turn around time

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by apxpred, Feb 16, 2008.

1. apxpred

apxpred New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Bought a new P3AT mid December, it came w/ a rusted chamber & bore. My FFL sent it back it's been 2 months now. Getting sick of waiting, what's the std. wait time for these guys ? Thanks

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    WELCOME!  [​IMG] Gotta name to go with that ID?

4-6 weeks is standard for a repair.  New gun bad issue replacements have been known to happen within days.  Standard quoted turn around time is 6-8 weeks.

We have seen time and time again that FFLs SAY they are sending things back and then don't.  Frankly if its been two months (even with KTs holiday down time and SHOT show) I'd be asking for shipping confirmation from your FFL and although it might not be fair, I'd be assuming something is hokey with your FFL.

Just out of curiosity, why would you have bought that?  A rusted chamber and bore would have been pretty obvious upon inspection I would have thought?  

-Scott

3. apxpred

apxpred New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    4-6 weeks is standard for a repair.  New gun bad issue replacements have been known to happen within days.  Standard quoted turn around time is 6-8 weeks.

We have seen time and time again that FFLs SAY they are sending things back and then don't.  Frankly if its been two months (even with KTs holiday down time and SHOT show) I'd be asking for shipping confirmation from your FFL and although it might not be fair, I'd be assuming something is hokey with your FFL.

Just out of curiosity, why would you have bought that?  A rusted chamber and bore would have been pretty obvious upon inspection I would have thought?  

-Scott
    [/quote]

When I bought it I held the chamber open & looked inside & down the barrel, it had a thick coating of oil/grease. I have read several times that KT ships them dirty as heck & even containing remnants from  the machining process, one couldn't see the actual condition of the chamber & such & this was pretty much what I expected. I didn't find the pitting until I got some Kroil down her. FFL is a personal friend no worries there. Thanks for the input.

Paul

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    OK, that makes sense. You have easily waited long enough that it's worth a phone call to momma. But you have to be able to tell them the serial number and exactly what day it arrived if you want any chance of them finding it to give you anything more than a stock "it'll be a couple more weeks."

ONE of their shortcomings is their paperwork and tracking capabilities. It is in part due to Florida law and in part due to a lack of tech on their end. (The second being my opinion only). They do awesome service, they just are very lacking in being able to tell you about it or update you about it. I guess that is better than it being reversed.

-Scott

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Friend or not, I'd check with the FFL and find out when he actually shipped it.  You are at about double the average turn around time.  KT should be able to tell you when they recieved it.  :-/

6. apxpred

apxpred New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks all, I'm on it.

TxCajun: Would you be the same prepping for the AWS CWI ?

Paul

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nope, but I can cut and weld up a mean cheapo tank blind for duck hunting out of two 55 gallon drums. ;D

8. apxpred

apxpred New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    So it finally came in a few days ago, to be honest I have grown quite disappointed over the course of the wait & had entertained thoughts about just dumping it as soon as possible & go w/ an airweight 38. However I had bought a box of American eagle & a box of Rem. 102gr. GS. & firgured what the heck so I ran down the street & and loaded up. Folks I'm glad I did, she's a keeper.

9. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Makes me wonder if your pistol was one of those made some time ago and not sold until recently.  You see those from time to time - maybe a serial number a year or more old but still "brand new", i.e. unsold.  Makes me wonder what kind of environment yours was stored in to have rust in the barrel.

10. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I just got off the phone with Kel-Tec customer service and they say they are behind right now and that it's taking about 4-6 weeks on average after the guns arrives to return it.

11. customizedcreation

customizedcreation New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    That amazes me as I just refinished a few kel tec barrels ( polishing them ) and wasnt too impressed with the machine marks and quality of material used in it. Now I am comparing these to Sig , Glock, MP and XD barrels. I know the price tag on these is almost double over Kel Tec stuff. I think I am going to do a little research on the material they do. Maybe make a call to them and see what the story is. I had porosity in a few of the barrels I ve done so far ( air pockets in the metal ).

Glad you got your 3at back. I was looking at getting one of these just throw under the seat of my truck. But I got a Sig 232 in stainless instead. I might still get one someday. They are so small !!!

Good Luck with it

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.html

13. apxpred

apxpred New Member

Feb 16, 2008