WANTED = ABOUT 100 small pistol primers.

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by regrip, May 21, 2009.

1. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    If anyone can spare about 75-100 small pistol primers, I will buy so I can test run my new Lee Turret Press. Thanks. Tom :)

2. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    You might want to tell folks where you are located, primers are difficult to ship, they are classified as HazMat and cannot be shipped like ammo. I think they have to go UPS and there is a $25.00 minimum fee for HazMat, plus I think you have to be certified by them as far as packaging and stuff. All this plus the shipping pretty much make primers a FTF deal.

On the other hand, if I remember correctly, you can ship primed cases as ammunition so it might pay to try to get some primed brass...... ?

Dan R

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You're right, Dan. hazmat fees apply to shipping primers. If you have a Cabela's nearby you can order from them but have them delivered to the store with no shipping fees or hazmat fees.

4. lcdrdanr

lcdrdanr Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Just a thought and don't know if it helps any at all but I just found out that Small Rifle primers can be substituted for Small Pistol in most cases. You shouldn't use them for hot rodding with maximum loads nor should they be used for critical use, SD, that sort of thing but for range use or plinking they will work.

Major issue is that the Rifle primer has a slightly thicker case so is more susceptible to light strikes.

Now, having said the above, there is an issue about trying to use Large Rifle in place of Large Pistol because the physical dimension of the Large Rifle primer is different than the Large Pistol. It sits up a little higher and if you use a Rifle primer in a pistol case you run the risk of the primer being set off inadvertently. Similarly, if you use a Pistol Primer in a RIfle case, it will seat lower and the firing pin may not set it off. So, don't switch Large Rifle and Large Pistol.

But, in general, Small Pistol Magnum and Small Pistol can be swapped back and forth and so can Small Pistol and Small Rifle if your end use justifies it.

I mention all this since you may be able to find some of the other primers locally even though they are out of the Small Pistol.

Dan R

5. I had forgotten about that option Dan.  You are right.

What are you wanting to load regrip?  I have 100 small primers to spare, and plenty of 9mm, 40 and 38 cases.

I could send you 100 tumbled, resized, and primed cases.

6. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I want to reload the .380 auto. I have the starfire jhp, powder and cases, thanks. I am located in Kokomo, In., where gun crimes are increasing weekly. If anyone emails me I will give address. Thanks a lot guys. Tom