#V0837

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Pacificplinker, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Pacificplinker

Pacificplinker New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Greetings and many thanks to many members for your helpful posts in helping me to make the SU-22 my first, and positively not my last firearm or Kel-Tec purchase. My research in to finding a light weight, packable rifle that was accurate and affordable to shoot led me to this site and helped me to make a well informed decision.
    The experience has also been very educational in the matter of state gun laws and the hoops some have to jump through to exercise ones second amendment right. Hawaii, where I reside happens to be one of the stricter states for firearm ownership. Living on a smaller outer island with no gun shops or legal gun ranges has also proved to be a challenge in my legally acquiring and shooting this great little rifle. My persistence and patients was definitely worth it.
    I received mine from Able Ammo (Great customer service by the way) via my FFL dealer (another added fee on top of shipping out here) about six weeks ago and have since put about six hundred rounds through it. I could not be happier with how its breaking in. I keep it very clean and oiled due to the very humid climate here and am stoked at how easy the rifle is to break down and clean.
    Acquiring ammo is another challenge on a small island, for the paradise tax is high on ammo. I have been shooting bulk Winchester dynapoint hp, CCI stinger hp and CCI blazers. I have had no problems with CCI ammo and I am glad cause the stingers cost 10.00 bucks!!! for a pack of fifty here. What's the going rate on the main land anyway? The Dynapoints are cheaper and in the beginning I was having some failure to feed problems consistently. Not any more though. My last outing I went through three full clips with no problems at all. My groups at 25 yds with the iron sites are getting tight, both in the prone and standing position. I have to do my shooting in the back country where they filmed Jurrassic Park, fortunately not to far from home. I will post some pics soon....
    So far a big thumbs up for the American made and lifetime warrantied Kel-Tec SU-22!!
    As far as modifying I really like the charlie stock configuration but the pistol grip collapsable looks really cool too. Where can I find one and how much? Also Optics, Looking at the compact BSA tactical series. Any input??
    Mahalo and Aloha from the middle of the Pacific.

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Aloha!

OK. I'll stop whining about .22 LR ammo increasing to $15 for a box of 550 rounds.

I use RemOil, but if I was in a humid place like Hawaii I might switch to Eezox. It's probably the best gun oil for preventing corrosion. I might even resort to keeping the SU-22 folded and stored in a roll-top waterproof bag with some desiccant and anti-corrosion cards.

You should be able to buy the pistol grip stock from Kel-Tec, either by itself so you can add the AR stock of your choosing, or with a nice generic AR collapsible stock included. I'd call Kel-Tec and inquire. You should be able to find these products on their website. It's the same pistol grip AR stock that fits the SU-16 rifle.

I'm looking forward to the exotic pictures of your SU-22 in the tropics. I hope you never need to use your SU-22 to protect yourself from baby velociraptors!

3. U.S.Patriot

U.S.Patriot Guest

Just curious what Island you are on? I was stationed on Kauai for just over three years. Man do I miss it.

4. Pacificplinker

Aug 14, 2009
    I live on Kauai, Eastside, Way up the hill in Wailua. Glad to hear you got to spend some time here. It is an amazing place. Were you stationed at PMRF Pat?

Thank you Liberty for the tips on corrosion prevention, Friends of mine here have had guns eaten by the elements in a short amount of time and lack of care. I will be sure mine does not suffer the same fate and remains clean and mean. Also, with how much I have been enjoying the SU-22 it has me already searching for an SU-16. Any word on when more will become available?
    Every where I look they are out of stock. A shotgun is a little higher on my list but I want one!

5. U.S.Patriot

U.S.Patriot Guest

No I was stationed in Nawiliwili harbor, Coast Guard.

6. BuccaneersFan

BuccaneersFan New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I just paid $6.11 including 6% tax for 50rds from Wal-Mart a few days ago. I'm in central Florida.

7. U.S.Patriot

U.S.Patriot Guest

Wow that's crazy. I just saw mini-mags today for $7 per 100 rounds.

8. Pacificplinker

Aug 14, 2009
    I have recently found that although the CCI mini-mags are ridiculously over priced here, they happen to be the most effective at silencing some of the over abundant ferrel roosters not far from my neighborhood. If we were allowed suppressors, I would be a hero on my block...I am eager to try and hear some sub-sonic rounds..Again any feedback is welcome. For those of you that don't know, The ferrel chickens although a great food source if and when TSHTF, are everywhere without a natural predator. They Crow at all hours and love to feast on your vine ripening tomatoes and other garden tenders. I am ordering my scope soon....Hey Bucs fan, Derrick Ward formally from my NY Giants is gonna tear it up for you guys, keep an eye on him...Alohaz...

9. BuccaneersFan

BuccaneersFan New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I just paid $9.99 for 100rds or mini-mags yesterday.

10. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    FYI

The AR-stock will make the SU-22 less packable. It does not fold all the way over, like the standard stock or the C-model stock does. C-model stock is the lightest though.

Since you are not allowed silencers there, you could always try some super-colibri rounds (if you can get them), or other underpowered rounds (.22 Shorts may actually cycle). The colibri's are primer only so they do not make much noise, and might not do the job on feral roosters, but they are super quiet. They also do not have enough energy to cycle the action, so you effectively have a bolt action.