Updated-Custom SU-16 Parts From Desert Bandito

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Desert_Bandito, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Desert_Bandito

Desert_Bandito New Member

May 23, 2010
    I everyone.

I am pleased to offer up for sale my unique custom parts that I have designed and machined for several models of the Kel-Tec SU-16. *:)

SU-16 CA & C Model Screw-on Barrel Cover.
    $48 including shipping

This screw-on barrel cover replaces the rather plain Jane looking knurled barrel thread protector that’s come on all SU-16 CA & C models, and is a stylish alternative for people who aren’t installing a muzzle break or flash suppressor.

Its precision machined out of quality steel and is 1.47” in length and has a ½-28 thread and 6 radially placed ball mill grooves, and comes in a durable and attractive satin black or semi-gloss black powder coat finish as well as easy to follow installation instructions. * *

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SU-16 A Model Slip-on Barrel Cover $48 Including shipping

If you own an SU-16 A model and plan on removing the stock plastic front sight and don’t intend to install another front sight, this slip-on barrel cover is just the ticket for covering up the ugly looking exposed step on the end of the barrel. It is easily installed on the barrel after removing the stock front sight using the supplied Loctite cylindrical retaining compound, which is the same method the factory uses to attach the stock front sight to the barrel.

Its precision machined out of quality steel and is 1.47” in length and has 6 radially placed ball mill grooves, and comes in a durable and attractive satin black or semi-gloss black powder coat finish as well as easy to follow front sight removal and barrel cover installation instructions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SU-16 A & B Model Custom Gas Block Mounted Front Sight $110 including shipping

This custom designed gas block mounted replacement front sight is the only one of its kind available for the SU-16 A & B models for those who want to remove the front sight yet retain their irons sights with one that places the front s.

It’s precision machined out of 6061 T-6 billet aluminum and uses the stock Kel-Tec front sight post, detent pin and spring from the CA & C model front sights which it comes supplied with. The front sight post is set to the same height as the gas block mounted front sights on the CA & C models, and adjustment of the sight post are the same as for those models.

Installation of the sight requires removing the stock forend and installing Kel-Tecs compact forend. The sight then installs easily over the gas block using the supplied S/S mounting screws and spacer which fit through the forend pivot pin hole in the gas block securely attaching the front sight to the rifle. Both sights are available in a durable and attractive satin black or a semi-gloss black powder coat finish, as well as in an angle side version, or straight side version with ball mill grooves. Detailed easy to follow installation instructions are included.

Angled side front sight in satin black finish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Semi-gloss black finish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom Rear Sight Plates $25 to $45

If you find that the width if the notch in the Kel-Tec buckhorn rear sight is to wide and allows too much light gap on each side of the front sight post for you, which can make accurate sight alignment hard, I offer a overlay sight plate with a much narrower .060 width groove which attaches to the face of the buckhorn rear sight which cuts down the light gap on the front sight post considerably and makes much quicker and accurate sight alignment.

I also make custom rear sight plates that incorporate the rear sight into the bases of scope mounts like the high mount for the StrikeFire red dot scopes as shown. All rear sight plates are adjustable for windage.

Kel-Tec buckhorn rear sight
    [​IMG]

StrikeFire High scope mount with integral iron sight
    [​IMG]

I accept personal check or money orders for payment.

Please send your payments to;

Scott Brown
    42936 Lemonwood Dr.
    Lancast

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Re: Custom SU-16 Parts From Desert Bandito

I like it. From what you show the parts appear to be very well made. Good luck in your endeavours.

3. Desert_Bandito

May 23, 2010

Thanks!

4. Desert_Bandito

May 23, 2010

Well I'm sort of confused that after having a bunch of people say they wanted to buy my front sight if I made them, and that since listing them in the vendors section I have not sold one at all, or had any inquiries about any of my parts.

I have tried to price the front sight and my barrel covers at what I think is a fair price. I also hope people understand that my front sight and barrel covers are not mass produced CNC parts, but are hand machined and finished in very small quantities and I put a lot of time and effort into all of my products, and I wanted to offer the members here some unique products that no one else does.

Thanks.

Scott  

5. cma_g21

cma_g21 Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Florida

Payment sent for SU-16 A & B Model Custom Gas Block Mounted Front Sight.

6. marukka

marukka New Member

Jul 5, 2010

I don't think what your asking is unreasonable considering they're low volume parts done by hand and appear to be of decent quality. But you have to consider, is someone who buys a $400 - $500 (gun broker) gun, going to want spend $40 on a fake muzzle brake, or $110 - $130 on a set of iron sights? The gun all ready comes with these parts (or substantily similar ones), so at any realistic price point, the only buyers will probably be people who really love their SU-16.

Compare this to Nighthawk's cheekpeice for the RFB, which has been rather successfull. He is asking $35 for low volume hand made kydex accessory. The RFB doesnt come with one, and the metal cover in the rear does get quite hot, being so close to the chamber. RFBs currently go for $1600 - $1700 (gunbroker), so $35 isnt much in comparision. Sorry to say it, but there probably isnt much of a market for your parts, no matter how well made; unless you know a machinist in China.

If you really want to make aftermarket parts for KelTecs, get a RFB and try with that, those people are much more willing to drop $100+ on a aftermarket acceessory. I think the only things on mine that were under $100 was the cheekpeice and leather sling, even the two QD sling swivels (combined cost) was over $100. If you want to get started, look in to:
    - Making a 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" thread reduction bushing & 1 1/8 jam nut, so we can mount AR15 quad rail forends.
    - Making a stainless steel gas block that doesnt explode
    - Figure out how to properly disassemble the lower half, so it could be sent out for exotic coatings.
    - Make a standard length top rail with integrated folding sights (front sight would be forward folding)
    - Make a really really long top rail, so there is more than 9" sight radius.

If you could make that reduction bushing, I would buy one today, and im sure plenty of other people will too snce KelTec hasnt annouced a release date for their quad rail. It also seems like it would be the easiest/cheapest to make.

7. glennfrank

glennfrank New Member

Sep 5, 2008

I rarely come into this section of the forum - but for some reason today I did.
    I am glad I did.
    I will be ordering a SU-16 A & B Model Custom Gas Block Mounted Front Sight just as soon as I can scrape the money together.

8. Desert_Bandito

May 23, 2010

I would like to thank all the members who have or are going to purchase my products. ;)

9. readr1

readr1 New Member

Apr 18, 2007

I'm with him.... I definitely want to put a free-float forend on my RFB.

10. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005
    I have been watching members like Desert Bandito, Red Lion and Jessej396 (any others) who have went out and invested time, money and alot of effort to develop parts and accessories for the SU-16's. We (KTOG) are very fortunate to have these members. I would like to thank Desert Bandito for his continued persistence in developing these parts which look like high quality and unique pieces. We asked for these type of accessories so we should definitely support these people!

I would like those who have bought some of these accessories to just spend a minute and give a short review of these pieces and maybe a picture or two of them mounted. I think this would help get some of those people who may be on the fence about buying these parts make up their mind!   Thanks Desert Bandito for making these very unique parts and sticking with it, hopefully these will sell like "hotcakes"!

Bam Bam

11. trolldownstairs

trolldownstairs New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    As soon as I scrap together some cash, I will be buying, and posting pictures / review.

12. glennfrank

glennfrank New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I am still planning on ordering one as soon as I can. I came across a deal this weekend that I couldn't pass up so it may be a bit longer. :(

13. cma_g21

cma_g21 Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Florida
    I just received my gas block sight.

It looks very well made. It'll be a while before I can get it installed and take pictures, but I really like it!

Thanks Scott!

14. SgtSly

SgtSly New Member

May 15, 2010
    Been slowly working my way toward 25 for this specific reason. Next pay check DB.

15. IslandTimes

IslandTimes New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If I had an A or a B I'd definitely be ordering your stuff, it all looks great!

16. glennfrank

glennfrank New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Just wanted to give this a bump. I've had to throw some money at some things I hadn't planned on lately, but I am still interested.

17. vampire847

vampire847 New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    does your front sight sit higher up than the original? so you could use say a flip up sight or something of the sort... and if not you should try making a rail for the front sight that would be level with the rail on the receiver

18. ArcticNemo

ArcticNemo New Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Central WA
  19. KORNBREAD

KORNBREAD New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    GA
    Now that would be awesome and I would have to have one. I would just be worried that most flip up sights would be to tall to maintain a decent cheek weld. HUM?