Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having experienced FTE problems with my new PF-9 I ordered an extractor kit (extractor, spring, screw) from Kel Tec. When the kit arrived I noticed the lip on the new extractor has an approximate 22% slant. The lip on the extractor that came with the gun has no slant whatsoever. Is Kel Tec now making two different types of PF-9 extractors?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I checked all the extractors I have on hand (7 going back as far as 4 years) and see no difference in the shape/angles of the claw. All are beveled. Not sure why your original extractor would lack the proper bevels.

Jim R

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I went to take some pictures I found the batteries in my camera are dead. So, the best I can do for now is to say, when installed, the top of the new extractor lip measures approximately 4/32 and the bottom of the lip measures 6/32. The old extractor measures the same both top and bottom.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When I went to take some pictures I found the batteries in my camera are dead. So, the best I can do for now is to say, when installed, the top of the new extractor lip measures approximately 4/32 and the bottom of the lip measures 6/32. The old extractor measures the same both top and bottom.
1/8" on top and 3/16" on bottom is a whole 1/16" of difference. That sounds like a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emailed Kel Tec and asked if the replacement extractor they sent me is flawed and somehow slipped past quality control or if it is a new design. Will post their reply when I receive it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a few FTE problems . Then I saw a post here about filing down the extractor to give it a better bite. I took mine down a few thousands (4-5)
and it seemed to help. The gun eats Federal Champion red box and my carry load Hornady XTP 124Gr bit still has FTE's on every magazine when I shoot PMC or WWB. I dislike a pistol that won't shoot any ammo. I called Kel Tec and they sent me a new extractor, spring and screw without questions and in less than a week (great service). Last night I pulled the old extractor out. The new one is shaped exactly the same but I put a caliper on both of them and the new one is 3 thousands thinner than the old one that I had filed on. Maybe this is just manufacturing tolerance or maybe KT has figured out the FTE problem. I installed the new extractor with one spring. I'll post results as soon as I can shoot it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Emailed Kel Tec and asked if the replacement extractor they sent me is flawed and somehow slipped past quality control or if it is a new design. Will post their reply when I receive it.
This is the email they sent me:

According to our Engineering Department, it is correct. There have not been any changes to this part in quite some time. Hope this helps!

Went to the range today and spoke to a retired gun shop owner. Said customer service may have sent me an extractor for a P32. Went home and checked. Sure enough the extractor cut at an angle matched perfectly with the one in my P-32. Called the factory, explained the problem and was told they would mail me a PF-9 extractor kit, today. If I end-up getting the correct kit I will be pleased. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a very senior citizen and I'm not aging gracefully. I find myself making more mistakes now than I did when I was in my teens.

My most recent mistake was starting this thread, asking if there were two different types of extractors for the PF-9. Then I made matters worse by having the good folks at Kel Tec send me a second replacement extractor because the first one they sent me was slanted. During the few days it took for the second extractor to arrive I had cataract surgery. When the second extractor arrived it was also slanted, so I doubled checked the extractor that came with the PF-9 and sure enough it was SLANTED. The first time I checked I could have sworn it was not slanted.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time and promise in the future to double check everything before I open my mouth and stick my foot in it - again.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Been There!!! :)
No apologies necessary. Age (and cataracts) Happens!!
I spent several Weeks with eye drops trying to get the crud out of my eyes (and could have sworn it was just crud), only to find out at my Lasik Screening, that I had Cataracts starting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts