Video of my P3AT problems, diagnosis please? :P

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bryank, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I have uploaded a 20 second video of the problems I am having.  Me and 3 other people who have shot this gun found that if we pull the trigger slowly, the hammer block pops back into place before the hammer can reach the firing pin.  If we pull it quickly, it works fine.

First 2 pulls shown are slow, second 2 are fast.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_dxE3dbv0[/ame]

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Video of my P3AT problems, diagnosis please? :

Maybe a new hammer block spring? :-?

Try to send the video to KT and maybe they can give you some advice.

BTW I couldn't tell from the video but you were using a snap cap right? ;)

CJ

3. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010

nope no snap cap, just dry firing :x

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.

Never dry fire a Kel-Tec pistol...

John

5. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010

thanks for the idea of sending the video to KT, just did that, ill let you all know what they say

out of curiosity what can be damaged from dry firing a p3AT?

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

The extractor screw will usually be damaged first. The end of the screw can be damaged. Just make sure you use the right sized allen wrench if you remove it as it can strip easily (2mm I think?) and put some blue lock tite on it when your put it back.

CJ

7. Badman400

Badman400 Active Member

The firing pin retaining screw will be damaged on the end by repeated dry firing. Best to use snap caps when dry firing Kel-Tecs. :cool:

8. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010

beat ya to it :) did that last night and was surprised to see the threads in flawless condition considering ive dry fired it ~100 times :x KT send me a cheesy auto response to send it back. The store i bought it from told me I had a year warranty on it so I think I will try them first.

9. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.

Phone calls are best when dealing with Kel-Tec...

John

10. bryank

bryank New Member

Apr 2, 2010

thanks for the tip, ill give them a ring tomorrow. appreciate it!

11. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin

Dry firing a Kel Tec can damage the tip (not the threads) of the extractor spring/firing pin retention screw, as well as damage, or even break the firing pin. A number of posters have experienced this problem as a result of dry firing, particularly noting light strikes as a result, etc or even loss of the firing pin. Glad to hear that your dry fire has not resulted in such damage, but snap caps are a cheap way to avoid this possibility in the future. Still, your problem seems related to a faulty hammer block or hammer block spring and these should probably be replaced.

Jim R

12. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  13. P-Denny

P-Denny Member

Nov 15, 2005

My P3AT is at the factory with what appears to be the same problem as you. What I've experienced is pretty strange though. The gun was working fine but my slide was peening, and since I wanted to get it refinished with Cera-Hide, I sent it in for a new one. As soon as I put the new slide on though, the hammer started hanging up most of the time. I saw that the holes in the grip for the hammer block axis had enlarged slightly though, and figured it was twisting and causing the hammer block to catch the hammer when it shouldn't. That the problem cropping up after installing a new slide was just a coincidence. I used epoxy to hold it tightly in position, and that almost solved the problem, with the hammer only hanging up occasionally. Kel-Tec wouldn't send me a new grip without receiving my old one first, so I enjoyed the gun for a while, then sent the grip in. Upon installing the new one though, I was astonished to find the problem was back as bad as ever, hanging up about 95% of the time. At that, I decided solving the problem was beyond my ability so I sent it in. I'm hoping they replace the frame because my ejector is also pretty loose, even after being replaced with a new one.

Denny