Very Slow Service at Kel-Tec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sam3pappy, May 4, 2009.

1. sam3pappy

sam3pappy New Member

May 4, 2009
    I love the people at Kel-Tec.... even the grumpy fellow who answers the phone when you have a tec issue or problem and answers question in a most succint, sometimes rude way. I sent my P3AT back to the company for service (was failing to feed) and the turn around time is EIGHT WEEKS! That's just absurd. I sure hope this fine company does something to improve their service, which has always been stellar.

No need to blast me. I'd still buy Kel Tec products in a heart beat. Sure wish management would address this problem somewhere on the forum. How about management????

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

1. This is not the Kel Tec complaint department.
    2. Eight weeks is not a terribly long time and is in fact with in the time frame they will quote when asked 'how long'. Many times they will beat that time frame, sometimes they don't. It is unusual for them to go eight weeks but it happens.
    3. 'Succint' perhaps you meant succinate ( I couldn't find 'succint' in Webster's) ?  Succinate =marked by compact precise expression without wasted words <a succinct description> that does not in it self equal rude.So your point is Bill is very precice and to the point , good , no wasted time with chit chat.
    4. Kel Tec management has nothing to do with the running of KTOG, it is ran by fans of the product.
    5. Not happy with Kel Tec refer to #1 and call 321-631-0088

3. sam3pappy

sam3pappy New Member

May 4, 2009
    My post was the first I've ever made on within the forum. Do you get some feel of superiority correcting a posters spelling and being sarcastic? I always wonder about people like you. In any event, thanks for letting me know that 8 weeks is not an unusual time frame for a pistol to be service. I didn't know. The wait is well worth it. Kel Tec is always praised on many forums.

4. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    sam3pappy,

8 weeks is too long to wait for repair. Unfortunately it is not unusual. Kel-Tec is better than most.

If it is sweet talk you're lookin' for in your phone calls, I can recommend a couple 900 numbers that will fill the bill.

Regarding correction of posts. Anytime you post with spelling errors or words misused you put responders in a no win situation. Do they A: Risk embarrassing and/or angering you by deeming you worthy of the effort to address the mistake so that you are better equipped to communicate in the future. or B: Ignore your error, and by implication imply that you are not worth bothering with. When I am encountered with such situations I sometimes just skip responding all together and go watch re-runs of "The Unit" The guy who wrote the book the series is based on is a cool dude :)

Best GL

5. sam3pappy

sam3pappy New Member

May 4, 2009
    Thanks, GL. ....... very sound advice, well taken.

Sam

6. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    No, I just saw you post a word I was unfamiliar with and I tried to look it up so I would know what your fancy word meant.  Nothing in my 1st post was written to be sarcastic.

I ain't here to date . (that was me being sarcastic  ;) )
    I'm a pretty plain and simple person. I sometimes tell it like it is. Sometimes I just pass over post like yours. Today I just felt like answering. I'd suggest ya thicken up your skin if your gonna be posting in a public forum. There will be those who post much more harshly than me. I just stated facts in my 1st post , sorry ya didn't like 'em. As far as spelling, I'm one of the worstest there ever was. But if'n I decide to use fancy words I try to make sure it is right so'n everyone can understand.
    Now if I did hurt your feelings , sorry but please reread my 1st post, like I said it was written to be factual nothing more.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    8 weeks is a long time for Kel-tec.  They are usually about half that, but not always.

For comparison purposes, read this thread:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238785867

There are firearms manufactures that routinely take several months for service.

P.S. Since the P3AT forum is crashed, I'll move this there for something to talk about. :D

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sam3pappy,

Burley is a good guy. He's been around since 11/26/06. His posts are usually well-informed. I know I've picked up a few tidbits of wisdom from him in the few months I've been on KTOG. If you stick around, you'll find that many of the folks on this site are a lot like Burley. They tend to cut to the chase. Few ever mean to be rude and it's best to approach each post with the assumption (Yes I know what they say about assuming anything.) that the poster had no intention of being rude. There is a lot of wisdom contained on this site. The longer you're here, the more you will understand the sense of community we have here on KTOG. It really is a great site.

Oh, I almost forgot; welcome aboard.

Peace,
    David

9. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    Welcome oh as far as the replys go.....if you post you will get one good or bad in your eyes but that's all they really are. So get tough, have some fun, get some info(and it's here)and welcome again

10. randyr5

randyr5 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    8 weeks is way too long for a repair. I sent my Walther PPS to S&W and had it back in about a week.

A better question would be is why do so many have to go back for service?

Don't get me wrong. I own a P-32 and P3AT and have done the fluff and buff to make them work reliably. But not all buyers of Kel-Tecs want to have to do this. Why can't Kel-Tecs come from the factory with polished feed ramps? That alone, IMHO, would cut down on a lot of the out-of-the-box FTF problems.

I recently bought a Glock 27, took it out of the box, field stripped it, cleaned and re-lubed, took it to the range and put 500 rounds through it without a hiccup.

I doubt that you could do that with most Kel-tecs.

11. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I feel your pain, eight weeks can seem like forever. I had a similar wait right after purchasing my first KT, in the end it was worth it, as my 3AT functions flawlessly now.
    I guess while we're on the subject of KT service, I've got to give them a big ataboy. Called Thursday for a couple small backup / replacement parts. Got the envelope yesterday. I had every intention of purchasing them, however they never asked me for any billing info, I guess they were on the house? Either way the response time was appreciated and impressive. :) I'm going to return the favor by picking up a new PF9 today, if I can find one.
    I hope in the end you're as happy of a KT customer as I have ended up being.

12. JB

JB Guest

Right now, I am pretty annoyed with my P3AT. After owning it for a couple of years, I finally got it working reliably (thanks to good info from this board.) It worked reliably for about six months and then started having different troubles. However...

You can still find NIB KelTecs for a little more or even less than $300. I doubt you could do that with most Glocks.

That is meant as a serious response - KelTecs cost less but the buyer may have to work with the gun in order to get it to run right or the buyer may have to send it home to the factory. Glocks might have a greater likelihood of running better right out of the box, but the customer pays for that. It is up to the buyer which suits their needs/abilities/wallet better and, since it seems that KelTec will make the gun run right if the customer can't, both are equally valid choices.

Of course, I suspect that part of KelTec's problem is that the P3AT pushes the envelope so much for caliber to size/weight ratio. The tolerances are so tight that there is simply greater opportunity for failure. A burr that might not even cause a hiccup in a larger gun (Glock or otherwise) can throw a P3AT all out of whack. I say that because I haven't heard of near as many problems, out of the box, with P11s, etc. as with the P3AT.

13. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/succinct

2: marked by compact precise expression without wasted words <a succinct description>
    synonyms see concise
    [ch8212] suc·cinct·ly \-[ch712]si[ch331](k)t-l[ch275], -[ch712]si[ch331]-kl[ch275]\ adverb
    [ch8212] suc·cinct·ness \-[ch712]si[ch331]t-n[ch601]s, -[ch712]si[ch331]k-n[ch601]s\ noun

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Actually, the last time this was looked into and numbers were requested from KT, there was between a 3 and 5% return rate. The 3% is more in line with the industry standard and the 5% a bit higher. But regardless of which number you look at 95% is definitely MOST. So yes, you CAN do that with MOST KTs.

-Scott

15. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Actually, the last time this was looked into and numbers were requested from KT, there was between a 3 and 5% return rate.  The 3% is more in line with the industry standard and the 5% a bit higher.  But regardless of which number you look at 95% is definitely MOST.  So yes, you CAN do that with MOST KTs.

-Scott
    [/quote]
    +1 Scott. What folks seem to forget is that forums like this exist because people have issues that need resolved. It makes it appear that the few who have problems are the majority because they are the majority of the posts. It's kind of like the biggest fish in the pond. What is big for an aquarium is bait on the river bank. Most KTs are flawless whether they need a F&B or not. Personally, I like to think of my KTs as kit guns. I can personalize it and recreate it in my own image. (Yes, that's a bad pun.) My XD SC 40 is just like everyone else's but my KTs are all me. You can't do that with a Gluck.