Two New P-3AT's with the same issue

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Savior_Sound, May 2, 2010.

1. Savior_Sound

Savior_Sound New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I got my wife and I each a new Kel-Tec P-3AT a couple of weeks ago for EDC concealed carry. Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures had a sale - $249 with a 50 round box of ammo. Not bad since a box of ammo is going for over $30 now-a-days. Ordered Crimson Trace LG-430 Lasers and we were all set. Went to the range Saturday and began to shoot and adjust the lasers on each. Just as soon as I got both pistols sighted in and we were starting to enjoy shooting them, about 50-75 rounds into it, each began to double feed at least once on every magazine. Is this the break-in malfunctioning I heard about and will go away or is it something more serious? Before even going to the range I broke down both guns and cleaned and lubed them. These are not our first handguns. We were not limp-wristing or anything. All of the ammo was Winchester (white box) 92 gr FMJ brass case ammo. Should I be concearned or just shoot through it and worry about it only if it doesn't go away after 250 rounds or so? As it stands they each have about 100 rounds through them.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I would clean, relube and shoot some more.  Some folks clean these little guns every 50 rounds although that is probably a slight overkill.  Also, try some different rounds if the problem persists.

3. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Wow, I thought I got gouged by a-hole resellers at $45 per 100 rd WWB value pack of .380.  :eek:

As for the failures to extract causing double feeds, check your extractor tension...the leaf spring and hex bolt on the right side of the slide...make sure it's not loose.  And the chamber for any burrs or rough spots.  Smooth out as necessary.  Something is causing the extractor to slip over the rim of the fired case and leaving it in the chamber and/or the chamber is rough enough the case is getting stuck.  Check your fired brass next time (if you didn't save any) for areas on the rim where it looks like the extractor may have ripped through due to the case sticking in the chamber after it expands from firing.

I agree that cleaning it every 50 rounds is a bit excessive, but a couple of drops of oil on the rails can't hurt during an extended range session.  It may take some effort, but you'll get it sorted out eventually.

4. Savior_Sound

Savior_Sound New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I don't mind if it will shoot 50 rounds jamb-free after every cleaning. I did not buy it to shoot much at the range. I bought it for an EDC self defense pistol. In which case, as long as I can count on two magazines going through without a hitch, I'm good! I will check the extractor leaf spring tension and the chamber as suggested. Thanks very much for the advice. I will probably shoot another 100 rounds in each this weekend and see how it goes.

5. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Another thing you can do, which I have done myself since I also have two P3ATs, is try running different components on different frames.  Try swapping entire uppers, barrels, etc.  I did that and ended up with a VERY reliable one.  For some reason, one of the barrels worked a lot better in the other slide.  I sent the "bad" P3AT back to Kel-Tec and they ended up replacing the entire gun with my old serial number on the new one.  It's a lot better than the one I sent in, but it's definitely not "carry reliable".  Wish I could get it running as reliably as my other one.  :-/

6. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I had the exact same issue with a P3AT that I bought last year.  It was failing to extract and it would try to feed the next round into the rear of the one in the chamber causing a nice jam.  I sent it in to be addressed, got it back, and it did the exact same thing again.

I then took a permanent black marker and colored the entire barrel after cleaning it all up.  I shot and cleared the jam, shot and cleared the jam.  I continued this until I could see evidence of what was going on.  On my particular gun, the barrel was dropping into the slide very early in the cycle.  There was no way for me to get it to do it by slowly racking the slide, but shooting made it apparent.  The corner of the barrel was dropping and hitting the extractor, pushing it out away from the rim of the empty case, and failing to remove the round from the chamber.

To fix it, I disassembled it and cleaned it all back up.  I took a hand file to the corner and removed about 1/32" of material, just rounding the following corner off.  Check yours out and see if that's what's happening.  I busted out my Paint skills to illustrate below.  Maybe this will be helpful, maybe not....it's worth a look though!

[​IMG]

7. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    If the gun won't extract the fired round from the chamber, but the slide goes back shut, and you can rack it to remove the round, you may have the trouble that I had above. My gun would fire, then dry fire. I'd rack the slide and fire, then dry fire....I could load a magazine up, rack hundreds of rounds through it by hand with no troubles, but firing it cause the barrel to hit the extractor and knock it off the rim....good luck!

8. Savior_Sound

Savior_Sound New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I will check it out.

Thanks

9. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Hopefully it's something that easy. Look for a shiny mark on the corner of the barrel in that area, or a minor shiny mark on the top of the extractor. Let us know what you find out!

10. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    How were you dry firing it if you were experiencing double feeds? You cannot dry fire it with a live round jammed up against the back of a fired case still in the chamber. Disconnected trigger pull, yes, but definitely not "dry fire".

11. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Sorry, I read back through that and wasn't clear....before I sent the gun in for the first time, I was experiencing a failure to eject where the case was not moving from the chamber at all. The next round was getting jammed into the rear of it. This was all jammed up and like you say, no dry fire. When I got it back from repair, I still had failures to eject, but the extractor was hanging onto the case long enough to get pulled half from the chamber (not allowing the next round to get started at all), then with slide cycle from recoil, it would refeed the empty back in with live round in top of magazine. This would cause a dry fire on the second try.

Like I said, filing the corner of the barrel was all mine needed....

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    How about a nice fluff and buff for 'em both. I did this prior to shooting my new P3AT and it has never...I repeat never had any failures of any kind.