Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Target shooting with my P11 yesterday, which has been performing flawlessly. After 50 or so rounds, I emptied a magazine and the slide failed to come back to open the pistol.

I went inside to reload, and a small, "L" shaped blued part fell out when I removed the mag. Upon inspection, it appears to have sheared off on one end, but I could find nothing obvious on field stripping. Put it back together, loaded, and tried it out.

After 100 rounds in this condition, no FTF/FTE, and the only symptom is that the gun will not automatically open after the last bullet.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I would not rule out that the piece was originally straight and was bent 90 degrees by the action.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That piece sticks down from the slide stop into the mag well. When the mag is empty the follower pushes on that piece to lock the slide back. I would imagine if you contact Kel-Tec and let them know that little piece broke off your slide stop, they will send you a whole brand new shiny slide stop. If you prefer not to install yourself I am sure Kel-Tec would be happy to do it for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, this forum is a great resource. Thanks for the fast help, 2. I'll give KT a call and give it a shot myself.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
That piece sticks down from the slide stop into the mag well. When the mag is empty the follower pushes on that piece to lock the slide back. I would imagine if you contact Kel-Tec and let them know that little piece broke off your slide stop, they will send you a whole brand new shiny slide stop. If you prefer not to install yourself I am sure Kel-Tec would be happy to do it for you.
I concur, and I have nothing useful to add but for a few points:

• My P-40 converted P-11 has broken that part off the slide stop twice, about once every five years. Kel-Tec service has been very helpful in supplying the part for free. Following advice given me, I always direct my call to "service," instead of to "parts," in order to get the free replacement. I have not had a problem replacing it myself.

• When you pull the frame out of the grip, or subsequently remove the old, broken slide stop and its spring, I recommend doing it inside a large, clear plastic bag, because the slide stop spring and the trigger bar spring are both likely to jump loose. Press the trigger bar into the frame to hold it in place, if you are not doing further disassembly. This is a great time for a more detailed cleaning, but remember (photograph?) how the parts go back together.

• If you shoot a lot, it may be time to replace the recoil springs. Kel-Tec service has added these to my broken parts replacement orders for no charge in the past.

If you shoot your P11 enough for this to happen, you may also want to be aware that the ejector tip sometimes breaks off, too. For me, it was hard to notice, because the pistol functioned close to normally after that.

Regards,
Paul
Proud father of a 3 year (so far) Navy man.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice, Paul, and thank you!

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine had the same issue (see my post under the "common problems").
Called KT and 3 days later got another stop in the mail.
Took no time to replace it, just be careful with the spring under the trigger bar on the opposite side of the stop. When I first put it together it was not in the right position and the trigger did not work properly.
After checking here I spotted a pic and figure out the little spring was not in the right position.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Looks/sounds almost exactly like what happened when my slide stop broke.

Mine had a LOT more than 50 rounds through it when mine broke, but it was cheap n' easy to replace, and Kel-Tec shipped the parts out pretty fast (and FREE SHIPPING!). I just replaced a few other frequent wear n' tear parts while I was at it to avoid any potential near-future problems, and it took me less than 15 minutes to install the whole lot (slide stop and spring, recoil spring/guide rod, and assembly pin).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, guys. Spoke to KT today and they're sending the parts right out.

Cheers,
Mutha Bob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts