Trouble reassembling

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jps2194, Dec 29, 2007.

1. jps2194

jps2194 New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I disassembled and cleaned my new P3AT after firing 50 rounds through it - I love this gun. However, I am having trouble reassembling. I've read the manual, watched videos on You Tube, searched this site and nothing has helped.

I've got the barrel in, the springs in and when I put the slide on, it only goes back so far before stopping. I cannot slide the barrel back far enough to line up the holes to put in the pin. I've tried everything and I'm at my witts end.

Has anyone else had this problem and can someone help me. According to all of my research, it should just slide back with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

:-[

2. amm3

amm3 New Member

Sep 29, 2007
    I had a similar problem with my p32. There was a small black piece protruding on the left side of the frame that stopped the slide. How I fixed it and what that piece was I don't remember, but I either put in the mag, or removed it, or pulled the trigger to make that piece drop to where it would have been had I done everything correctly. The trigger sort of stands out. Hope this shot in the dark answer helps. Good Luck

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would put money that you pulled the trigger either before orwhile disassebled.

The slide can not go back on if you did :eek:

Simple fix though.  thumb the hammer back and then it should go ;)

If that won't it, get back and I'll think some more

Oh welcome to KTOG

4. jps2194

jps2194 New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks - pulling back the hammer did it. I pulled the hammer back once when trying to fix it, but thought since the hammer came back easy it shouldn't stop the slide, so I didn't hold the hammer back with my thumb. DUH.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, my wife qualifed for her carry permit with the gun yesterday. She's a novice shooter, but did fantastic with our new P3AT.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Next time you have slide off.
    Look at the difference in the hammer angle if it is pulled back verses after pulling trigger.
    (Once the hammer is pulled back, it will stay back till the trigger is pulled)

CAUTION.  with slide off, use thumb to SLOWLY let the hammer go foward.  do not just pull trigger and let it slam against frame.

the hammer goes foward more with out the slide and the top of the hammer goes past level.  now when you try to push the slide on with a dropped hammer, there is not enough clearance in the slide for the hammer to go back through level and gets locked.

Sorry I didn't get to respond before you left last night.  after posting, give things a couple hours for some one to get back

Again welcome to KTOG

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
      Yep, had the same "reassembling" problem after my first field strip. Some how was able to figure it out myself but not after a number of very frustrating minutes.

Next goof happened when I was taking the frame off and removed three instead of just two pins.  :-/ Getting the action working again after that goof took maybe 30 minutes or so.

All's well that ends well ...  :)

Take care ...

7. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Yes, I think the hammer gets caught under the back of the fireing pin, when puting the slide back on without pulling the hammer back. :)