Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with this for a while and was looking for the consensus. I know we're here because we all like our P-32s, but how many people are comfortable carrying it as a man-stopper EDC versus a BUG?

I'm a retiring LEO anticipating the day my carry pistol (Glock 26) goes in the safe for home defense in favor of smaller/lighter pistols for EDC.

My two first choices are my P-32 loaded with Fiocchi Extrema and my Seecamp .32 loaded with Corbon Pow'rball. (Neither will feed the Underwood Extreme Cavitator...I've actually toyed with buying a Gen II P-32 strictly for the purpose of being able to carry the EC round, which seems to be a beast.)

But I'm worried if I'm volunteering to go under-gunned, especially with what I've seen some of the newer .380 rounds do.

Any opinion?

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Here's mine, take it for what it's worth.

I started out carrying over 35 years ago. My first carry pistol was a Colt Detective special in .38 special.

I then went to a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special.

Then I downsized to a Kel Tec P-11. My first semi auto carry pistol.

Then a Kel Tec PF-9. And sometimes a P3AT. Sometimes both.

Then just the P3AT full time.

Then I went back to the PF-9 and sometimes a Colt Defender Plus in .45.

Now I carry a Glock 19 and now and then the Colt Defender...with the P3AT tucked away as a back-up.

Plus, I always have spare mags and a spare pistol or two in the saddlebag of my bike.

So I've moved in a curve...downsized and then upsized PLUS...and if you wonder why? Read the newspapers.

Reactions: Gray_Fox

·
Registered
493 Posts
In the context of threats & vulnerabilities...what do you want to be prepared to respond to?

Of the 32's, a reliable Gen 1 P32 is arguably the best defensive option. That slide profile is hard to beat. That said, for me, the 32 (any 32) is a situational deep concealment last resort, not a retired copper EDC first option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's all relative IMO or at least it plays to my choice-what you're wearing, where you going. I have 3 choices-Glock 22, Walther P99c and my P32 e.g., if I'm running church security or going to Chi-Raq it's my Walther w a full size mag or Glock. If I'm running my son to the bus stop or jogging or going to a buddies house it's my p32. I believe in options. I have friends that carry .45's and I can out shoot them (mag dump) at 3 yards all the time w my P32. I don't see anyone getting up from 8 to the chest.

·
Registered
129 Posts
haugrdr,

That last line of your post it the clincher....

My P32 is carried most often these days as a BUG and often, even as a bug, with an extra magazine.

I have watched a few cams of actual robberies and gunfights. To say they were scary in an understatement. Many people just freezing in place, or doing nothing but providing the shooter(s) with an inviting and convenient target!

I always try for my Glock 30 backed up with my P32 or SW 642, and still feel anemic and under gunned.

Gray_Fox

·
Registered
160 Posts
The P32 is a 'social work' weapon, no more. 7 to 10 feet, IMHO. But, seeing that I haven't paid off my Glock 43 yet, it's with me every day. I'm going to get an ankle holster to carry it as a BUG to the Glock. Currently, it rides in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how many people are comfortable carrying it as a man-stopper EDC versus a BUG?
It's not a "man-stopper", but it has its place -- especially if you can hit your target more than one, two, or five times.

Since a 32 ACP is not going expand reliably, or impart hydrostatic shock, I figure an FMJ round is going to cause the same damage as stabbing the attacker with an 8 inch phillips screwdriver.

A screwdriver to the thigh is not going to stop a determined thug, but I'd much prefer to run from one who has a hole in his leg, than run from one who is in perfect condition.

Likewise, having to tangle with a thug who has three screwdrivers in his chest is a better proposition than having to engage one who is intact.

Knowing its limitations, I feel very comfortable using my P-32 as my EDC. I carry it on my belt, not in my pocket. I use a Pachmayr glove to fatten up the grip and use the 10 round magazine to extend it. With easy access to a good purchase, I can hit with my P-32, and that is more important to me than raw horsepower (YMMV).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I EDCed my P32 for several years. It fit well concealed no matter what I wore, so I did carry all the time. I thought of it as a disengagement weapon and did not feel undergunned unless going against a long arm.
Bumped up to the P3AT shortly after they came out. Wife got the P32 and was quite happy with it. P3AT is only a tiny bit bigger than the P32. Both were normally carried using the factory belt clip.
A while back, bumped up to the PF9, belt holster carried, wife got the P3AT. I still occasionally carry the P32, either pocket or ankle carry, wardrobe dependent, when the PF9 would likely show. When traveling, I ankle carry the P32 and belt carry the PF9.
Not only does the P32 almost disappear in deep pockets, it carries well in large flapped shirt pockets as well.
The P32 fulfills the first rule of gun fighting very well. Always have a gun!
KelTec even used to sell a neck lanyard for the P32 to carry it like a neck knife!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The following is not advice to anyone in particular, just sharing my experience and perspective. Make your own decisions.

I've carried for 25 years now. As with Rick, it is fluid over time as your life changes and new stuff becomes available.

Carrying concealed is less about the weapon and more about dress and activity.

The P32 is as close to a "go everywhere" gun as you will find. I am of the FMJ school for .32 (and even .380). The round ranges from "good enough" to "better than nothing" depending on situation. In particular, it depends on what you expect the target to be wearing. Heavy winter coat, you want penetration more, for instance.

I go down to the P32 for things like dress slacks, in the pocket, and some summer shorts.

For essentially the same size, I move up to .380 - in my case a BG380, but may as well be a P3AT or LCP. Same pocket carry, but with things like jeans/cargo pants/dockers where the fabric isn't so thin and you can afford a little more weight and not cause your pocket to sag, suggesting something heavy in it. Just measured by time, this is at least 75% of my carry.

Next step up is IWB, which was a Shield 9 - but may as well be PF-9, SR9, etc. although I recently decided to move to the Shield .45, for the same size, because .45. For me, this is something I do more in cold weather, where I can wear a light sweater or thermal henley type shirt under a light/medium jacket and be comfortable indoors or out, and still be covered if I am inside somewhere that keeping a jacket on would be uncomfortable and/or out of place.

I have a new option in between; in the right pants, I can actually pocket carry a Glock 43, where I really couldn't the Shield. This will probably displace a fair amount of my IWB carry as well as a fair amount of pocket carry. I'm less than a month in, though, and still exploring.

OWB is something I only do in the field for hunting/scouting, and it's a 4" revolver. Taurus .357 (7 shots) or Taurus .44 mag (5 shots) depending.

I also have a special use case where I'm hunting with a rifle, or fishing, and want some kind of backup as well as something I can drop in my pocket if I go into a store. That used to be a Smith .38 snubby but recently because an LCR in .357, both 5 shot hammerless.

So there you have it. It's very situational. The P-32 is the only one that could go all these places, even though it would of course be marginal at best in the field.

My view is that if you can conceal a double-stack Glock 26 in both pocket and IWB, go with that. If you can only IWB/shoulder carry it and want to add a pocket option, P-32 or .380. Toss-up, really. With those 2, you'd have it all covered other than as a field sidearm. This presumes you only EDC a single pistol.

I honestly don't see many (any ?) situations where I'd need more than 20' and running away doesn't become an option. In any case, for me a concealed handgun is a "get off me" gun to create an opening to escape or take a better follow-up shot.

I can draw and shoot the P32 and mag dump them all in the scoring rings at the 7 yard line just point-shooting, and can aim them all in the black; it doesn't need to be any better than that, as I see it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts, many (most?) of which mirror mine.

A quick clarification regarding my "manstopper" terminology. I meant the term to mean "stop what he's doing" versus "instantly drop him to the ground." I'm aware of the ballistic limitations of ANY handgun round.

So, I guess my long-term plan will be have an array of pistols so I can carry the most gun appropriate for my clothing on any given day.

I'm still thinking I'd really like a P-32 that will handle the Underwood round. I may have to poke around Gunbroker for a Gen II, and keep my trusty Gen I in the home defense arsenal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry my P32 on me all the time in a wallet holster."From morning till night"
I practice enough with the P32 I'm pretty proficient, I'm going to hit what I'm aiming at. You hit someone enough times you will get their attention.
And depending on what I'm doing I will carry a Glock 26 IWB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with those who consider the P-32 a "disengagement" weapon, and I like that terminology. I think everyone has to decide for themselves what their personal risk is. If you're a high profile person in law enforcement or the judicial system, consider yourself a potential target to many, and are regularly out in public where you may come into contact with those who wish you harm, a P-32 is probably not the optimal EDC. If you're not a high profile person and perhaps if you live in a more rural area that's not typically subject to gunfire, a P-32 may be a very reasonable EDC.

I carry as much to exercise my 2nd Amendment than I do for personal protection, if I'm honest. We live in a rural part of Virginia and the crime pages of the newspaper are, frankly, pretty sparse. I simply don't feel the personal threat. I used to live in a more urban area in a different state, where violence played a much more prominent part of the local news, and I would carry my S&W Shield 9 more often than I'd carry my P-32. We moved to Virginia this summer, though, and I don't think I've carried my Shield in months -- the P-32 is all I feel I need.

It always goes back to what you feel is right for your situation. If you're even questioning if a P-32 is enough for you, then maybe it's not. I feel that it's enough for me, where I live. If I didn't, then I wouldn't carry it. It's in my pocket right now. We're about to head off to church. If a mob of guys with AKs run in and start shooting the place up, I'll be outgunned with my P-32. I'd be outgunned with my Shield 9. I'd be outgunned with a Glock 17 with a 33-round happy stick.

Everything in life is a balance of risk and reward. EDCing is no different in my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
greetings...

legal carry since 1981... mostly rossi 38spl aiwb charter 44spl aiwb beretta hipower aiwb beretta 21a chambered in 22lr in pocket... since 1987 mostly colt 1911 chambered in 45 auto aiwb with 21a in pocket... since 2016 colt big daddy 1911 chambered in 45 auto aiwb and keltec little boy p32 in pocket...

generally the only times i do not have the big daddy aiwb or side of bed holstered is when im at work or going to no reciprocity state...

at these times the p32 is my PDA... "Personal Disengagement Device" and i do think about it when the 1911 is not present... when retreat and run away is not viable... gonna have to use my PDA as i have practiced and trained and hope for the best...

j o

·
Registered
493 Posts
From my perspective whatever any of us EDC's is really irrelevant to the OP's issue.

I have not heard anyone (including me) involved in encounters with VCA's ever say the following...

"I wish my EDC:

- Was slower to draw...
- Had crappy (or no) sights...
- Had a crappy/gritty long-pull unpredictable trigger...
- Was less reliable...
- Was less accurate...
- Had less capacity...
- Had a smaller caliber...
- Had less power...
- Used a projectile with a limited wound track potential..."

If one understands the limitations of the single stack micro 32 (any single stack micro 32), then great....and may peace (& piece) be with you.

For some, threat profiles today have become very different than they once were, & for those people a micro single stack 32 may just not be enough as a primary. I suspect those people know who they are.

·
Registered
107 Posts
greetings...

legal carry since 1981... mostly rossi 38spl aiwb charter 44spl aiwb beretta hipower aiwb beretta 21a chambered in 22lr in pocket... since 1987 mostly colt 1911 chambered in 45 auto aiwb with 21a in pocket... since 2016 colt big daddy 1911 chambered in 45 auto aiwb and keltec little boy p32 in pocket...

generally the only times i do not have the big daddy aiwb or side of bed holstered is when im at work or going to no reciprocity state...

at these times the p32 is my PDA... "Personal Disengagement Device" and i do think about it when the 1911 is not present... when retreat and run away is not viable... gonna have to use my PDA as i have practiced and trained and hope for the best...

j o
I bet you're not visiting Illinois much. ;) Stop over in Iowa whenever you like.

Brad
Dubuque

·
Registered
24 Posts
greetings newbe64...

doopuke... i see... we ride over there a few times a year... well actually to breitbachs for breaded tenderloins... they are the worlds best...

http://www.breitbachscountrydining.com

our work territory has been expanded to include illinoguns... meaning too much chitcago... and the big giant brain seems to think minneraperlis is in cheezconsin these days too... both being packing nogos for us...

j o

·
Registered
208 Posts
I carry my P32 when I need something for deep concealment and although it may not have the stopping power of a big caliber firearm, it's better than trying to use a set of knuckles especially at my age, (72).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As it stands now, I EDC my Gen2 P32. When I finish paying off the Glock 43 that I'm buying, that will be my primary EDC. I'll still carry the P32 as a BUG to the Glock. I'll be adding a Glock 42 to the mix relatively soon.
Having and carried both the 42 and 43, I don't really see where the 42 fits anymore, except if you can't handle the 43's recoil. If you can, and you can pocket carry them (they are, really, really close in size) you should tote the 43.

The P-32 will still go places the 42/43 cannot.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.