Using "Snap Caps" in p3at p32& pf9.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOME_MEANS_NEVADA, Oct 29, 2010.

1. HOME_MEANS_NEVADA

HOME_MEANS_NEVADA New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I'm a newbie. I recently purchased a p3at. I have'nt shot it yet because of time and obligations.
    This Wedensday, November 3rd, gonna take it out in the desert for its inaugural shoot and will use American Eagle 95gr FMJ for target/break in etc. After reading other threads, I'm gonna get some other brands as well.
    I have been raised on the belife that you never dry shoot a gun and I never intentionally have.
    Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, but I never heard of Snap Caps until recently. Yesterday I picked up a pack of 5 for $16.99+ tax. Seemed rather pri$ey to me. I got them to test the trigger pull....and later drawing.
    Has anybody tried/used Snap Caps made by Lyman Products of Middletown, CT?

2. redjak

redjak New Member

May 19, 2010
    Yes, I have A-Zoom Snap Caps made by Lyman Products for my P-32 and P-11 . The Snap Caps allow me to practice and get used to the trigger pull. It improves my shooting when I practice with Snap Caps.

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I also use A-Zoom snap caps. Got 'em in 9MM and .380ACP as well as 12 Gauge, 20 Gauge and .410 Bore.

I got into this brand as I was using Triple K snap caps in my shotguns and one day when the wife and I went Pheasant hunting, she broke open her 20 gauge to load it and told me I'd only put one snap cap in it.

I took a look and the plastic base had broken off on one of them and it was stuck in the barrel just past the chamber. If she'd put a round in and pulled the trigger, it would have probably blown up.

I threw away all the plastic snap caps that day and bought all new aluminum ones from A-Zoom and never looked back.

I advise anyone who's using plastic shotgun snap caps to ditch them before something bad happens.

4. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    You must use Snap Caps to dry fire a P3AT.   If you don't the hammer will "bash up" the threads of the "Frankenbolt" that holds the extractor spring.  It probably won't shear off the bolt but it may render total disassembly difficult or impossible.  When using real ammo or a snap cap, the hammer won't hit this bolt.  Kel-Tec could probably have added a separate hammer stop but, this would have added weight.  This is one of the prices that you pay for having a super-light gun.  I hope that this clarifies this issue for you.

5. HOME_MEANS_NEVADA

HOME_MEANS_NEVADA New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Like I said, I never heard of Snap Caps until about 5 months ago.
    Thanks much! I appreciate all the come backs

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Some people and some gun makers claim that dry firing is not a bad thing with well-made guns, blah blah blah. However, it must be noted that ALL gun makers sell their firing pins as a replacement part. Why? Dry firing will eventually break the firing pin in any gun by any maker. I applaud KT for having the gumption to tell the truth about the damage dry firing causes. HOME_MEANS_NEVADA, good for you that you've never done it and that you have no plans to start such a reckless habit.

I hope you enjoy your P3AT as much as I do mine. Mine is the only semi-auto I've ever owned that has never jammed. Even during break in, my P3AT ran circles around the Ruger LCP which I bought before I got my P3AT. I no longer own the LCP but my P3AT is always on me either in my pocket, my ankle holster, or tucked in my waistband via the belt clip. I never leave home without it. My P3AT is so reliable, I forced myself to put 400 rounds through it in one range session and it never failed. The gun was filthy and dry from the burnt powder but it never jammed! After 400 rounds, I was exhausted and my hand was sore. I gave out but my P3AT didn't. :cool:

7. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Just curious, could .380 snap caps be used in a 9mm? I'm considering purchasing a 9mm and wondered if they would cross over (since I already have snap caps for my p3at).

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't recommend it. The two rounds are only the same in the mouth of the case and the bullet itself. The .380 has a much smaller base than the 9mm Luger. There is no way to ensure the "primer" of the .380 snap cap will line up with the the firing pin of your 9mm handgun.

9. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Oh well, I guess there goes another $15. Thanks for the info.

10. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I believe you can pick them up off of Amazon.com for a little over ten after shipping. I was gonna order some from there, Then seen them at my LGS for ~$15 with no wait. I went ahead and bought them. However i will probably order a set of 7.62x39, 9mm, .45, .40, and 12g soon.

11. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    You are on the right track to avoid the dry firing on most of your pistols. When ever I buy a Kel Tech, I try to purchase a gun that is still in the sealed factory box that has not made it to the counter to be abused by those dry snappers. Sales staff don't appear to be aware of the Kel Tech design and the need to avoid dry firing those products.

12. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    You're right about this. When I bought my P3AT, I was aware of the warnings against dry firing w/o a snap cap but I wanted to see what the trigger pull was like. I asked the gun shop guy if he would mind if I dry fired it. He said go ahead. I did, two or three times and then said I wanted to buy.

I was about to say I wanted a diferent one, NIB, but before I could even say it, he pulled out a brand new one and sold me that one. The dry fired one went back in the display case.

13. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I bought mine used from a gs a couple years ago when they were hard to find (right after the 2008 presidential election). owner said "go ahead and dry fire it, you can't hurt these things." After I got on ktog I realized the error. I sent it back to KT for tweaking anyway and it got replaced. It is amazing how ignorant GS owners can be about their products some times. Especially for guns like the p3at with long trigger pulls, the practice the snap caps allow is well worth the investment.

14. mtnboy51

mtnboy51 New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I bought my P3AT last weekend and have not had a chance to get to the range yet. I wanted to know how the trigger felt so ... I dry fired the pistol a couple of times.  :-[ What kind of damage could I have done? How would I know? I hope I haven't ruined the gun already.

15. Deadmannumberone

Deadmannumberone New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    This:

16. mtnboy51

mtnboy51 New Member

Dec 5, 2010

So, if disassembly is just as easy as when I bought the gun then I haven't done any real damage yet. Is that how you see it?

Thanks for pointing out the previous point, I saw it earlier but by the time I got to the bottom of the thread I had a senior moment. :-[ I am still not exactly sure what a "Frankenbolt" is though.

17. hurondive

hurondive New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I purchased a package of TRADITIONS" Snap caps from a local gs for $20. They have a metal base and a see through plastic "bullet". Seem to be holding up ok so far although i can see marks on the "primer" from the firing pin. I did not research this purchase I just got what the gunshop had.

18. Deadmannumberone

Deadmannumberone New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I have those moments from time to time as well. Not 100% sure if it's true here, but "franken-PART" is usually used to describe a part that is changed while the rest of the gun remains the same.

Also some reference for quality snap caps:
    Pachmayr/A-Zoom .380 ACP Aluminum Snap Cap

19. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I really don't think the gun will be damaged by a couple of dry fires. Most folks will dry fire by accident when shooting and they don't count their shots and snap on an empty chamber.  Worst case would be to replace the firing pin and extractor screw, which could be done at the factory.  If you have only dry fired a few times then you can be confident that you have not damaged your pistol.  If dry fired a lot, the gun could be repaired at the factory.  Having said that, I am shooting for zero dry firings, but already dry snapped it once during first range session when I wasn't paying close attention to number of shots fired.  

On a side note, my new 3AT has a little window by the extractor which  makes it quite easy to tell if you have a loaded chamber. I plan to continue to use this little window to help me avoid dry snapping my 3AT.

I have pointed this issue out to several GS folk, but they appear to be completely uninterested as it has no impact on them. I will pay more for a NIB factory fresh Kel Tec.

20. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Mtnboy: Disassembly has nothing to do with it. The parts damaged by dry firing are the screw that holds the extractor in place and the firing pin. You could bash them over and over again and damage them and the gun would still strip down the same as before the damage. I would not worry at all about dry firing 2 or 3 times.