Vertical draw shoulder holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by riverkeeper, Jan 27, 2010.

1. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Anyone have and can recommend one for a P3at --- prefer non leather.

2. handicomp

handicomp Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I don't have one, but Ace Case makes one for small autos.
    http://acecase.com/shoulder-holster-vertical-complete.html

I have never tried for for any small auto, but in the past I tried one for a large frame auto and found I didn't like all the harness on my shoulder and back. It just wasn't comfortable for me. But that's my opinion.

Ron

3. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks Ron--
    This one seems a little large for the P3 based on my guess but it will perfectly fit it seems my stainless SW 642 5 shot 38 which is the right HG for my situation ... rural-wilderness outdoors 5-6 hrs a day most days. My Smith unfortunately is on the opposite side of the country.... and will be for a year or so.

4. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Got this holster a few weeks ago -- it's perfect as is with the J Frame 38 and J Frame 357 so perfect and accessible that I removed the thumb break ... stays in even upside down and litely shaken (but not stirred).

With the P3 it works the same AFTER putting it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster first ... secure and easy to draw.

Advice -- the possibility of shooting your off side arm exists if trigger finger discipline is not relentless.  Most schools will teach raising the off side arm during the shoulder draw. Virtually all of my practice (which is for CQC) is one handed with the off side fully engaged in defending or attacking.

Here's a podcast from another thread that confirms the one handed thing by a current SWAT commander in Chicago.
    http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/05/23/052-interview-with-bob-stasch-of-the-chicago-police-department/

Edit-- during almost any range situation care must be extreme to avoid the muzzle sweeping those around you.

5. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Very curious about one thing regarding using a shoulder holster with a P3AT -

If I were in a situation where my clothing could "hide" all the trappings of a shoulder-holster (i.e. like the one pictured) - why would I want a P3AT there residing in the shoulder-holster while "in another holster" (as with your example of an Uncle Mikes) ?

If I WERE in a position where a shoulder-holster would be in order, wouldn't I want to use it for a larger handgun - while still carrying/concealing the P3AT as a BUG somewhere else on my body/in my clothing?

Just curious mind you - trying to grasp the "carry-concept" you're putting forth - thanks!

6. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I will use this holster primarily in a few situations and primarily with a J Frame(bigger gun 357 or 38+), with or without over clothing, understand these are used with big irons typically--
    Driving in the car long distance ..accessible, easy carry, comfortable!
    Outside in very remote areas -- often all day in active behavor .. ditto plus not in the way under any circumstances.
    Around home ... all the above.

I have carried big irons, but not now for reasons that've been beaten to death on this board .. big irons were carried where there were big and frequent threats, purchased the P3 specifically for that as a BUG.

Far lower threat level where we've moved to ... fewer guns on board and sometimes less gun.

I carried the P3 pocket and occ appendix ... this is more comfortable by far than either for 16/7, tho slower draw to fire.

P3 and the Airweights in the holster LOOK fine and Mike is completely hidden .. v easy grab and draw.
    ... better than expected.

Even the Airweights, with Pachmyer compact grips, are a tad bulky and have some mass ... and work better for me in the SH long term than appendix or cross draw ... 4 o clock and pocket for these were a pain .. literally at times. Then I used the standard grips.

P3 has no print in the SH.

I live in an open carry state and usually alternative recreation is in another open carry recip state ... I've only open carried a few times when it was esp inconvenient to conceal.

I've chosen to reduce gun size at times and increase draw by a few tenths for comfort ... (gobble, gobble).

Good question, tho you may not agree with my conclusions and experience ... best to you.
    rk

Edit--
    Try sitting with the empty P3 in a pants pocket ... then suddenly on an alert by someone else . go to grab to draw to point. Shoulder will prolly be quicker.  Try standing and draw to point from the pocket getting into the pocket for th grab and draw .. ain't what some think.  

Pocket is excellent as you observe the conditions go from yellow to orange to red.  You've already got your Roscoe hand where it should be ... right? Then pocket is lightning fast.

7. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah - I know what you're saying now.....

I have a few pair of the WIDE strapped/heavy duty suspenders (one pair of them the CLASSIC red, lol) in which I've made minor modifications so I can easily (comfortably) carry my P3 in an UncleMikes IWB size#10

P3 in the holster - the nylon holster/belt-clip attaches near the suspender's adjustable buckle, underneath the suspender strap against my chest.

Next time you're at Wally~World, look at the "WIDE" heavy-duty work suspenders and you can easily see how it works (and you can get the suspenders for less than 10bucks on sale, lol)

8. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Funny you mention the suspender thing.

Just today I've considered replacing the belt loop holster stabilizing webbing with 2 heavy duty suspender grips .. assume it would be quicker to attach and detach.  couldn't decide wether to use the webbing with a slider adjustment or go with adjustable elastic.

My daily activities require bending over to almost or actually a kneel at times so I'm currently thinking black suspender elastic.

I'm handy with a sewing machine BUT my wife doesn't cook either. :(

9. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    This is what I'm talking about.... Just the standard #10 IWB holster -

Tuck the holster beneath (IWB) the actual suspender strap and use the holster's pant/belt-clip to keep it "clipped" and stable on the suspender strap

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html

[​IMG]
    (note - this is just a photo from a website, not my holster or pistol)

SIDE BENEFIT: Although I DO realize the benefits of a belt to keep my pants up, as I get older and older I've begun to realize how uncomfortable belts can be, lol - ESPECIALLY in the car while driving....

10. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Bah - I just took one of the pairs of suspenders down to the local "Viking Sewing Center" and had the lady use the machine's "button holer" to cut and seam a slit in the suspender strap; took her about one minute.... I ended up not liking that as much as just being able to slide the holster ANYWHERE up and down the suspender straps themselves.....

11. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I have 2 Kangaroo style sholder, (chest band type) holsters and love them for driving, especially nice with snap catch shirts. Jim <><