Tula Ammo in PF9

Discussion in 'PF-9' started by Riley171, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Riley171

Riley171 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hey guys, I just sold my Taurus TCP the other day and bought a new PF9. I am going to the range in two days to "break in" my pistol. My plan was shooting 100 rounds of Tula 9mm 115g (steel) ammo through it, then 100 rounds of Blazer brass through it. Anyways, I was wondering if the steel ammo is really that bad through the PF9. I know it probably won't feed the steel properly, but other than being really dirty, will steel ammo actually damage the gun at all? Once I am through the 200 round break in period I plan on keeping Hornady Critical Defense in it for daily carry.

RJR573 likes this.
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The PF9 is pretty much a lightweight affair. I think steel ammo may, if nothing else, put some stress on the extractor, and not likely run well. Especially for break-in, after lubing the gun, I'd run some decent quality brass-cased fmj ammo thru it. Personally, I do not shoot steel thru my Kel-tecs, or even aluminum, for that matter. If you ask the KT techs, they'll advise the same.

Riley171 likes this.

3. Riley171

Riley171 Member

Nov 27, 2017

Ok, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

4. MarkCO

MarkCO Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Colorado
    I would not run steel cased ammo through mine.

5. huffy49

huffy49 Active Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Upper Darby, PA
    I tried TULA steel-cased ammo. It cycled OK, and nearly every round detonated by the second strike. One box was enough for me.

6. Riley171

Riley171 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Ok, thanks for the input guys, you helped me make up my mind.

7. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Jan 17, 2011
    My advice in general is to skip steel cased Ammo entirely. Blazers are fine, but Non Russian guns really were designed for Brass.

8. RJR573

RJR573 Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    Im really surprised by you people on here being afraid of steel case ammunition....
    I have shot mostly all steel case in my PF9 and many other pistols and rifles for the last 12 years with no issues ever....
    The cases are soft steel and appear no harder than brass or aluminum... I have tested the hardness with a file and also scraping with a knife on all three materials...
    Gun parts are hardened steel so You don't have to worry about wearing them out...

9. steve76

steve76 Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Bullhead City, AZ.
    Many year ago, I took a 4 day handgun course at Frontsite in NV. were we fired 600 rds. in those 4 days. First day used steel case Wolf ammo in Glock g23, lot's repeated range fire where firearm barrel got very hot and had one round of Wolf actually weld itself to breach and would not eject out. Had their amorer remove by lot's of force welded case. Bought their brass case ammo and used after that and had no issues after at all. Since then, sold all my 9mm steel case and will not use again. Have 2 son inlaws, of which one is CHP the other Medocino County Sheriff and all they use is nickel plated 40 cal. So nickel plated is what I will always use in my daily carry from now on. At range, brass case. IMO, for everyday personal defense carry, best to use what law enforcement uses which they have tested most tried and true.

10. MarkCO

MarkCO Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Colorado
    It is not being afraid, it is knowledge and wisdom. Hardness has NOTHING at all to do with it. It is lubricity, rebound and sealing of the case that matters. Lots of people with gas cutting around their firing pins and on breech faces due to steel cased ammo. When you understand why, the reasoning makes great sense. When your assumptions are inaccurate, so too will be your justifications.

11. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Russian Migs? Not bad. Russian Vodka? Always works. Russian Women? Cute, not great at Tennis. Russian Steel Ammo? PASS.....:cool:

MarkCO likes this.
  12. RJR573

RJR573 Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    I find that interesting,,, I've shot many thousands of rounds of Wolf and Tula over the last 12 years in most every pistol and rifle I own without any issues either in function or any damage to the firearm... I'm sure the savings on the ammo has paid for several of my firearms purchased... Yes it may be dirtier and not as accurate but I could care less as I clean every gun shortly after shooting it no matter how many rounds were put through it and I'm only shooting paper and steel..

13. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    There is the economic factor...
    Is it nasty stuff? You bet!
    Do you need to scrub that nasty chamber after using it? You bet! (or it's FTE 4 U)
    Does it run perfect? Not hardly.
    Is it suitable for home-defense? Not at all.
    Is it perfect for getting together with friends and blasting lots of targets? Absolutely.
    Do I shoot steel-case ammo? Lots of it.

On a personal note, I have found steel to be as accurate and more consistent than cheap brass.
    (Before everybody pounces, by cheap brass, I mean the cheapest brass).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    RJR573 likes this.
  14. RJR573

RJR573 Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Fair Grove, Missouri
    Finally someone with some sense...
    I actually don't find it to be all that dirty or not enough so to make me worry about it.... Like I said earlier I clean my guns no matter if I shoot 10 Rounds or 500 so they never get a chance to get very dirty anyway...
    As for accuracy I really don't see any difference between steel and brass in pistol ammo,, where I do notice it is with the .223,, 5.45x39,, 7.62x39,, ,, and .308

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 4:28 PM