Used Hard chrome and Green $

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rdemilt, Apr 16, 2011.

1. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I found a used OD green and chrome P3AT at a local gun store in a town I am visiting, It looks very clean and is a 2nd generation, They want $225. 00 what do you guys think ??? My time in town is limited so I need to decide quickly. I will also try searching for the info. Just looking for opinions.

THanks,
    Rick

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    try for $200 out the door ;)
    but if supply is limited in your area and you like the look, go for it

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IF the gun is in really good shape, that is not a bad price, nor is it a steal. I could find a NIB hard chrome here for about $260. I'd offer $200. If they balk, offer their price if they'll throw in a box of ammo or some other relatively cheap accessory. If they won't budge and you still want the gun, you could do worse.

4. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    As a point of reference  on a new one, CDNN has been offering new p3ats 190-200 in grey and brown with blued slides. + 18 shipping + whatever a local ffl will charge you for a transfer.  

Personally I'd also push for $200 otd, despite the green. I think it all depends on your preferences.

5. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I went back to the gun store but in the end decided to pass, I was really interested but then noticed that the frame was pushed out in the area the assembly pin. When I brought this up to the salesman he did a field strip for better inspection. I also noticed the the green plastic  frame had a stress mark around the same area. Whatever the cause the salesman pulled it from the case to avoid selling it to anyone prior to looking into what is wrong and what is damaged. So thanks for the feedback from all. Im happy with the outcome and I still have my old reliable P3AT I've always carried.

6. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    That pushed out area is the spring that holds the frame pin has come out of the groove that it is supposed to sit in. Mine did that the first time I field stripped it and I had to pull the gun apart to get it seated back right. If someone who had it before didn't fix it and shot it that accounts for the stress marks you noticed. I doubt this would cause the gun to fail and a new factory grip is $29 from KT. I would offer the guy $150 as is.

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    [smiley=smiley_up.gif] True [smiley=smiley_up.gif]

It is also possible to remove the frame from the grip, heat the bowed out area of the grip with a heat gun or even a blow dryer, and clamp the halves of the top opening together, thus making the grip fit tightly to the frame again.  I bought a used 1st gen P3AT once that had that problem.  For some reason, it was more common with the 1st gen pistols.  The problem can be caused by not (as the maual directs) pressing against the grip along side the assembly pin when removing the pin.  That can pull the assembly pin spring into the grip and over time can cause that bowed out section of the grip.  It is not at all common in the 2nd gen pistols, but we see it occassionally.  It's a pretty easy fix.  Worst case scenario - change the grip.

8. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Again , Thanks for all the information, but because of the price of $225.00 firm I decided to pass as this was not a  deal... for me. Im not afraid of anything that needs some work...  cars, boats or whatever but the price needs to work and based on the good information from you guys this price didnt fit the situation.

Rick

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nope - at that price it needs to be more LNIB.

10. LostBits

LostBits Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm jealous. I can't find any used Kel-Tec's in my area. Ones that need work or otherwise.

11. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Was in a Tampa pawn shop yesterday working and they had 7 p3at's for sale. All $289.00 and up. 5 were used guns and they didn't want to deal at all. Told the guy I could buy NIB for less money than the $325 he wanted for a HC used one. He said I was full of BS so I said check Buds in Lexington Ky. Even with FFL fees I could beat that price. It's no wonder he had so many. Hell he had some High Points that he wanted $275 for used.

12. Holiday009

Holiday009 Guest

Don't see many new or used one's in local shops around here ! Try watching some of the online auctions and you'll find a new chrome one at a good price.

13. liltoy

liltoy New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I wish I would have found this deal. I would love to have that slide