Turkey season

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mkamer, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    So is anyone as excited as me about turkey season being right around the corner? We have the KY youth weekend coming April 2-3 and the regular season opens April 16. Can't wait to get out in the woods. The sounds of turkey calls have already been echoing thru our house as Brennan and I tune them in. :cool:

2. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Good luck guys ,we'll expect a report back on your hunt  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

3. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    We were drawn for the 2nd Chuck Swan WMA hunt, but with the bad eyeball thing, I am hosed. Cant shoot a shotgun until after the season.

B.

4. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Can you hunt them with a bow there?

5. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Yeah, I just got my first compound bow over the winter so I'm pretty excited to try it out on some gobblers this spring. I hope my shotgun doesn't get jealous. :)

6. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

May 6, 2008
    I have never done spring turkey hunting. I killed a turkey during deer season in VA years ago (fall turkey season there); shot him through the neck with my .35 Remington. I have a friend that said he'll take me this spring if I can find the time. Problem is, spring turkey season here comes at one of the busiest times for me at work so it's hard to fit it in.

7. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Deuce - if you can sneak away from work to get in some turkey hunting do it. The gobble of the toms in the early mornings of spring will get your heart pumping. It's really exciting hunting.

8. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

May 6, 2008
    That's what my friend tells me.  He says once you go it'll make you lay out of work.

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Last year's hatch here in KY was one of the best we've had in a while. Despite the nasty weather early on many of the poults survived and the hunting this year looks very promising.

During my last scouting adventure I noticed that they were still gaggled up back in the woods but the bugs and green grass will have them out in the fields, if they aren't already.

Good luck guys! If my schedule cooperates I'll be out on opening day.

10. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    not thinking we'll going out this spring... still got some in the freezer from last year.

but a bunch of 14 was hanging out in the yard after the rain/hail earlier this evening. BIG old tom bird in the bunch.

11. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    How was the hunting guys?

I just noticed opening day also falls on my drill weekend :( They pulled this stunt during deer season too. When I re-up there's going to be a clause in my contract that says I don't have to drill if said weekend coincides with opening day of ANY hunting season. It just ain't right!

12. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    While we didn't get a big tom over the weekend, we did have a great time.  Heard some gobbles early Saturday morning but never saw them.  Later in the morning we heard big gobbles to our left and spotted a bachelor group of three toms in the woods.  We were in a ground blind with decoys set in the field.  We thought about exiting the blind and going after the toms but they began strutting in the woods and I knew they would have seen us if we tried to get out.  So we did some calling but they never did come our way.  They wandered behind us and disappeared over a ridge.  We went their way but never saw or heard from them again.  Didn't have a bit of action Sunday with the high wind.  But hey, it's okay, Brennan and I spent alot of time together with friends and enjoyed every minute of it.

We won't be making it out on opening weekend either.  We'll be in Florida for spring break.  But we already have plans to head back to the farm over the second weekend which happens to be Easter.  B's got that Friday off so it will give us an extra day to hunt.

torrent - I've sent a note to the DOD to check with you and the KY hunting schedule before scheduling drill weekends for 2012 and beyond.  We'll see if that helps.  ;)

13. mikeyp44

mikeyp44 New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    We went this morning in N.E. Wyoming. Rained all day. Tried to take one with a bow and never connected. It is amazing how fast turkeys dissapear! I think we should be able to fly over the canyon too! But with good friends and a day off work you cant go wrong with a trip to the turkey hills.

14. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I had a blast this year!!! The turkeys were next door like always and i was hunting a bermuda pasture with NO COVER!!! Got to hear and see them every trip, I think maybe if it had not been for the big watershead with the giant bass that kept calling to me all morning i might have waited them out.

Did pull in a 7lb bass out of it this year!!! Yep i carried a shotgun and a fishing pole in every morning.

15. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    A shotgun and a fishing pole - sounds like a great day. Congrats on the big bass!

We didn't see any turkeys on our second weekend. Weather has been tough around here. Lots of rain and high winds during most of the season. Looking forward to next season already!

16. shottingcouple

shottingcouple New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I know I am late on this but I have just been to busy to keep up with forums this year. I went to KS to hunt with a friend that lives there and had a great time and some good luck.
    [​IMG]
    23 pounds 10 3/4 beard 1 inch spurs.

17. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    That is a a nice boss gobbler !

what did you call him in with ?

B.

18. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas