Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a black RDB-C last year, and I'm very happy with it. It came with the mag release on the right side only, which can be a pain. Lately, I've been seeing videos and pictures of RDB-Cs with an ambidextrous mag release. Can anyone tell me if this a kit that can be purchased, or is it standard on the newer RDB-Cs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keltec finally updated their support website. Using chrome, I could never send messages.

Anyway I asked about the ambi mag release and they sent me one free-of-charge (thanks Keltec!)

Since there are no instructions I figured I'd share a few photos to help anyone else trying to do it themselves. The trick is you need to twist the round mag release button on the right-hand side to disconnect it from the mag catch that you'll be replacing. Just under the button the round cylinder has square cuts for a wrench.

Mine was too tight to finger twist and too low profile for any of my wrenches or pliers, so I made myself my own low-profile wrench to get the sucker out. Turns out it just need a little loosening. After about a quarter turn, I could get the rest of it out by hand.

Here's an image of the button peg thing in all it's glory. Note the square cuts on the left side. I recommend screwing it into the new ambi mag catch now to 1) make sure it fits and 2) clean out some of the dirt and grime from the threads to make the actual install a little easier

Now just go backwards. Holding the new mag release where the old one was, twist the button peg into the mag catch. Use your DIY wrench or a pair of very skinny needle-nose pliers to finish tightening.

Go to the range, test it out, and have some fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's definitely an improvement for mag changes. For some reason, after I swapped mine, the bolt would lock back randomly with rounds still in the mag. I couldn't get through a 10rd mag without it happening at least once. I would have to push the bolt release to chamber the next round. It only did this with PMAGs. Hex mags gave me no problems. I backed the gas down 2 or 3 clicks and it seemed to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
So, is it possible that the impact from the over gas condition was causing the bolt catch to jump up and engage?
How many clicks from full "+" is your sweet spot now?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, is it possible that the impact from the over gas condition was causing the bolt catch to jump up and engage?
How many clicks from full "+" is your sweet spot now?
The new ambi-mag release has a slightly different internal shape then the original mag-release. I guess that, in combination with it being over-gassed, caused the jumping of the bolt catch with PMAGs. There was someone else on the forum that had a similar problem with the standard RDB. He was able to fix it by turning the gas down. I'm not sure how far from "+" I am. I just lowered it two clicks from where it was until it cycled without any problems. I hadn't even touched the gas settings prior to that. I put a few more mags through it on the 4th, and it's still working fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.