Trigger pull question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by downhill, Jul 18, 2008.

1. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Guys,
    I've seen numerous posts describing the stock trigger pull as being around 5#. I have two P3ATs. One was manufactured 2 1/2 years ago and one a month or two ago. Both of these guns have a trigger pull of 7 1/2 pounds on my RCBS trigger scale. That is with the scale hook located at the center of the trigger where your finger rides, and pulling back as your finger would. The only way I could get the gun to trip at about 5 1/2 was to hook the scale on the very tip of the trigger and pull it at a low angle. That's not a legitimate reading IMO. I tested my scale with known weights to be sure it was accurate, and it was right on.

So my question is: Are you guys who have the 5# guns measuring that from the middle of the trigger with a rearward pull?

2. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Hi downhill!

Yep! SOME P3AT/P32s are EIGHT pounds. You should notice a BIG difference with your new LHS-4 though.

Packer.

3. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    What is the LHS-4?

The message you sent to me for my P-3AT only goes to LHS-3

Thanks, Billy

4. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Hi Billy! The NORMAL LHS (Or the old DAT for that matter) Mod only has one fault. If you accidentally dry fire without a snap cap, the firing pin ends up jammed in the chamber. You can push it in with a dowel through the barrel, but it's a PITA. Also  eventually, dry firing without a snap cap will bend or break the FP.

The new LHS-4 version eliminates this fault. While you still shouldn't dry fire without a snap cap, at least if it DOES accidentally happen it won't jam up. It costs a little more than the LHS-3, but it's well worth it. I will email you the new info.

BTW: There are low-cost upgrades available for current DAT/LHS owners.

Packer.

5. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    2PP,
    I'll write more about the LHS later, but aside from the benefits of the lighter pull through the cycle, it also reduces the effort to rack the slide. You notice it most at the first part of the slide movement where the slide is breaking over the hammer. It basically makes the gun more enjoyable to shoot.

6. Pocono

Pocono New Member

May 21, 2008
    How easy is it to install?

7. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    If you get the drop in kit it's pretty easy. You do have to be able to dissassemble the gun down to the slide/ frame/ grip assemblies. I takes some basic tools and there are a few tricks to know, but it's withing just about anyones ability I think.