Trigger reset

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kmunch, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    I have seen somewhere on this forum a mention of letting the P3AT's trigger completly reset. I have a brand new P3AT and am having light strike problems. The firing pin does not strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. I've even run the unfired roung thru the gun a second time and the round fired. So as I wait on replacement parts I was wondering if anyone knows if I'm not allowing the trigger to fully reset can that cause a misfire?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you have a new P3AT...the hammer will not drop of the block if you do not reset the trigger fully.

a test would be, with empty chamber and no magazine, slowlly pull the triger and watch the hammer. as you pull the trigger, the hammer comes back, then at the trigger break, the hammer slams foward. Keep holding the trigger at full pull
    rack the slide to reset the hammer. now slowly release the trigger till you here a very faint click, this should be about halve trigger reset. now pull the trigger. if the trigger can not be pulled and the hammer does not move, you have the new trigger that can not be the cause of a light strike.
    Now, if the trigger pulls back to break and the hammer falls with out coming back, you have the old trigger that will light strike if trigger is not fully relaesed

3. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    I;ll try it thanka

4. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

If you have the old set up don't despair--you can install the new anti short stroke system. Let us know.

5. My P3AT apparently has the old trigger. Will Kel-Tec send the updated parts, or will I have to send gun in?

Course, sending it back might be a good idea, as it may be elligible for other updates. It is serial # JNFxx

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

My J2Rxx had the old and my JPMxx had the new. Kel-Tec did send me the new/upgrade part for free. Installation was pretty straight forward but I did not do it before checking out instructions I found here on KTOG and maybe also YouTube.

Good luck...

7. I e-mailed Kel-Tec and the guy that responded said there was no upgrade available, and that I just need to quit short stroking it it.   :-? ::)

Anybody have a part # or something? I'll buy it if I have to. I can't carry a backup that will drop the hammer from half cock. It never fires half cock.

8. Nevermind. Mike at KT fiqured it out after talking with the engineering dept. They, as usual, are taking care of me. They really are great. :)