Trouble? with my P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tommyray, Nov 1, 2008.

1. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    When pulling the trigger on both my P3 and PF-9 when uncocked, there has always been that short distance at the back where the resistance increases. Today I noticed that that resistance had disapeared on my P3. I dry fired about 10 times using snap caps, and it seems to fire properly. My question is: What would cause that, and would it interfere with proper firing or ejection of the fired round. I can't get to the range till next week, and am hesitant to depend on this gun as a primary carry until I know for sure. Any Ideas?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

strange :-?

mine NEVER had an increased trigger force at the end of pull (with the hammer not reset)

I did notice that the trigger hits the gap it protrudes through in the frame at the same time the mid trigger hits the back inside guard.  If I pull at the very tip of the trigger, I can flex the trigger a bit

here is what I measured trigger pull

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    My P3at and P11 both have hard trigger pulls right before the hammer releases. That is natural and it doesn't mean you have a problem. Now, if you start getting light strikes then that this something different. Another reason the trigger got lighter all of a sudden could be that there was some friction somewhere due to the newness of the gun and that has went away now as the gun is now broken in. Unless it stops going bang every time you pull the trigger, don't sweat it.

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

Sell it.

If you feel you don't have confidence in it for any reason sell it, or at least don't use it for anything but the range.

As far as the extra resistance goes the trigger has travel before it engages and if that's what you're talking about it's normal.

5. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I love the gun! Won't sell it. I'm only hesitant because the trigger pull when not cocked changed noticably from what it was, and If that means it might not operate properly, I don't want to carry it until it's fixed. I'll probably depend on the PF-9 this week, until I can get to the range next Sat. Just thought someone else might have experienced this, and could tell me what caused it.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm confused so maybe others are too about your wording. You can never pull the trigger when it is already cocked. Pulling the trigger cocks the weapon. When the hammer falls it is uncocked until you pull the trigger again.

-Scott

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    do you mean pulling the triger AFTER you have "fired" on a snap cap with out cycling the slide?

8. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    do you mean pulling the triger AFTER you have "fired" on a snap cap with out cycling the slide?[/quote]

YES....Sorry for the confusion

9. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Have you shot either of them? When I buy a new gun I don't carry it untill I've shot around 200 rounds of fmj and 50 rounds of my carry ammo. If it dosen't have any issues and I feel good about the weapon then I will carry it. I've had a new PF-9 for a few weeks but haven't shot it yet so it stays at home. Don't worry about the way the trigger feels after the hammer has dropped because the weapon won't function that way with live ammo. Also when your at the range practice "malfunction drills" using your snap caps so you can deal with any problems.

JMHO [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
    CJ

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    YES....Sorry for the confusion[/quote]

Sounds like you had the problem originally and now it is fixed :-/

11. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    do you mean pulling the triger AFTER you have "fired" on a snap cap with out cycling the slide?[/quote]

YES....Sorry for the confusion[/quote]

On both the PF9 and P3AT also the P32
    After the trigger is pulled, IF you don't touch the slide at all, the trigger should be slack ( little to no resistance and the hammer doesn't move at all). This happens because the hammer is not being reset to sit on the hammer block. With the hammer all the way forward the transfer bar cannot engage the hammer. To reset the hammer onto the hammer block the slide must be pulled to the rear apx 1/4 inch. The above applies to the original hammer block. I don't have any guns with the new hammer block so I don't know if it works the same way or not.

The P11 doesn't have a hammer block so the trigger can be pulled repeatedly with normal trigger pull, and the hammer will function as advertised.

A good indication of the hammer working correctly it to watch it as you pull the trigger. It should release at the same point each time.

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have shot them both, the P3 more as I have owned it longer. I mentioned going to the range to try it out, because since the action feels different in the slack trigger pull, I wondered if something was wrong that would cause it to malfunction when firing. Guess I'll know next Sat.