Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you wearing over IWB or outside waistband carry for 380 in summer for concealment. & where did you get them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I used to carry IWB, I would just leave my shirt untucked. The only problem with this is...

Your gun will show...
. if the wind blows
. if you bend over
. if you sit in a chair

You will be forever tugging on your shirt. This is a dead give-away to the world that you are carrying.

You can also go with a tuckable holster, ie crossbreed, kholster and the like. But it can be a little slow untucking your shirt prior to deploying your weapon.

This is why I changed to back pocket carry. With practice, you will be able to access your gun with ease. Mine just looks like a second wallet because I use an anti-print panel.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I wear a lot of denim shirts with the sleeves cut off, untucked. Hides an IWB pistol real nice. I don't use a holster, just a belt clip.

Oh, and it's pretty much summer here year round. :p

·
Registered
660 Posts
I carry in the summer with just a t-shirt or a button-down un-tucked. With the right holster, the gun does not show. I carry a Commander sized 1911 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck at the 4:30. I have a 34" waist and semi-broad shoulders for reference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
New member here.. I purchased a 3AT as my first gun. mostly for concealed carry.

While I'm waiting on my CCW permit (indiana) I have been doing some reading.

Wondering why it's a big deal for most of you for the gun to not show.. (not being a smart alec, truly wondering).. because when I go into a gun shop or the shooting range, seems like all the employees are packing OWB w/ extra clips etc.

Obviously, the concealed portion of concealed carry is just that, but I wonder why it's so important for it to not show whatsoever?

·
Registered
65 Posts
New member here.. I purchased a 3AT as my first gun. mostly for concealed carry.

While I'm waiting on my CCW permit (indiana) I have been doing some reading.

Wondering why it's a big deal for most of you for the gun to not show.. (not being a smart alec, truly wondering).. because when I go into a gun shop or the shooting range, seems like all the employees are packing OWB w/ extra clips etc.

Obviously, the concealed portion of concealed carry is just that, but I wonder why it's so important for it to not show whatsoever?

Welcome fellow Hoosier!

Many states are not like us here in Indiana and they don't allow open carry so they need to be concealed completely or face criminal charges. Also some states who allow open carry seem to not train their LEO's on the fact that it is actually legal to do so and then the officers tend to harass people for it. Others just choose to CC for there own reasons. For us Hoosiers it is easy since it doesn't matter either way if it shows or not. 90% of the time I open carry and the other 10% is split between front pocket and IWB. The only time I really conceal is at work because I must.

All that said I don't care how other people carry as long as they do. ;)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I think how much troble you might get into after someone spots you hand gun depends on how big a fuss they make over it.
Some old lady spot it and goes into a panic attack, starts having chest pains over it, your probbly in bad trouble!!!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Another Hoosier and LEO here. I carry my PF9 iwb using the belt clip and covered quite well by an untucked t-shirt 100% of the time. My P3 will ride as bug usually in my left cargo pocket of my jeans.

As far as why worry about it being concealed. I don't want anyone to know that I'm armed for several good reasons. I don't want to be the first target during a robbery or something similar. I also want to decide how I react to a situation and now draw attention to myself. That way if I were to need my weapon I should have suprise on my side too.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
ditto cjp32..... except I use mic holster. That is in the waist also. I gave up on belt clip, can't get pkt380 clip to stay put.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in a state where it is perfectly fine to carry openly, but I usually find that those that do are obnoxious and trying to prove some macho "thing".

I carry every day in a way that won't be noticed unless a trained eye is really, really looking for it. My reason is that it's no one's business whether I'm carrying unless someone's life is truly in danger.

I usually carry my P3AT in an ankle holster under dress pants (inconvenient but discreet at work), or in my back pocket wearing jeans the rest of the time.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
660 Posts
Also some states who allow open carry seem to not train their LEO's on the fact that it is actually legal to do so and then the officers tend to harass people for it.
Some high profile cases have turned the tide on this. Several of the harassed have won lawsuits with large compensation against municipalities for violating 4th Amend rights (illegal search and seizure/detainment).

I live in an open carry state (because there is no law preventing it) where one of these incidents happened. During an academy class, this was covered this in detail by a State's Attorney. I think all state's with open carry are hammering this home at the academy level now.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Daddy-o, I think it's important to distinguish between concealed carry out in public, which is YOU, versus employees carrying openly at their place of business.

An employee at a gun shop is quite likely to have a pistol on their belt. If they were working in a stationary store or auto parts or something, the sight of a customer walking through the door with a rifle would be a dead giveaway that it's time to beat it out the back. As a gun store or range worker, you can't, of course.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I do not carry IWB. The closest I ever come to that is, on rare occasions, carrying the P3AT in a belly band worn very low. Generally, however, I either pocket carry (which is not a preferred method although it gets used a lot due to other factors) or carry OWB. I can carry my CZ (vz) 82 OWB in a leather belt slide holster I made or my S&W 642, also in a home-made holster and conceal either by wearing a thin, untucked, unbuttoned shirt over a tucked in t-shirt or tank top (the t-shirt or tank top is to prevent the holster/gun from rubbing my side raw - in the summer, I like Hawaiian shirts for the purpose of an overshirt/cover garment.) In cooler weather when I can wear a thicker cover garment - say, a denim shirt or season-appropriate windbreaker, vest or so on - I can conceal anything up to and including my Ruger P95 using the same method (that is actually one reason I got rid of my P11 - it took the same measures to conceal it, for me, as to conceal the slightly larger, easier to shoot, higher capacity P95.) The P3AT in my FOBUS holster will disappear with just a long t-shirt over it with no need for an undershirt.

In TN, with an HCP, open carry is legal. I do not usually open carry but I also do not worry about incidental exposure all that much. Therefore, 100% concealment 100% of the time is not a major factor, for me.

When I was going on vacation in Florida last summer, however, I bought a conceal carry belt pack (fanny pack) and used the 642 with either the conceal carry pack or pocket carry. I think the whole 'a fanny pack is a dead giveaway that you are carrying' thing is at least overblown and quite possibly a total myth - at least in areas where tourists regularly use them such as at the beach in Florida or when you live close to other popular vacation spots like the Smoky Mountains (which I do.) Likewise, I do not believe that a fleece vest or Dickies/Carhart type vest are dead giveaways that you are carrying - as long as the weather is appropriate for wearing them - if you live in an area (as I do) where such things are common attire in cooler weather. Anyhow, back to the Florida trip, as previously mentioned I don't think pocket carry is the best method for me and I found drawing from the concealed carry pack to be a little awkward. Since Florida does not allow open carry, however, compromises had to be made.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The main reason I prefer open carry is simply for comfort. I don't like IWB at all it is not comfortable for me, but, I am generally carrying a large frame pistol too. I don't go out with someone in tow recording me trying to "see what will happen when I encounter a LEO" i have much better things to do with my time like live my life.

I have not taken my new PF9 to the range to break it in yet but when I do it may be more comfortable IWB but I will most likely just carry it in my pocket as my EDC when at work and a BUG when not working.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I lived in FL when open was legal, went hunting in the AM & walked into a 7-11 for bevrage & slim jims, no one said or thought anything. Now getiing medicare in 2 months & own a small business, don't do that. In NC, carring concealed, if it shows & someone sees it, You are in trouble. I hate trouble. Don't even like to carry except in my briefcase.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Regarding IWB carry under an untucked shirt, when I carried at 4 o'clock (just behind hip bone) I would sometimes get "made" when I bent over or when the wind blew the shirt up. Not a huge deal, as open carry is also legal here. But concealed means concealed, so I switch to "appendix carry" and haven't had such a problem since.

Some will say that having your sidearm pointed directly at your femoral artery or family jewels is dangerous, but with the long KT trigger pull plus a good quality holster, the chance for an ND is practically zero. Also with appendix carry I can quickly draw from a sitting position if need be.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Small p3AT for me still MIC holster. Most comfort,most concealed,easiest suprise draw.

All carries have problems and can be uncomfortable, this is the best and cheaper too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts