Unable to remove the Assembly Pin

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by stxflyer, Sep 30, 2009.

1. stxflyer

stxflyer New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I just bought  new P-3AT and decided to clean it before taking it to the range.  I found that I couldn't remove the assembly pin.  Part of the head of the pin was inside the frame causing it to be jammed.  I am new to both the Kel-Tec and the Owner's Group which I explored extensively.  Without the knowledge I gained from the site, I doubt that I would have made the purchase.    

It would appear that I need to send it back to Kel-Tec unless anyone has a better idea.

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Can you post pictures?

3. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Have you tried to remove it or just looked at it? I know on mine the frame has a lil lip around the assembly pin but it will still come out. Watch this video on how to take it apart. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU2eDPBes[/ame] If you still can't take it out them I would say send it off to Kel-Tec.

4. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It would be amazing for part of the pin to be jammed into the frame. Be sure that you are pushing the slide back about 1/4" to take the pressure off the pin while prying out pin. Please post picture if that don't work.

Craig

5. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    The lip will "give" and allow it to come through. If there's a little flashing around the circular cut-out you might remove it carefully with an X-acto but be careful not to cut too much into the acual frame. I use a thin screwdriver with a thin piece of cardboard under to keep from marring the bluing.

6. stxflyer

stxflyer New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks for the video link and the feedback. I got it out by pulling the slide all the way back and applying a bit of pressure. I will next do just a little micro-trimming at the tips of the cutout. You saved this P-3AT from having to make a round trip to Florida.

7. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I am glad you got it! I would have been shocked if it was actually jammed too far in the frame. You should only have to pull the slide back only a tiny bit to release the pressure on the pin.

Happy shooting!
    Craig

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Be sure to push down on the grip in front of the assembly pin while prying it out to ensure you don't dislodge the assembly pin spring.

9. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Glad to see you got it. Like I said when I first got mine it looked like the frame was going to make it impossible to take the pin out. Thankfully a few of my buddies have P3ATs or else I would have sent mine back.

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1

It can be a real pain if that spring comes out of place, you'll have to remove the grip from the frame to fix it.

CJ

11. When all else fails read the directions. ;)