Trigger won't reset

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Chris_L., Aug 11, 2008.

1. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

I've had my P3AT for about a year and have been lurking in this site ever since. I've learned a lot and appreciate the information. Until today I've had no significant issues, so I've had no reason to post. I've done the fluff and buff and I usually keep it cleaned and lubed. I hadn't shot it, or even carried it for a couple of months. I took it to the range today, and on the second shot it quit working. The trigger pulls with no resistance and the hammer does not move at all. I would appreciate any assistance you guys can offer.

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    So the hammer is resting on the hammer block ("half-cocked") and still nothing happens? Check if the hammer spring is broken. If not, something is amiss in the trigger linkage assembly, which will take a detail strip to inspect.

3. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

The hammer spring does not appear to be broken.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    does the trigger spring force return if you rack the slide.

If not remove the slide and and see if the trigger bar cam is free to come up if you press it in

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
  7. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

My trigger pin looks like the bottom picture in the link Bobo posted. It may be out slightly farther. It doesn't seem loose.

8. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I think some pins must be longer than others because I bought mine NIB and it has always stuck out a bit. I can't push it in anymore. I tried because of those pictures. It has never moved and the gun works fine like it is.

9. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    The trigger pin on my 2nd Gen P3-AT goes thorough two holes in the widget that holds the trigger and bellcranks the long trigger bar.  It's a little tricky.

Part #254 is hollow, and has two small holes in it for the pin.  The trigger itself has a hole for the pin.  Spring 256 goes in the big hole first, before you put in the little trigger pin.

Regards,

10. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

I disassembled it this morning for the first time and cleaned it good. I'm no gunsmith and wouldn't have even attempted it without some of the links here. My expertise usually ends at field stripping guns. I didn't notice anything unusual. I reassembled it and lubed it. I took it to the range and fired fifty rounds without incident. Thanks for your assistance. I'm still not sure what to make of this gun. I've been an LEO for 17 years and have had FTE's and FTF's with other guns. In our training we intentionally create different jams to practice clearing the gun. Atleast with those problems it is possible to take cover, clear the gun and then continue the battle. I've never had a gun fail like the P3AT did yesterday requiring disassembly for repair. I guess I'll have to shoot it more often to regain some trust in it.

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Chris - don't blame you. You need to figure out what the deal is.

Throwing this out there as a possibility. If you do not FULLY (like all the way to the front of the trigger guard) let the trigger reset before pulling it again it will act similar to what you described. A racking (at least partial) of the slide is this necessary to reset the trigger. This is drastically different from the glocks you may be used to that can reset with just the slightest release of the trigger pressure. Is it possible this is what was going on? If so you should be able to re-create this issue pretty easily.

(Note - some of the newest BRAND newest P3ATs are coming with a modified Hammer Block system that changes the above slightly.)

Otherwise I can help but wonder if the trigger bar somehow slipped out of its position letting the trigger axis rotate without pulling the bar?

-Scott

12. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

Scott
    It is possible that I did not let the trigger go completely forward before pulling it again. My service weapon is a Glock and I did shoot it just prior to shooting the P3AT yesterday. The next time I go to the range I will try to recreate the problem. I would certainly like to know exactly what caused it so I can have complete confidence in the gun.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You must allow the trigger to fully reset (2 clicks) or it will drop off the hammer block and light strike.  Like Scott said, the newest ones (made in the last month or so) have an anti-short stroke hammer block.  However, that doesn't sound like your problem.  It does sound like a problem between the trigger and trigger bar, since there was no pressure and the hammer did not move.  Maybe a fluke?  Get some more rounds thorough it and hopefully it;s good to go.  If it happens again, avail yourself of the lifetime warranty.  Intermittent failures are harder to diagnose.  

14. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Chris, I had the exact same problem. See my own recent thread w pics about this same problem.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217473521
    In my case, I think the trigger bar was not coming back up all the way as it should after firing. I detailed stripped my P3 and I see it has a curved/bowed trigger bar. It worked normal after good cleaning but the curved trigger bar has me curious. I dont want it to happen again.

I have emailed KT again(a second time) asking if the curved trigger bar is normal or if it is a flaw, and describing my problem, and am awaiting a response and have been promised one in 24 hours via automatic response from KT ...

15. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I don't think a curved trigger bar is normal on any Kel-Tec.

16. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    As I mentioned before, I'm no expert, but it appears that the trigger bar needs to be flat at the trigger end in order to work reliably.  The post on the bellcrank barely sticks out at all, and the frame and grip are almost in contact there anyway.  If it's bowed out, it could lose connection with the bellcrank.

OTOH, I'm a little less sure about the hammer end, but....

With the trigger bar bowed outwards in the middle, when it's installed in the gun, the middle part may be pressed inwards by the grip (the plastic probably has enough natural lubricity to make this almost invisible) and move one or both ends off their contacts.

Just IMHO....

Regards,

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Not a good bet to email KT and expect a response. SOME get one pretty quick and most others never. KT is very very good about answering the phone and providing an answer immediately. 800-515-9983

-Scott

18. Zectron2348

Zectron2348 New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Not a good bet to email KT and expect a response.  SOME get one pretty quick and most others never.  KT is very very good about answering the phone and providing an answer immediately.  800-515-9983

-Scott

[/quote]

Why is that?

If they don't have the time, or desire to respond to emails, why don't they remove that option from their site?

I think they do a real dis-service by ignoring email questions. I myself have been waiting 2 weeks for a response to a simple question sent not once but twice.

This is just poor customer service in my opinion.

19. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    CLICK HERE for the link directly to the KT complaint department, if you would like to tell them what you have said here

20. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

When I disassembled mine the trigger bar was slightly bowed. I attempted to straighten it, but it still had a slight bow when I reassembled it. We'll see how it goes. I'll have to shoot it some more, if there are any other problems I'll definitely be contacting the company.