trigger slap?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JBIV, Dec 18, 2008.

1. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Was at the range today, and really noticed that my trigger finger is really taking a beating while shooting this thing.  everything seems fine but it got to the point where every round was sending a jolt of pain down my fingre.  I really can not see how it could be trigger slap but it sure feels like on of my old AK's before I fixed it.  Anyone else notice this or have had this problem?  
    thanks in advance

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Yes, it has been reported with the P3-AT. Also with the Curio & Relic eligible CZ-52.

3. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Is there a remedy for this? I know it's not a range gun but I do like to throw a few mags through just to waste money on ammo.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    band aide?

5. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    You mean the Band Aid that were a British and Irish charity supergroup, founded in 1984 by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure in order to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia? :eek: Ok, if you say so.

6. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    what he is meaning is these guns have quite the bite. put a band aide on your finger till you get your finger toughened up and you won't notice it so much. also a little buffing on the trigger to smooth it up a little won't hurt any. ;)

7. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I was just trying to be silly. i'll give it a try, thanks.

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    You can try...

Installing a trigger stop
    Shortening the trigger (take the sharp tip off)
    Sanding the inside of the trigger guard

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Hey, I thought it was funny. So many serious Sams around here these days.

10. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I thought it was great that anybody could come with all that British and Irish Charity Group comment.

I have had the same experience. Took a little sand paper and rounded the edge on the trigger as said earlier- worked for me.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    It's not really trigger slap, because the trigger linkage is completely disengaged from the operationg parts as soon as the trigger bar releases the hammer. There is no longer a direct mechanical connection like there is in the AK.

What happens to many folks is the front of the trigger guard beats the snot out of their finger during recoil. Try to consciously maintain backward trigger pressure to keep your finger from staying in one place while the gun goes backward somewhere else.

And I second the suggestion to shorten & round off the tip of the trigger a little.
    Also remove & smooth the sharp mold parting line in the center of the guard.

Again, during recoil, the fleshy part of your finger is getting pinched between the sharp end of the trigger & the sharp seam in the trigger guard.
    Gun goes up & back - finger trys to stay where it was.
    It ends up between the sharp tip of the trigger & the guard.

rcmodel

12. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    This worked for me--
    Shorten the trigger by 3mm.
    Thoroughly sand the trigger and inside and edges of the trigger guard.

13. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx
    Re: 4 bandaids

when i was proofing my p3at, i wore 4 bandaids on my left trigger finger.
    just could get my finger inside of the trigger guard.
    after around 450 rounds through its now just fired infrequently, so i do not use bandaid.
    if fired in anger you will not notice the tenderness on you finger till later.

14. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    this cured it for me. Use only the last 1/3 of your trigger finger pad when shooting. PLay around with your finger placement until you find the sweet spot (that sounded perverted :eek:).  The more of your finger you use, the more it gets slammed. Thats what worked for me

15. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    The trigger on my new P3AT has some sharp edges and definitely needs to be sanded to perfection. Well, at least to what I consider perfection.

16. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Another thing--

I firmly believe in FIRMLY holding the handgun for all SD practice.... it's what you are going to do in a pooh-fan situation anyway.  Some of the old timers suggested squeezing as hard as possible then letting up just a little ... 'convulsive grip' one called it.

If you are squeezing while quickly and assertively working the trigger ... the pain should be gone.  You work the tool, it doesn't work you.

17. JBIV

JBIV New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the great advice. I will try all the options and if all else fails just man up and deal with it. Pound for pound you just can not beat this little pistol. I am an owner of a few Rugers, invest in their good 'ol American company and think my eventual purchase of a LCP will not replace but only complament the P3AT.