Waranty

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by spike87, Sep 14, 2008.

1. spike87

spike87 New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    If you buy the keltec from someone, you therefore not being the original owner, will keltec still honor the lifetime waranty?

2. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    That generally depends on what type of work is required.  The written warranty is for the original owner, but they have been known to overlook that for minor work.  They also don't generally ask if you are the original owner, and unless it's been back for repair before they don't know who originally bought it.  I believe it's against federal law for them to maintain a database of owners.  But they can keep a record of repairs by serial number.  And no I won't cite an example.  Your best bet would be to ask them directly.

:)

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It's a Florida state law...nothing other than a hand written record I believe. They can put nothing in a datebase or computer.

Rick

4. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Called Kel Tec today and described the symptoms of a hammer block problem I am having. The said; "sounds like you need to send it in. Just box it up and follow the directions on the manual" He had asked if I had the manual, and I said yes. (I had actually downloaded one.) I thanked him, and told him I would send it in. Then I read the manual, and it requires you to send in the original bill of sale. I read another thread yesterday where an owner was made to fax them a copy of his bos before they would do warranty repairs. I will call them tomorrow to clarify this issue, and let you know. I like my p3at enough to consider a pf-9, but will not buy another Kel Tec product if they don't stand behind the one I have. I'll let you know what they say.

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Leaving completely aside the issue of whether you can/should fix whatever issues you have yourself with our help here...

What do you mean "stand behind" the one you have?  If you do not have your BOS you are not entitled to warranty work.  There is nothing for them to "stand behind?"  

That said, DO NOT CALL THEM, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ELSE.  Package it up with a letter of what is wrong, your email address for a return notice when it is coming home, send it in and let sleeping dogs lie.  Short of someone doing weird modifications to the weapons it has not been KTs practice to ask for anything else.  Don't ask, don't tell works very well here.

Yes, they could change that at any time, but don't push it and they won't.  

-Scott  (who's advice above goes completely out the window if someone develops an 'tude with KT and ruins it for all of us)

6. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Big +1 Scott.

tommyray, for what it's worth I've NEVER send a reciept or Bill of Sale with any KT I've sent in for work.  The only time I was ever charged for ANYTHING was on a SUB9 that I told them, in the letter I sent with the gun, that I was NOT the original owner & was more than willing to pay for the repairs and any improvement that they could make to the trigger.

This was on a ten year old SUB9.  Guess what, they called me a week later & told me it would be $8 for parts & $15 for shipping.  They replaced a bunch of parts in the safety & last shot hold open assembly.  They also reworked the trigger.  I never shot it but I hear form the new owner that the trigger is so sweet it's to die for.

Like Scott said, don't call them just send it in.   As you are not the original owner they have zero warranty responsibility to you.  Let sleeping dogs lie & you should be just fine.  IF they do ask for the BOS just tell them you lost it [highlight](but that would be wrong)[/highlight]. DO NOT say that up front tho.  IF you have to pay for  repair it will NOT cost much.

If you want to replace the block yourself, there are folks here that can & will walk you thu it step by step probably with pictures.  Just call KT SERVICE and request a new hammer block as yours seems to be broke.  They will have it in the mail to you for free that day.  You can also buy a new grip assembly with the block installed for $25 or so.  Maybe even do an exchange with your old grip.

I'd suggest posting your problem in the appropriate section of KTOG.  Ask nice & you will get more help than you can use.

[highlight]edit[/highlight]

7. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Have you asked in the P3AT forum about your problem with the hammer block? Might be we could help you fix it at home.

:-?

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'd not suggest that as it is a lie. Tell them you don't have one instead. Unless of course you got one when you bought it and then lost it, then it'd be the truth. The point is that they have been fair to all of us, don't abuse it/them and it should continue that way and even if it doesn't they are still fair with pricing.

-Scott

9. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I'd not suggest that as it is a lie. [highlight] Tell them you don't have one instead[/highlight].  Unless of course you got one when you bought it and then lost it, then it'd be the truth.  The point is that they have been fair to all of us, don't abuse it/them and it should continue that way and even if it doesn't they are still fair with pricing.

-Scott

[/quote]

Excellent point Scott. I stand corrected. :-[ In actual fact both my P11 & P3AT were bought new from dealers at the gunshow. In neither case did I get a reciept. I was so excited It didn't even cross my mind I should get one.

10. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers....And I certainly won't cop an attitude with them. I was just stating a fact. I bought this because numerous owners have stated that Kel Tec will stand behind their guns, even if used. I have sent 2 other brands in to their manufacturer that needed work to them. (One stated original owner only) and both did the work without asking for bos. In fact, the one that said original owner only, sent me a free magazine for my inconvenience. I love this gun when it works, and I depend on it for self defense. I will as suggested, send it in and see what happens. Today, I found out that the owner of our local range who is a glock snob, carries a P3AT as his CW. That speaks volumes for the gun. ( I showed him mine with armalaser, and he is gonna contact Rick for a laser) I will see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

11. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Should I remove the Armalaser when I send it in? I ask because the original pin was replaced with the metal pin and screw that came with the laser?