Wallet carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kev74, Jun 14, 2010.

1. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I like the idea of carrying my P3AT in a wallet holster in my back pocket since there won't be the temptation to put anything else in there. But I'm concerned about sitting on the gun over and over over a long period and causing damage to the grip parts.

Is this a legitimate concern? Is there any chance of breaking or warping the plastic? or am I worrying about nothing?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I just like to say, I use a bifold wallet holster (K&D) for front pocket carry and find it acceptable. I like the fact I can remove this "wallet" from pocket with others around and no one can tell there is a pistol.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A lot of folks back pocket carry.  I have never once heard of a related problem.  The polymer grip is tough stuff.  In a proper holster, you should have no problem.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I am pretty sure we have in fact reported a slip on the ice an fall on your but test incident (more than once  :-[) and nothing got broke or shot  ;)
    I been carring in the K&D 2'n1 for bout 3 years now...

[​IMG]
    stock photo but just like mine

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Ice?  What's that? Oh yea, the stuff in my margarita.  :)  

I remember a specific case and neither the gun nor the individual was hurt...  except maybe a little pride.  But falling on the ice will hurt your pride with or without the gun.  Now your butt?   That's a different story.  Ouch!  :D

6. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I've got a little extra padding, so I guess I should be good to go.

7. xp100

xp100 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Be sure that your wallet holster is not against federal law. The ATF has some negative things to say about certain types of wallet holsters.

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    rev. 1
    [​IMG]
    rev. 2
    [​IMG]

I've been using rev. 2 for a couple of years now. Works great, cost nuthin. Back pocket all the time.
    all the time.
    [​IMG]
    Note how the new version is smaller than the gun. With the holster it doesn't sit any taller in the pocket, nor wider, the "bottom" of the holster is higher than the bottom of the mag. The wood insert (cedar) is light weight and prints like a wallet. The open bottom keeps from collecting cra.. ah, stuff.
    [​IMG]

9. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I like it lop. I may have to steal your idea!

10. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Those are pretty specific rules and include both not having to remove gun from holster to fire and conceals gun in such a way as it appeares not to be a gun.

Not at all to do with what anybody here posted  

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    You can't steal what is freely given. ;)

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I back pocket carry my P3AT every day.  I love it.  Best way to carry one of these guns.

I made this one with bike inner tube.

[​IMG]

Here it is next to my wallet.  I added a leather anti-print panel. This is how I carry daily.

[​IMG]

Here is the back side view.  Also, the leather portion is attached with velcro should I ever decide to remove it on any given day.

[​IMG]

Sitting or standing, I can draw.  Try sittng drawing with a gun in your your front pocket.  It just doesn't work.

13. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    This is what I came up with.  I cut the leather last night and sewed it up this morning.  I think I might have to trim it down to make drawing easier, but I'm going to play with it for a while before I cut.  When I'm satisfied, I'll probably dye it black.  I'm also thinking cutting a belt loop in the center of the sewn area for belt carry, but again, I'm going to think about it before I cut anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Nicely made. Wow, a leather craftsman. :)

When I made mine, I started simple, then cut, trimmed, added more, took away some until it is now the way I like it.

15. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Kev, that looks good. You spent more time and/or attention to looks than I did. One thing I had to do to mine was cut a little hole right above the mag release button. The preasure on the sides was releasing the mag. The hole gave it just enough releaf. Looks like you dropped the side down more than mine. Just a heads up on a potential problem area. What did you use for the spacer?

Lop

16. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words.

The cut out by the grip just barely touches the mag release, but doesn't seem to be causing any unwanted mag drops. Its one of the things I'm keeping an eye on though. I'd like to not have to cut that edge along the grip again. It came out nice the first time, and I think I'd be pushing my luck. I've been sitting on it for half a day yesterday and this morning and have not had any trouble yet.

I used three pieces of leather stacked up for the spacer. I think the leather is 8oz - about 1/16" thick, so the spacer is about 3/16". I could have probably used one more layer in there, but its ok like it is. In retrospect, I should have made it with the rough side of the leather facing out to help it stick in the pocket better, but I got caught up in trying to make it look nice.

17. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Heh, pretty soon you won't care what it looks like and you'll add glued on inner tube to make it stick to your pocket better. :p

Where did you buy your leather?

18. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Heh, pretty soon you won't care what it looks like and you'll add glued on inner tube to make it stick to your pocket better.  :p

Where did you buy your leather?[/quote]

I've been eying up some tacky rubber scraps I have laying around.

I got the leather from ebay a while back. It was the only place I could find a small piece. I've had intentions of trying to make a holster for a while now and just finally got motivated. If I start making more, I'll likely buy a larger piece from Tandy Leather. They've got a good reputation from what I've heard and the prices seem reasonable.

19. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Heh, pretty soon you won't care what it looks like and you'll add glued on inner tube to make it stick to your pocket better.  :p

I've been eying up some tacky rubber scraps I have laying around.[/quote]
    I knew it...I knew it! :D

Our Tandy Leather closed about a year ago. I guess not enough guys like us making holsters.

20. Sam88a

Sam88a New Member

Jun 10, 2010

I've been eying up some tacky rubber scraps I have laying around.[/quote]
    I knew it...I knew it!  :D

Our Tandy Leather closed about a year ago.  I guess not enough guys like us making holsters.
    [/quote]

www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/home.aspx

They seem to have reasonable prices, based on my limited experience.