used 3at serial no.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    In the near future I may be in the market for either a P32 or P3AT(I can't buy both and haven't decided which one yet). I feel pretty confident in buying a used gun and am interested in doing so to save $$$. What serial # do I need to look for in the P3AT to make sure that it is at least 2nd gen.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Instead of looking for S#. Just look for the differances
    [​IMG]

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The one on the left is 1st gen and the one on the right is 2nd gen. ;)
    If you go with the P32 the first generation is slightly more desirable, it's lighter and IMO looks better. The P3AT I think the 2nd gen is the one to look for. If the price was right I wouldn't worry too much about what generation it is.

CJ

4. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I`ve been carrying my p3at for a year now ,quess it sounds silly but when I bought it I didn`t realize there was a 1st and 2nd generation..needless to say I have the 2nd gen. but other than the exterior changes what changes have been made to the guts.. or is there a site that my explain it...Thanks in advance

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I have one of each and the only differences that I can think of off-hand are the slide, extractor, extractor spring and the extractor bolt (frankenbolt). Of course the grip is slightly different as well.

Kel-Tec made the change because the Gen. I pistols required the use of octagonal steel bar stock and the Gen. II ones can be machined from less expensive rectangular steel bar stock.

6. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009

OK thanks

7. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Glad this has come up since I'm just a few days from getting my wife the P32.
    With the P32 recommendation of first generation is this just because of weight or function?
    Thanks

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I only have a Gen 1 P32 so I can't directly compare the two. I can say that my G1 P32 has been one of my most reliable and most often carried weapons. The P32 is possibly KT's most reliable gun so you can't go wrong with either generation, they also shoot very nicely. I can also tell you that my wife and I used to fight over the P32 before I bought a P3AT, now she gets the P32 most days  ;) The reason I like the G1 better is mostly looks but the slight difference in weight doesn't hurt.

CJ

9. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I'll remember to look for the flat top on the 2nd gen.