front pocket, it's easy to get to and no one is alarmed if I have a casually have a hand in my pocket, yet I have my hand on the pistol. The cargo's have deep pockets to completely hold and cover the gun. When I'm driving, I transfer the P3 to the side cargo pocket and open the cargo pocket flap. Again the cargo conceals the gun completely, but it also acts like a holster on the side of my leg. The gun stays in one place and comes out fast from the side leg pocket if I need it quickly (bad guy comes up to my window, etc). If you wear jeans often, several companies make cargo pants in blue denim. I'm soon to acquire a pair of those. The wife calls my pants my 'Gun Pants'. I call my clothes 'Tactical Wear'. I doubt if I'll wear the P3 in my waistband as it's small enough for pockets and it's working out perfect with cargo's so far for all year. Just anothr option to add to your CCW thoughts.
    Ohio Rusty

16. canoeswamo

canoeswamo New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    North Augusta, SC
    I use the clip to "appendix" carry. Carry it clipped to my pants under my belt. My shirt is usually tucked in – no one notices. Well, no one except my LE friends. I also wear cargo pants, and carry the pistol in a homemade, leather holster in my cargo pocket.

17. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    +1 , 'cept around the house I still have something on with it , too many neighbors around here  :D