Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 224lps, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever used an ultrasonic cleaner on a P3AT? A friend suggested getting a small unit for under $30.00 and just cleaning with purified water, then re-lubing the gun. He claims it takes no time at all. And would get all dirt off. Says to just field strip it. Put into tank. Run for a few minutes. Dry off. Lube and put back together. Sounds easy… Any thoughts…

2. Dan-O

Dan-O Active Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    I personally would not want to, but that is up to you. I would rather use gasoline or some other solvent instead of water. Just seems to me that water may not be the best choice as it could lead to rusting issues. Just my two cents.

3. gasoline !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KA-BOOM!!!!!!

Need I say more?

I know that lots of electronic parts get a finail cleaning in pure water. Rust should not be an issue if dried and re-lubed.

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    So you are going to completely disassemble every part of the pistol and make sure it is all dry everytime you clean it? This would be de rigeur if you had DROPPED the pistol into water.

Spray cleaner would be much less time consuming and you could probably buy a lifetime supply for $30.

Packer.

5.   So you are going to completely disassemble every part of the pistol and make sure it is all dry everytime you clean it? This would be de rigeur if you had DROPPED the pistol into water.

Spray cleaner would be much less time consuming and you could probably buy a lifetime supply for $30.

Packer.
    [/quote]

It sounds to me like an easy way to clean the barrel.

I just thought I would throw this out as food for thought.

We have folks that talk about using electrice trooth brushes for cleaning.

How much need is there for "brushing" the gun clean, over spray cleaners every 50 to 100 rounds???

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    For just the barrel? Why not? It should work great. Not the slide though, unless you intend to dismantle it afterwards to dry everything.

Packer.

7. Dan334

Dan334 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Ultrasonic cleaning for weapons actually does a good job...provided, both a proper cleaner and solution are used.  Many larger LE agencies used these to speed-clean large volumes of weapons after training sessions, etc.  The solutions used for this are pretty much weapon-specific such as L&R Ultrasonics provides:

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/weapons/solutions.html

8. waldemar

waldemar New Member

Dec 20, 2012
    To revive an old thread: I've seen positive feedback on using mineral spirits as the fluid in an ultrasonic cleaner. I think I'd try it first well away from flammable materials!

9. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    our range guy uses simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner

does well on glocks and the new smith and wessons

10. dracer

dracer Well-Known Member

I use one on all my pistols with simple green seems to work ok