Walk-in service at the factory?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkammer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I'm only about 30 minutes from the Kel-Tec factory in Cocoa Florida. Will they accept guns for warranty service from walk-in customers? And, will they give same day service, by chance? A friend's new P3AT is having FTE problems that we haven't been able to fix using the normal solutions.

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    From what I read on here, yes, most while you wait...

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    It's another benefit to living in sunny Florida. :cool:

4. Pthree80

Pthree80 New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Yeah...but the sign out front of the building says: "Walk ins welcome. However, no dissatisfied customers with loaded firearms welcome." ;D

5. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Yeah...but the sign out front of the building says: "Walk ins welcome.  However, no dissatisfied customers with loaded firearms welcome."   ;D[/quote]

Great sign!   ;D

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    never saw the sign, but took mine there a couple of times. While you wait service. They even test fire for functionality. It's a M-F, 9-5 type operation though.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I think the service department is open from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. and closed from 12:00 P.M. to 1:00 P.M. for lunch. If you bring your gun in please do so before 2:00 P.M. to give them time to do the work and get closed up for the day.

Sign in the uni-sex restroom reads:

Gentlemen, please stand closer. It's not as long as you think.
    Ladies, please remain seated for the entire performance.

8. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    You bet, I have used it twice and the Kel Tec folks provide wonderful customer service! They are open Mon-Fri 8AM - 4PM and have a short lunch break. If you come after 2- 3pm you may have to leave it over night. I you live close to the factory don't mess around, just drop by and let the pros who work on Kel Tecs everyday, work on yours. They understand what makes them tick and are very enthusiastic about making customer's guns work perfectly.

The P3TA 380 pistol is one of their best guns and they CAN make it work. From my personal experience and others at my local range, the P3AT works first time, every time. From what I have seen they are absolutely determined to make these little pistols function properly. I have seen them replace a slide and barrel unit and then polish the new unit for maximum function. It's well worth the drive to have a professional who is thoroughly familiar with your pistol work on it.

Good idea to bring your receipt because warranty is for the original retail purchaser. Having said that, they never bothered to look at my receipt and were only interested in getting their hands on a Kel Tec that wouldn't work so they could fix it. On my last visit, I brought a box of FMJ ammo with the pistol and gave it to the gunsmith to test fire 50 times. He fired my box and then added some hollow points just to make sure that the fix really was accomplished. That was a PF-9 that was dropping the magazine during firing and it is now permanently fixed.

I have been so impressed interacting with Cal Tec folks and with what I have learned about the products that I have purchased three more Kel Tec guns including a P3AT. That little pistol has been flawless for 350 rounds and gobbles up various hollow point with great relish.

While you are at the factory you can stop at the retail store and pick up a magazine or other things listed on their web site.

9. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Just want to update my post. I did visit the Kel Tec factory last Thursday and carried in my friends P3AT and my P3AT. His was having FTE when brand new and mine had started FTE after about 400 rounds.

The folks at the factory were super. They took both guns in, I went to lunch with a friend and then about 3 hours later they called me and I went back to pick them up. They had replaced the extractor on both guns, updated the triggers, replaced the mag catch on one gun and polished the feed ramp on both. They also test fired both guns with two mags full each.

I also visited the store and bought some accessories including the new 9 round magazine and a finger extension. I hope I don't experience any cracks in that piece as some have reported.

I'm very happy with their willingness to make the guns right and their enthusiastic service.

10. onadraw

onadraw New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    If I brought my P3AT in for a new assembly pin, would they give me any problems because I have a metal mag release installed?

11. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    No! Then again, why would they even need to see your P3-AT?

12. onadraw

onadraw New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    I thought I'd have them take a look to ensure no damage from the pin walking out.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If there in person, they shouldn't bother your mag catch. While you are there, point it out to them and ask why they don't make some. :)

14. jercdevil

jercdevil New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Been there a couple of times for repair. Last time was in Jan 2011. I was in and out in 1 hr :)