Venison slow cooker recipe

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mkamer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    We had taken Brennan's deer to a well know local meat processor and gotten some custom products (summer sausage, Italian sausage, hot mettwurst, breakfast sausage). We took the back straps whole. We've loved all the custom products but haven't tried the straight venison yet. I was going to be working around the house all day Saturday so I decided to try make my first attempt at cooking up some back straps. Used this recipe from my brother:

Venison back strap or roast
    1 can Coke
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet dry onion soup mix
    taters
    carrots
    Put all in slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low

Yes, you read that correct...a can of Coke. Apparently it acts as a meat tenderizer and also carmelizes. It turned out fantastic. Whole family devoured every bit of it.

I guess we've completely covered the hunting culture now. :cool:

2. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Sounds simple and good. You ain't done yet though. Ya gotta try making your own summer sausage and dry some jerk too.

Here is a nice meal in a pot.

Burley's Pot Roast Meatloaf  ;
    (we dbl this up and save leftovers for the week)

1 lb ea hamburger and ground venison(we use either or both also)
    6 to 10 slices dried bread(crackers work too)
    2 to 3 eggs
    1 can condensed milk
    1-32 oz can whole tomatoes
    Several potatoes pealed quartered
    Several onions skinned quartered
    Several carrots chopped
    Several stalks celery chopped
    1/8 cup minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon onion salt

Mix burger/milk/eggs/bread/onion salt/garlic , place in roaster in a large gooey pile in the center of pan. Surround with veggies, pour tomatoes ,juice and all over top (sometimes I pour a can of tomato soup on too)
    Cover and bake at 350 deg for an hour and 15 min to 30 min (check potatoes for doneness )

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Keep'em coming guys...

4. Deuce3

Deuce3 Member

May 6, 2008
    Had venison meatloaf over the weekend and a meatloaf sandwich for lunch. I can't tell you what went into it because my wife made it, but it was good.

I do the mushroom-onion soup thing (minus Coke) with pot roasts, usually a deer shoulder roast. I do it in a foil sealed pan in the oven.

Made some good breakfast sausage using 2 to 1 deer meat to pork with sage, ginger, red & black pepper, brown sugar, and salt. Came out really good.

5. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Burley - that meatloaf sounds great. And I'm definitely wanting to try making some of my own jerky sometime.

torrent - you know I blame you for turning us on to how good venison is after that night you skillet cooked some for Brennan and I when we went squirrel hunting. ;) Been hooked ever since.

6. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    With spring right around the corner, I'm definitely looking forward to having some turkey jerky in April!